Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Sony 300 or Refurbished Kindle 1st Gen

Of course, my main concern is 4 levels of grey in the 1st Gen Kindle vs. 8 in the Sony. The prices are the same (both $200.) If grey levels were not an issue, I'd just go with the Kindle. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If the gray levels are an issue to you, then go with the one that has more.

I'll add that the Sony 300 is much more portable than the K1. I actually returned my K1 because I found it far too bulky considering the relatively small size of the screen.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
Of course, my main concern is 4 levels of grey in the 1st Gen Kindle vs. 8 in the Sony. The prices are the same (both $200.) If grey levels were not an issue, I'd just go with the Kindle. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks
If its from Amazon, you have 30 days to return it, no questions asked, for a full refund minus shipping.

If you read novels mainly, the Kindle would offer the widest variety and lowest prices on ebooks.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The number of grey-scales is irrelevent unless you're planning to use it to read comics. All devices will "dither" pictures, and for book covers, illustrations in books, etc, it really makes very little difference.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I would decide based on whether you value a dictionary and the Amazon store more or less than portability and the ability to use multiple formats. In other words, think about exactly what you want to do with your device (e.g. what types of books you want, where you will use it most of the time, etc.) and it should be pretty easy to figure out which one fits your needs, because those particular devices are very different from one another.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #6
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If you read novels mainly, the Kindle would offer the widest variety and lowest prices on ebooks.
I have to disagree with this statement.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I have to disagree with this statement.
okay....because...................
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Sony is getting a lot better with prices and availability, but Kindle does still have the edge on that one.

I really wouldn't worry about the grayscales. The Sony is much slimmer than the K1, but the K1 also comes with a cover, whereas the 300 comes with a sleeve, and the K1 has expandable memory.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the input. This is a great community. If I'm "tech savvy" enough, will I have trouble getting other formats onto the Kindle? I really do like the dictionary feature, and I don't plan on reading anything other than text, so I think that's the direction I'm leaning toward. If I have non DRM'd content, is it relatively simple to bring it over to the Kindle?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Thanks for all the input. This is a great community. If I'm "tech savvy" enough, will I have trouble getting other formats onto the Kindle? I really do like the dictionary feature, and I don't plan on reading anything other than text, so I think that's the direction I'm leaning toward. If I have non DRM'd content, is it relatively simple to bring it over to the Kindle?
Just hook the K up to your computer, and drag and drop into the "documents" folder........
Old 09-15-2009, 12:45 PM   #11
jupstin
Groupie

I just checked on Amazon, and the refurbished Gen 1 Kindle was $150. I decided to take the plunge
Old 09-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I just checked on Amazon, and the refurbished Gen 1 Kindle was $150. I decided to take the plunge
Again, you cannot go wrong with this decision. If you do not care for it, you can return it........no harm, no foul.

Let us know what you think!
Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Karma coming your way for the 'heads up'. I just ordered one for my granddaughters 21st birthday. She's been wanting one.........
Old 09-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #14
jupstin
Groupie

Quote:
Karma coming your way for the 'heads up'. I just ordered one for my granddaughters 21st birthday. She's been wanting one.........
Awesome. It was pretty hard to pass it up at that price.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #15
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
I've seen no evidence to support that claim. There are more books at the Amazon store than the Sony store, but those are far from being the only places to get ebooks, and why novels in particular? I'm currently reading a novel (When it was Dark by Guy Thorne) that is only available in epub format.