Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
piano4tay
piano4tay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre sometimes not importing PDF books....

Hi Folks,

I've recently discovered that Calibre is - apparently randomly, since it doesn't happen all the time - not correctly importing eBooks in pdf format. The title appears in the 'Title' column but there's no cover (just the generic brown thing) and under 'Author' is listed 'unknown'. When I click on the File Path the book appears to be there, along with metadata, but the file size is very small (eg. 0.1 MB for a 2.4MB book), and it won't open in Acrobat because 'the root object is missing or invalid'. My original file which I've tried to import is fine and opens in Acrobat, and has no security protection. This has happened several times now with random books, and unfortunately may have been going on for some time with several versions of Calibre (currently using 2.68). Can anyone help with a solution?

Thanks!
Mark
piano4tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13
60872&postcount=1

Incorrectly?

Besides being PDF with those issues mentioned in the Link

Calibre expects All books to supply proper metadata (when not in Filename mode)

Missing Metadata... Missing/broken Declaration (in book)

Do Small Batches and fix as you go (assumes that there are not other PDF issues)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calirbe does not touch files when importing. The imported copy is a byte-to-byte exact copy of the original file. The only exception to that is if you have installed some thrird party plugin like the DRM removal plugin, that modifies files on import. Uninstall/disable that plugin and you will be fine.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
piano4tay
piano4tay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Many thanks Kovidgoyal - that solved the problem!

Mark
piano4tay is offline   Reply With Quote