Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
ma678
Enthusiast
ma678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just borrowed a book from the library last night – so I'm going to see if the Return Borrowed Book option now shows up. ... (8th Generation Kindle aka NT3).

Yep. A new "Return to Public Library" option appears when long pressing. (Haven't actually tried it yet because I haven't read the book.)

EDIT: Overall the Kindle seems a little "snappier." The 5.6.1 update seemed to have introduced some small glitches (but it was worth it for the Custom Fonts). I'm hoping the 5.9.7 update cleans up those little glitches.

What do you mean"Return to public library"? Can I borrow books from local library similar to Kobo?
That's great news if true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ma678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:17 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
What do you mean"Return to public library"? Can I borrow books from local library similar to Kobo?

Not yet borrow, but that should only be an update away if Amazon wants to and Overdrive allows that. Competition is good - if Amazon puts Overdrive on all current Kindles, then maybe Kobo will have to reconsider making it a Aura One exclusive.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 PM   #18
ma678
Enthusiast

I don't see Return to Public Library option after update.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma678 View Post
Library borrowing on a Kindle is only available in the US. You have not filled in your location in your profile (it’s really helpful to do so!), so it’s not possible to answer your question.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:05 AM   #20
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Library borrowing on a Kindle is only available in the US. You have not filled in your location in your profile (it’s really helpful to do so!), so it’s not possible to answer your question.
As I am in the UK, I cannot borrow library books on my Kindle (not that this troubles me really). I have installed the update but have seen no differences.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #21
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
So, previously it was impossible to return a borrowed book?
Kindle Unlimited books could be (and still can be) returned by going to Kindle Store, tapping the Kindle Unlimited link, tapping My Library link, and then Return button next to the book.

Library books can be returned by using the ‘experimental browser’ and navigating to Manage Your Content & Devices (www.amazon.com/myx). But it takes a lot of patience.

So the new feature confers significant convenience, especially for library books.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyjam View Post
So, previously it was impossible to return a borrowed book?
You had to return borrowed library books from the Amazon website before, not directly from the Kindle device.

EDIT: I see this had already been answered. Sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited by rcentros; 08-02-2018 at 11:55 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #23
Pyjam
Zealot
Pyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityPyjam has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kindle Voyage
Thanks to both of you.
Pyjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I returned my first book via "Return to Public Library." It returned without issue, but the book still displayed when choosing "ALL" in the Menu. I'm guessing that, if I had clicked it, it would have given me the option to buy it. But I didn't think to test until I had deleted it via the Website. ...

(Re-borrowed and re-returned the book.)

I wanted to see what would happen. The cover disappears and then reappears in the ALL selection. If you try to return it to the library again (it allows you to try), you get an error "Problem Returning Your Book – We are unable to return your book. Please try again." If you click the cover you get the following ... "Title Not Available – (Title of Book) – This book was loaned to you and cannot be downloaded because the loan has ended." Then it gives you to option to "Cancel" (close the dialog) or "Purchase" the book. There's no option to delete the book from your online library. So that still has to be done via the website. But at least it gets back to the library via the Kindle.

(Sorry to ramble.)

Last edited by rcentros; 08-02-2018 at 05:10 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #25
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
According to Amazon, the 7th gen Paperwhite don't need this update. And I can not find an update for this Kindle anyway. What am I missing?
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #26
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashort View Post
According to Amazon, the 7th gen Paperwhite don't need this update. And I can not find an update for this Kindle anyway. What am I missing?
The update is available for that device.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=201756220
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #27
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Thank you jhowell !!!
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #28
ma678
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

No wonder there is no option.

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It may have been there before, but I’m seeing ‘inline’ Book Mentions: some book titles referenced in the text are hyperlinked with a little book icon next to them. If you tap on it you get a list of options: Buy This Book Now, View in Store, Try a Sample, View on Goodreads, Add to Goodreads Shelf, Add to Wish List.

If you don’t want to see these, you can turn them off in Reading Options, with other Highlights & About This Book settings.

The About This Book panel has had a Mentioned In This Book list for awhile, but these just link directly to the Kindle Store listing, and not all of these have inline Book Mentions (it is hard to determine whether all of the inline Book Mentions also appear in the Mentioned In This Book list, as there is no easy way to find all of the inline Book Mentions and compare lists).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:23 PM   #30
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It may have been there before, but I’m seeing ‘inline’ Book Mentions: some book titles referenced in the text are hyperlinked with a little book icon next to them. If you tap on it you get a list of options: Buy This Book Now, View in Store, Try a Sample, View on Goodreads, Add to Goodreads Shelf, Add to Wish List.

If you don’t want to see these, you can turn them off in Reading Options, with other Highlights & About This Book settings.

The About This Book panel has had a Mentioned In This Book list for awhile, but these just link directly to the Kindle Store listing, and not all of these have inline Book Mentions (it is hard to determine whether all of the inline Book Mentions also appear in the Mentioned In This Book list, as there is no easy way to find all of the inline Book Mentions and compare lists).
I noticed that a few weeks ago. It know it wasn’t from this update. Perhaps the last update?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote