Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I used a Kobo Glo for about a year. As a reader, it was fine, and other than the occasional lock up, it had no chronic issues. But I really appreciate the wireless delivery options of Kindles. If Kobo had a similar option, I would have kept using the Glo. I had no experience with Kobo support either, but have always had terrific support from Amazon.

I get books from various sources, and have no issue with format shifting. But I don't want to have to use my computer when it's time to send a book to my reader. It's just not convenient for me. I'm loving my Oasis 2, and my only complaint is the battery life. But for my needs, plugging it in every 4-5 days is no problem.

I've had several Kindle models, and only one issue when I needed warranty help from Amazon. I had a new Kindle with 48 hours of the call.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I used a Kobo Glo for about a year. As a reader, it was fine, and other than the occasional lock up, it had no chronic issues. But I really appreciate the wireless delivery options of Kindles. If Kobo had a similar option, I would have kept using the Glo. I had no experience with Kobo support either, but have always had terrific support from Amazon.

I get books from various sources, and have no issue with format shifting. But I don't want to have to use my computer when it's time to send a book to my reader. It's just not convenient for me. I'm loving my Oasis 2, and my only complaint is the battery life. But for my needs, plugging it in every 4-5 days is no problem.

I've had several Kindle models, and only one issue when I needed warranty help from Amazon. I had a new Kindle with 48 hours of the call.
HUH??? No Wireless?? No Wifi??? NOT TRUE! I have the 2013 Kobo Aura 6" It DOES have WiFi ... I had it since Nov 2016 its Never Locked up Unlike the Kindle PW that Always locked up for Days!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where did I say they had no WiFi? You know what I meant, you just disagree with every post I make.

You only have wireless delivery of books on a Kobo when you buy the book from Kobo. One of the newer Kobo's has a direct tie to some public libraries. But the Glo I had needed to be connected via usb in order to load non-Kobo books. Kobo has no wireless option such as the @Kindle email address that gives wireless ability to non-Amazon books.

The Paperwhites we have had have been almost flawless in their stability. I have never experienced abnormal behavior that was not cured by a reboot. Never.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevex View Post
If I am honest the whole post from Xen is weird from start to finish. I have used Nook Kindle and Kobo. I just dont recognise what Xen is writing, especially the missing epub content. And what’s ‘the native os is so bad i had to downlad a different os’ mean?
I assumed he used Koreader instead of Nickle?

The customer service gripes ring true from what I've read here.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Where did I say they had no WiFi? You know what I meant, you just disagree with every post I make.

You only have wireless delivery of books on a Kobo when you buy the book from Kobo. One of the newer Kobo's has a direct tie to some public libraries. But the Glo I had needed to be connected via usb in order to load non-Kobo books. Kobo has no wireless option such as the @Kindle email address that gives wireless ability to non-Amazon books.

The Paperwhites we have had have been almost flawless in their stability. I have never experienced abnormal behavior that was not cured by a reboot. Never.
Hard to reboot when the device is locked....
Old 08-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Hard to reboot when the device is locked....
No, it isn't. A reboot requires pressing and holding the power button for 30-40 seconds, it has nothing to do with navigating a menu. How do you not know that after all your time here and the old Kindle forum?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I DID ALL that Several Days in fact. Even Amazon Tech couldn't unlock them! Read all about in in the Kindle Forum.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
It doesn't have an email service like Kindle, but it's not true that you cannot get books onto your device wirelessly. You can use the Calibre content server or a cloud storage service.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:36 AM   #24
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Switched once but moved back to Kindle.
If Kobo opened their cloud to books I got from other sources I might reconsider.
Combined with some of the troubles I had with firmware and devices it was not worth the hassle then because I lost a bunch of annotations. That‘s really the greatest downside in my opinion: it is infinitely more complicated to backup annotations on the Kobo. And even if you get them out they will be gone from the books once you do a firmware reset (something that is more likely on Kobo than it is on Kindle).
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #25
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
My Aura One seems to ask for a password whenever I disable then re-enable it. Wifi chipsets are pretty efficient in using power these days, so I rarely disable it now
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
Deskisamess
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It doesn't have an email service like Kindle, but it's not true that you cannot get books onto your device wirelessly. You can use the Calibre content server or a cloud storage service.
I tried that a few time with the Kobo Glo HD browser. It was hit and miss, and always extremely sluggish. At times I could also access DropBox, but again, so slow and didn't always work. I wasn't willing to do that all the time, because of the slowness and unrealiabilty of the process.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #27
crankypants
Hmm.
crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crankypants ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android 4.2 Google Play Reader
The only problem I have is the font sizes come out on my Kobo Aura H2O in lots of different sizes. I think I have my options set to "use EPUB font" but the font size is the same in the Kobo options. So when I open an EPUB and the font is really tiny, I go to the options and increase the font. Then when I go to another EPUB, the font is way too large and I have to reduce the font size again.

I wish all EPUBs would appear in the same size that it shows in my Kobo Options.

I seem to have the latest firmware update from May 2018.

That said, there are lots of crappy EPUBs out there like on Google Books and Archive.org. They are just quick scans and OCRs of physical pages with no proofreading at all. You never know how the book will appear on the Kobo for these. That's why it's become a hobby of mine to proofread books in Markdown, and convert that to EPUB.

Last edited by crankypants; 09-06-2018 at 01:23 PM.
crankypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #28
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post

Two only problems:
1. It is not as responsive as the Kindle, but it is still acceptable.
2. often it wants the password when connecting to wi fii (with the kindle when you have set it once you do not have to worry anymore). Sometimes it does not connect immediately but only on the second or third attempt.
Nothing is perfect but I am very satisfied with my Kobo.
I had problems with wi fii with firmware 4.9.11311, most Kobo users had wi fii problems with 4.10.11591 that was immediately replaced with 4.10.11655. Now with last firmware also my problems seem solved, I hope definitively.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
I switched from kindle paperwhite to kobo aura one, I just love the auro one design. I do prefer the kindle firmware a little little bit more, but the kobo firmware is great also.

I only buy epubs, but it was no problem to convert them to azw3 for my kindle in the past, I just like the aura one design, it's beautiful. If I could buy the kobo aura one with the kindle firmware it would go from 90% perfection to 100% perfection.
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #30
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
I switched from kindle paperwhite to kobo aura one, I just love the auro one design. I do prefer the kindle firmware a little little bit more, but the kobo firmware is great also.

I only buy epubs, but it was no problem to convert them to azw3 for my kindle in the past, I just like the aura one design, it's beautiful. If I could buy the kobo aura one with the kindle firmware it would go from 90% perfection to 100% perfection.
Well, I agree with You but some kobo feature are superior to kindle. I would like to have responsiveness of Kindle without losing integration with calibre of Kobo (metadata like shelves, collection and so on).

And I would like no rendering problems with kepub
With kfx there are no rendering problems and very good pop up notes (not so good in kobo) and it is more easy to have full screen images.

A Aura One (I love red blue light control and, of course, 7.8") with a mix of best features of firmware of kindle and kobo

Last edited by ps67; 09-07-2018 at 08:14 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote