Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Which font-type do you prefer for the Reader?
Sans Serif (Swiss 721 BT Roman) 7 26.92%
Serif (Dutch 801 Rm BT Roman) 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Do you prefer the Reader's serif or its sans serif font? (poll)

I've converted various documents (mainly RTF) for the Reader these days, and what I discovered is that generally I prefer the sans serif font that comes with the Reader rather than its serif font.

For you to try out: I've attached two versions of Peter Watts' sci-fi novel Starfish; one comes in serif, the other in sans serif. For both, I picked a font size of 14pt which I find pleasant to read on the Reader in medium scale.

So which font type do you prefer when you read texts on the Reader?

Edit: scottcstoness posted a similar poll which allows you to demo various different embedded PDF fonts on the Reader and vote for them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip PeterWatts_Starfish.zip (533.4 KB, 680 views)
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I chose the Serif font. I like it because it's a nice and good readable font. Also it looks more like a p-book.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I also voted for the serif font. While san serif is great for headers, I find the serif is easier on the eyes for long reads than serif -- given a good resolution. On the old Palm where I could easily see the dots in each character, san serif was better as the serifs made the letters look muddy and ill formed.

Now if someone can figure out the hack to load Bookman as the serif font I would be a very happy camper.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've long prefered sans serif, it just seems more readable to me.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Can anyone take a pic for us lowly ones who are sans-Sony?
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2006, 12:19 AM   #6
scottcstoness
Enthusiast
scottcstoness began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
I've long prefered sans serif, it just seems more readable to me.
I actually prefer serif on the reader for RTF files, but with the way it displays PDF files, I find that it seems to work better with sans serif; in particular, I'm enjoying Open Office's Verdana font (created a .pdf file with 16 different Open Office fonts, picked the one I liked best).
scottcstoness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:58 AM   #7
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
It has to be Serif, 11 or 12 pt single line spacing. If eInk truely mimics paper ... then typographical thinking landed lon ago on what is generally accepted to be the most readable font and size, pick any paperback off a shelf and 95% will be very similar ...
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
Sans-serif is almost always a better reading font on a screen, whereas the serif fonts are better on paper. Our eye do funky things with light ya know.

As a web designer/developer, I would rather see sans-serif everywhere except in headings and first characters in creative writing online. Its just a nicer way to make the visuals of language flow IMO.
Antoine of MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Serif looks more 'official' in some way. If i read san-serif it's not like i read a book, it feels more like i read somebody's neat (hand)typed text.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
De gustibus non disputandum est.

or if you prefer

If we all had the same taste in cars, we'd all be driving black Fords.

I prefer Serf Fonts myself.
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote