Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Amazon Begins To Run TV Ads For The Kindle

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...he_kindle.html

Is Amazon feeling the pressure from the impending launch of Apple’s iPad? While we can’t be entirely sure whether the company is feeling the heat or not, what we do know is that Amazon has begun to shell out money to run ads for its Kindle, and those ads have been slotted into prime time on major channels, hinting that Amazon is ready to go all out to get maximum exposure. Apple’s iPad ad is getting some real good exposure at the moment, so it‘ll be interesting to see how well Amazon’s ad do in light of that. The eBook reader war is just about to heat up, isn’t it?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I've noticed the ads running today and yesterday, including a new one, albeit as idiotic as the original. Undoubtedly this is due to the upcoming release of the iPad but why, oh why don't they produce a decent ad?

For anyone not familiar with the Kindle, the ads do absolutely nothing to show its function and features (as several non-Kindle friends have reminded me). One would never know it was advertising the Kindle until the last few seconds of the ad.

Last edited by Skydog; 03-27-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
In my market, the one with just the woman and the Kindle has been airing for months, but the new one with the guy and the woman from the first commercial has been playing for about a week. From what I recall, the first ad was the winner in an Amazon Kindle ad contest. I think in both cases the main someone is holding the Kindle throughout nearly the entire commercial, but if you don't know what a Kindle looks like, the commercial doesn't make much sense.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Dumb commercials; they are art pieces rather than selling devices. Won't get people who don't know what e-readers can do interested in them.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I've seen the commercials and they're dumb. I can't figure out what the product is supposed to do from the ad so why would I buy it?
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
And to think that money could be invested towards making a good reader in the future....

Edit: Just watched the ads. Wow. Don't they know that reality works differently for people who aren't on drugs?

Last edited by LDBoblo; 03-28-2010 at 09:06 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
iPad TV ad looks much better:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle adverts have been running for sometime. The problem is they aren't actually selling Kindles as much as selling the songs used in the ads. To be honest, if I didn't know about the Kindle, I'd still not know about the Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Yep, these ads started running in last November or December.

By the way, ads -- especially TV ads -- are rarely about conveying factual information about a product. What do dancing silhouettes have to do with a portable music player? I doubt 1 out of 100 people who bought an SUV drove it through the Australian Outback or parked it on top of a mesa.

What are you people, new?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Yep, these ads started running in last November or December.

By the way, ads -- especially TV ads -- are rarely about conveying factual information about a product. What do dancing silhouettes have to do with a portable music player? I doubt 1 out of 100 people who bought an SUV drove it through the Australian Outback or parked it on top of a mesa.

What are you people, new?
The difference is you can figure out that the ad is about when it comes to a car. Even the iPod commercials are easy to figure out - people have headphones in holding a walkman-like device while dancing.

I just rewatched one of the Kindle commercials and have no clue what the white rectangle is supposed to do. Does it make you a bank robber, mad scientist, get you a girl, ...? It's just an artsy piece with no clear cut direction.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #11
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The difference is you can figure out that the ad is about when it comes to a car. Even the iPod commercials are easy to figure out - people have headphones in holding a walkman-like device while dancing.

I just rewatched one of the Kindle commercials and have no clue what the white rectangle is supposed to do. Does it make you a bank robber, mad scientist, get you a girl, ...? It's just an artsy piece with no clear cut direction.
Well as Kali Yuga said, they aren't seeking to inform the public about the device or service. Rather, the idea is to establish a personality and image with people who are already passively familiar with the name.

I still hate the ads though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Well as Kali Yuga said, they aren't seeking to inform the public about the device or service. Rather, the idea is to establish a personality and image with people who are already passively familiar with the name.

I still hate the ads though.
I guess I'm just not the demographic the ads are aimed at since I'm not enticed to learn more about Kindle.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think most people who might be open to a Kindle already know a bit about what it is and what it does. It's been on Amazon's front page for a long time now. It's been in the news quite a bit. I think the ad is more about bringing it back into the minds of people who may have already been tossing around the idea then establishing demand in people who have no clue what an ebook reader is.

Maybe they're increasing advertising because they're afraid of losing ground to the iPad. Maybe they're trying to move out the old model because something new is coming in a few months. Who knows?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I am no ad or marketing expert but when Amazon does not have the advantage of a brick and mortar location (as does Sony or Apple) to take the "hands-on" test drive, I would think the ads would and should offer effective illustrations of the features and functions of the Kindle.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I've seen that ad with the woman and the kindle for quite some time (although, ironically enough, I haven't seen it in the past month or so...?). At first I hated it and always forgot what it was for. Then I grew to love it. The music, I love the music and the flow of the pictures. I did try to figure out why they'd do that, and I finally realized they are setting a mood for the device. I haven't seen any new ads for the Kindle yet though. Everyone I know irl has always, it seems, known about the kindle. No one has ever heard of the sony device, or any other devices out there (except, recently, the nook). So I'd say amazon has done a great job advertising all along. I think for most of the people I know irl, kindle is synonymous for ereader device.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote