Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Folders

I have a library of documents in plain text. I'm looking for a reader that will:

(1) Act as a USB mass storage device, so I can transfer books to and from the device without additional software.

(2) Allow me to put books on the device (or storage card) in the hierarchical folder structure of my choice, and then to browse the folders in the reader UI, without building some internal database of metadata.

Does any current ebook reader meet these requirements? Thanks

Ken
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbaldwin View Post
(1) Act as a USB mass storage device, so I can transfer books to and from the device without additional software.

(2) Allow me to put books on the device (or storage card) in the hierarchical folder structure of my choice, and then to browse the folders in the reader UI, without building some internal database of metadata.
There are currently two available that I know of which support folders.

1. The BeBook/EZ Reader/Hanlin V3. There are different brands of the same Jinke built device.

2. The Jetbook. This is a 5inch LCD reflexive screen device which many members here have. But, it is not as popular because it is not an eInk device and it has the 5inch rather than the 6inch screen.

There have been promises from others but nothing released yet.

PS: Oh... I think the iRex devices support folders too. but I am not sure on that. Someone else will correct me if I am wrong I am sure.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW: Pretty much all the devices out there do mount as a mass storage device on Windows/Mac/Linux.

Sony PRS500 (older discontinued model) does not.

BOb
Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
kenbaldwin
Connoisseur
kenbaldwin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks, Bob!
kenbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
I just got my Jetbook today. I love it. I had a ton of text files, a ton of lit files and simply will be spending my evening converting the lit files to text and putting them on my new toy.

I would suggest if you get a Jetbook you do a couple things, I'm unsure if all readers are the same, this is just based on what I've learned so far.

Clean up the file. If its a text file, make the effort and remove all of the spaces. This will allow for cleaner page breaks.

Check how your reader labels the file. I noticed quickly that the Jetbook names its files something like "Lucy_Maud_Montgomer#Anne_of_Green_Gables" this format allows the author name to be above the title in the way the other books are. Its a bit of work, but worth it.

If you're like me, invest in a few cards. I've got genres on each disk. On the Jetbook, it only takes up to 2GB cards, but that allows 10,000 books. I've got several 2GB cards, and each has only a few hundred, but they are categorized by genre or in some cases, authors. I've got room for a ton more.

I'm sure someone can pipe up with their machines specs, but I am really loving the ease on my new Jetbook.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I just got my Jetbook today. I love it. I had a ton of text files, a ton of lit files and simply will be spending my evening converting the lit files to text and putting them on my new toy.
You might want to check into converting to FB2. I hear is a better format and the FB2 reader on the Jetbook is better than the txt reader.

BOb
Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You might want to check into converting to FB2. I hear is a better format and the FB2 reader on the Jetbook is better than the txt reader.

BOb

I've heard this too. And yeah, that may happen especially for my works with pictures. I will admit, I need to learn the format before I play with it however.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote