Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #31
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Touch
It doesn't support blorb files. "Blorb gamefile support." is listed in the TODO file with the source.
Fvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by icantbebothered View Post
Is there any way to get zblorb files to run?

I tried replacing ZCODE with ZBLORB in "frotz_sh", but it didn't work.

[root@kindle root]# cd /mnt/us/extensions/frotz/

[root@kindle frotz]# bin/frotz_shell.sh
Code:

┌────────────────────Select Interactive Fiction File:──────────────────────┐
  │ Directories                         Files                                │
  │ ┌──────────────────────────────────┐┌──────^(-)────────────────────────┐ │
  │ │.                                 ││bryantcollection.zblorb           │ │
  │ │..                                ││bse.z5                            │ │
  │ │                                  ││building.z5                       │ │
  │ │                                  ││bunny.z5                          │ │
  │ │                                  ││burglar.z5                        │ │
  │ │                                  ││cabal.z5                          │ │
  │ │                                  ││candy.z5                          │ │
  │ │                                  ││castles-1.1.z5                    │ │
  │ │                                  ││causality.z5                      │ │
  │ │                                  ││cavern.z5                         │ │
  │ │                                  ││cavetrip.z5                       │ │
  │ │                                  ││cheater.z5                        │ │
  │ └──────────────────────────────────┘└──────v(+)─────────────────43%────┘ │
  │ ┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │
  │ │/mnt/us/if/bryantcollection.zblorb                                    │ │
  │ └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ │
  ├──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┤
  │                       <  OK  >            <Cancel>                       │
  └──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
Fatal error: Unknown Z-code version

There's the problem at least...]

EDIT:
Quote:
It doesn't support blorb files. "Blorb gamefile support." is listed in the TODO file with the source.
Maybe port ZOOM instead? http://www.logicalshift.demon.co.uk/unix/zoom/

So, No, not immediately

Last edited by twobob; 02-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #33
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fvek View Post
heh. there you go. should've saved my half hour fiddling about lol
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #34
twobob

Quote:
I would LOVE a build for the 3.... chances of that? can provide bits and bats to assist in the effort. or a looksie at your working makefile might do the trick. Thanks!

I see this on all devices. Cheers
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #35
Fvek
Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Fvek can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I would LOVE a build for the 3.... chances of that? can provide bits and bats to assist in the effort. or a looksie at your working makefile might do the trick. Thanks!

I see this on all devices. Cheers
I have not been following development for anything other than the touch. What's the differences between 3 and 5 that would affect this?

I choose frotz because it was the simplest z-machine to get up and running. Like I said, it compiled with only having to comment out the "won't run as root" check.

My Makefile changes were basic stuff: 1) change the values of CC, LIBS, and INCL to point to the cross-compile locations; 2) change PREFIX and CONFIG_DIR to "/mnt/us/bin" (probably not the best place -- what does everyone else's /mnt/us layout look like?); 3) comment out the sound support since that doesn't work.

There's other IF programs that support more things (like blorb, graphics, ALSA sound) and have built in file selection support instead of the kludge I used, so maybe we should look for an alternative as the Official Unofficial Kindle IF Player. I don't know which are the best ones out there, so any other suggestions?
Advert
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #36
twobob

Quote:
I have not been following development for anything other than the touch. What's the differences between 3 and 5 that would affect this?

I choose frotz because it was the simplest z-machine to get up and running. Like I said, it compiled with only having to comment out the "won't run as root" check.

My Makefile changes were basic stuff: 1) change the values of CC, LIBS, and INCL to point to the cross-compile locations; 2) change PREFIX and CONFIG_DIR to "/mnt/us/bin" (probably not the best place -- what does everyone else's /mnt/us layout look like?); 3) comment out the sound support since that doesn't work.

There's other IF programs that support more things (like blorb, graphics, ALSA sound) and have built in file selection support instead of the kludge I used, so maybe we should look for an alternative as the Official Unofficial Kindle IF Player. I don't know which are the best ones out there, so any other suggestions?
Essentially very little.

It you can use the Code Sourcery 2007q3 TC to build then happy days. (That's more or less what amazon used and compatible with all the KUAL devices)

There is no default X target on the lover devices but you can either target the FB equivalents on the libs (this is the usual trick) or worst case we do have an X to pull up supporting resources for the terminal.

In your case I see the actual changes being almost zero. Target a lower curses (I'll give you a dx one say for science). rebuild with lowest common denominator TC. runs on all the later devices.

Where I can I build all my stuff like this now to provide the widest support.

Kterm needs re/building for the lower devices, I've been tinkering with it on and off all day. bits need ripping, but not much.

a complete offering would be of advantage to everyone obviously.

Much appreciate your consideration on this.

more detail on TC could be provided. Possibly you current TC would work perfectly well with the right flags and targeting the correct lower curses.

I would happily test.

I have my "extra compatibility" flags here...

CFLAGS="-O2 -ffast-math -march=armv6j -mtune=arm1136jf-s -mfpu=vfp -mno-unaligned-access -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -flto -fuse-linker-plugin -fno-stack-protector -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE "

CXXFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -fno-use-cxa-atexit "

something along those lines.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #37
Fvek

My TC consists of the gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi package on Ubuntu 12.10, plus from the KTouch the contents of /usr/lib/ and some 2.12.1-version libs from /lib/ as needed.

So far I haven't needed to mess with CFLAGS to get things working on KT.

How much lower is the lowest kindle curses version? Any notable features missing from touch's v5.6?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
twobob

looking now

5.4. am PMing you

Certainly build it with those flags I gave you and I will test the result.

Chances are we will get away with it.

Honestly banging my head against building it myself. but in the interim and absence of that "success"

... This is a clearly awesome thing so close to fruition.

Last edited by twobob; 02-06-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
What version of Frontz do I need ? I can only see one on the link in the first post with 2.43>"CliFrotz for palmOS" but it's not 2.43d as stated in the op
Thanks & great work btw
EDIT** Or maybe the Kwest one ?

Last edited by gargoyle67; 03-05-2013 at 01:37 PM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #40
twobob

Hi... I think I provide the entire bundle?

Let me go check.

Ah no...

You want THIS one https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1359496363

and you'll need dialog (its also on the top post)

I COULD just provide the whole things as a bundle if the author NEVER intends to update it.

Thoughts on that FVEK?

Last edited by twobob; 03-05-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #41
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Thanks buddy
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #42
twobob

no worries... TAKE EXTRA CARE READING THE DIALOG NOTES!!!

Or you may find that is your next stumbling block..

If FVEK does not reply in a "reasonable" time-scale I will look to provide the entire bundle but IIRC he is a an active user and I don't want to tread on his excellent toes for the sake of end-user simplicity...

For the record we are going to bundle his dialog-touch build into kual-system (since he requested it be re-used) thus perhaps taking out that one step in the future.

Cheers.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #43
gargoyle67
Addict

mmm I have indeed stumbled I don't seem to be able to get the "Start Frotz" to show in KUAL, I'm guessing it's a directory structure fault on my part, I didn't have folders named "/mnt/us" on the root dir of my UK Kindle PW so I created my own, My dir structure is>
/mnt/us/bin/
/extensions/frotz/bin/
/if/Planetfa.z3

Don't know why I haven't got "/mnt/us" by default on my kindle pw ?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
mmm I have indeed stumbled I don't seem to be able to get the "Start Frotz" to show in KUAL, I'm guessing it's a directory structure fault on my part, I didn't have folders named "/mnt/us" on the root dir of my UK Kindle PW so I created my own, My dir structure is>
/mnt/us/bin/
/extensions/frotz/bin/
/if/Planetfa.z3

Don't know why I haven't got "/mnt/us" by default on my kindle pw ?
Yes you do, but not where you are looking.

The external (exported) root of USB storage is known internally as /mnt/us/
Which you can only see from within the Kindle file system.
Such as being a user in the kindle system by telnet, ssh, or viewed in one of the terminal add-ins.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
gargoyle67
Addict

Ah ok, So your saying I need some sort of file explorer installed on my kindle to move the files to the correct root USB location ?

Tags
dialog, frotz, interactive fiction, launcher add-ons, ncurses, xterm