Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #1
JoeF
JoeF began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook
Calibre and softrooted 1.4 nook

The latest nook softroot, 2.4.1, based on B&N 1.4, changed the USB vendor id, since they are now doing Android adb connection through USB.
This resulted in Calibre no longer detecting the nook.
The version of Calibre I am using is 0.6.29, since my current system (Slackware 12.2) has Glibc 2.7 only.
calibre-debug -d returns:
USB devices on system:
[['0x1d6b', '0x2', '0x206', 'Linux 2.6.29.6 ehci_hcd', 'EHCI Host Controller'],
['0x5e3', '0x606', '0x702', '', 'USB2.0 Hub'],
['0x451', '0x1446', '0x110', '', ''],
['0x51d', '0x2', '0x106', 'APC', 'Back-UPS ES 550 FW:840.B2.D USB FW:B2'],
['0x1d6b', '0x1', '0x206', 'Linux 2.6.29.6 uhci_hcd', 'UHCI Host Controller'],
['0x18d1', '0x1', '0x322', 'Linux 2.6.27-svn18303 with s3c-udc', 'nook'],
['0x7a6', '0x986', '0x101', 'D-Link Inc.', 'D-Link USB to 10/100TX']]
None
Looking for BEBOOK
Looking for BEBOOK_MINI
Looking for BLACKBERRY
Looking for CYBOOKG3
Looking for ILIAD
Looking for IREXDR1000
Looking for JETBOOK
Looking for KINDLE
Looking for KINDLE2
Looking for KINDLE_DX
Looking for NOOK
Looking for PRS505
Looking for PRS700
Looking for PRS500
Looking for ANDROID
Looking for N770
Looking for N810
Looking for CYBOOK_OPUS
Looking for COOL_ER
Looking for ESLICK
Looking for NUUT2
Looking for IRIVER_STORY
Looking for POCKETBOOK360
Looking for GER2
Looking for ITALICA
Looking for SHINEBOOK
Looking for ECLICTO
Looking for EB600

Any way to get an updated nook detection for this old version?
JoeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
JoeF

Update: For now, I used a hex editor to patch the nook driver.pyc with the new vendor id. That works for me.
Unfortunately, I didn't find the source for 0.6.29 on sourceforge. Can somebody point me to it?
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cali...ar.gz/download
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
JoeF

Thanks. Appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #5
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
Help for a NOOB

Hi everyone,

I just updated my nook to the new softroot, but I have no idea how to make it compatible with calibre. I have searched everywhere for a solution, but can't find one. Can anyone help me?? Thanks in advance!

Nicole

P.S. I downloaded the file and tried to change the vendor id, but I'm obviously not doing something right. I'm lost!!
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the next release of calibre will have the needed vendor id
Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
Thanks - I appreciate it! And I appreciate all the hard work you do for us!!

Nicole
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #8
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
the next release of calibre will have the needed vendor id
First of all, thank you for Calibre! I enjoy using Calibre so much because it's easy to use, fast, and bug free as far as I can tell.

I am thinking about rooting my nook with the softmod variation. I like the idea of everything in nice folders, and I want more information available to me (synopsis, metadata) on the nook.

Anyway, do you have any idea when the next update might be and, if I do root my nook, will I be able to use Calibre with a rooted nook as well as a second nook I have that will not be rooted (my wife's)? I'm thinking I should be able to, but I'm covering all the bases before taking the plunge.

Thanks for your help and for Calibre!
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:47 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre is released once a week and you can use it with multiple nooks irrespective of their softroot status
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre is released once a week and you can use it with multiple nooks irrespective of their softroot status
Once a week? Amazing. Your commitment and hard work is appreciated!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
jettrue
Enthusiast
jettrue began at the beginning.

Device: Android
How do I edit the file so that my mac recognizes my nook. I can't find the file that needs to be adjusted. I've also recently softrooted.
jettrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
How do I edit the file so that my mac recognizes my nook. I can't find the file that needs to be adjusted. I've also recently softrooted.
Just wait for the next calibre release which should be released in 1 to 3 days.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #13
JoeF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrue View Post
If you can't wait for the next release, see this: http://nookdevs.com/Calibre
Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

I read the directions from nookdevs, and perhaps I'm not as computer saavy as some, but how exactly do you add the new ID to a pyo file?

The guys at nookdevs are obviously pretty good with nooks and computers, but for the layperson many of their descriptions on how to do things are severely lacking. The nook is a mass market product which means most people who own one are not doing to have a developer's mindset.

My best guess is I would need some sort of hex editor to open and add to the pyo file, but that's only a guess since the "instructions" are not very clear at all.

Thankfully, the developer of Calibre appears to realize these facts and is making the event seamless to the end user by updating the software to account for the softroot needs.

Now, if only nookdevs would do the same thing with the ADB app...
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #15
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur

Got the calibre update but now calibre thinks my 4 Gb SD card is my Main and my external SD is is my 2 Gb internal.

The program failed to find any of my existing books on either drive and now when I try to save to my 4Gb card it saves to the main internal...which it thinks is 4Gb but is not. All the books on the 4Gb card are not showing so I guess I need a solution. I have over 400 books, so anything simple would be best.

Thanks!