Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #31
aha355
aha355 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I figured it out. I took launchpad's files which I had back ups saved on my computer from and edited those to work with kiterm. I also then realized when I was rereading this thread that I didn't chmod +x the file. At least I got it working now and I love it. I've been playing around with apps to see which ones work the best on the kindle. My biggest complaint is how the status bar from the kindle keeps popping up so I created and alias that closes the framework and another that restarts it. I think a great improvement would be to do something like duokan and be able to either start the kindle in command line or framework mode. My next project is to figure out how to compile apps directly on the kindle.
aha355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #32
MacUsers
MacUsers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xqtftqx View Post
luigis terminal only handles 25 lines, mine handles 50. so instead of only using the top half of the screen, mine can use the entire screen. more space for stuff like irssi
I still can't get it running in full screen. I downloaded the package from here.
The command-prompt is also changed from "[root@kindle root] #" to only "/ #" for some reason. Does anyone know what am I missing?

Also, is there any workaround to make the fonts a bit bigger? Cheers!!
MacUsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #33
aquarat
aquarat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Intl
Thanks for this AWESOME app! I've installed this and the "optware" NSLU package manager and now I've got a full on, usable system on my Kindle. I can even play bsdgames .
aquarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:36 AM   #34
hzsolt
hzsolt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I've sucessfully installed it, but, that would be great if someone do an update_*_install.bin to be able to install it, just as the other hacks :
hzsolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #35
danik
danik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G
Wink

Do you mean something like this?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154500
danik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #36
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by aha355 View Post
Starting information: using Kindle 3g 3rd gen

This is an amazing app, perfect for turning the kindle into a standalone device.

Except for one problem.

I can only get this to run if I run "# /mnt/us/kiterm/myts.arm" over SSH. As you can see this is a problem if I ever want to use the terminal apart from my home network and laptop.

I tried to fix it by uninstalling launchpad. Big surprise, I get the "U007" error and a failed update, which I had also gotten when trying to install duokan until I gave up and install over SSH. So I then decided to prevent it by starting. I backup up the launchpad files in init.d and rcS.d using winSCP. I then remounted root as read only and deleted them. After a reboot SHIFT+T still didn't bring up the terminal.

I'm getting to the point where I'll back everything up and just restore my kindle to factory default and try again.

I think it would be really cool to have a native debian install on my kindle...

Still have launchpad installed? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=154500

is better than mine
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:46 AM   #37
mbspringer
mbspringer began at the beginning.

Device: none
shell commands on my kindle touch

root-> busybox
BusyBox v1.17.1 (2012-01-06 16:20:52 PST) multi-call binary. Copyright (C) 1998-2009 Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, Denys Vlasenko and others. Licensed under GPLv2. See source distribution for full notice.

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
or: function [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix utilities into a single executable. Most people will create a link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox will act like whatever it was invoked as.

Currently defined functions:
[, [[, acpid, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, ash, awk, basename, bash, beep, bootchartd, brctl, cat, chgrp, chmod, chown, chpasswd, chroot, cmp, cp, crond, crontab, cut, date, dd, delgroup, deluser, devmem, df, dhcprelay, diff, dirname, dmesg, dnsdomainname, du, dumpleases, echo, env, expr, false, fbset, fbsplash, fdisk, fgconsole, fgrep, find, flock, freeramdisk, fsync, ftpd, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, hd, head, hexdump, hostname, hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifenslave, ifplugd, ifup, install, ionice, ip, kbd_mode, kill, killall, klogd, less, ln, logger, login, logname, losetup, lpd, lpq, lpr, ls, lspci, lsusb, lzop, lzopcat, makedevs, makemime, man, md5sum, microcom, mkdir, mkfifo,mknod, mktemp, more, mv, nc, netstat, nice, nslookup, passwd, pgrep,pidof, ping, pipe_progress, pivot_root, pkill, popmaildir, printf, pwd, rdate, rdev, readlink, realpath, reformime, renice, rev, rm, rmdir, route, rtcwake, run-parts, scriptreplay, sed, sendmail, seq, setfont, sh, sha256sum, sha512sum, showkey, sleep, smemcap, sort, start-stop-daemon, stat, strings, stty, su, sync, tac, tail, tar, tee,telnet, test, time, timeout, touch, tr, traceroute, true, tty, tunctl,udhcpc, udhcpd, uname, uniq, unlzop, unxz, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, volname, wall, wc, wget, which, who, whoami, xargs, xz, xzcat, yes, zcat
mbspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #38
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
I managed to run this on my Kindle Touch. When I run myts.arm, it prompts:

listen on 127.0.0.1:8022
select returns 0

and when I browse localhost:8022 in my browser, it gives an error. As a quick question, what do you get on your Kindle 3s guys?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #39
RastyG
RastyG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G GB
Hello

Can kiterm-20110107fs coexist with launchpad yet?

Thanks for answer
RastyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #40
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RastyG View Post
Hello

Can kiterm-20110107fs coexist with launchpad yet?

Thanks for answer
I used the newer version (myts6) from matan with launchpad. It worked quite nicely (and it comes with the launchpad script). The keydefs were for DX, but K3 keydefs were published in that thread...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:15 AM   #41
RastyG
RastyG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G GB
Launchpad of Kiterm

Hello guys

As I haven't managed to install "h1uke's Launchpad" because of U007 error while update, I tried to use in-build launchpad of Kiterm with "customizable" /mnt/us/kiterm/launchpad.ini conf file for starting of some scripts and it works pretty well.

Can you please tell me what are main differencies between "h1uke's Launchpad" and in-build launchpad of Kiterm I'm using?

Will I be able to manage 3rd party applications (e.g. mplayer) with "Launchpad of Kiterm" the same way as "h1uke's Launchpad" do?

Thanks for your answers

Rasty

Last edited by RastyG; 07-22-2012 at 03:23 AM.
RastyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #42
W3S
W3S began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 and 4
kiterm on lower part of screen

I have kindle 3 with broken display and I can see just lower half of screen.
I installed fullscreen kiterm and it works fine and portable linux terminal is now last chance for life for this device
But is there any easy hack to sources to make term run just in half screen (like Luigi's kiterm) but in the lower part?
Thanks for help.
W3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #43
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by W3S View Post
I have kindle 3 with broken display and I can see just lower half of screen.
I installed fullscreen kiterm and it works fine and portable linux terminal is now last chance for life for this device
But is there any easy hack to sources to make term run just in half screen (like Luigi's kiterm) but in the lower part?
Thanks for help.
You could use it with the "screen scroller" app, which you can manually launch from the KUAL extension. That would allow you to move the top half of the display (containing the terminal) down to the bottom half of the display.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #44
kindlepunk
kindlepunk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3W
All I get after ssh in to test the myts.arm

root@kindle /mnt/us/kiterm/myts.arm
Launchpad start routine

hangs in term

nothing happening with kindle screen
kindlepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:01 AM   #45