Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Serif or Sans Serif Fonts for reading?
Serif 29 65.91%
Sans Serif 15 34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Question Serif or Sans Serif for readability?

Serif Font on top, Sans Serif on bottom.

Which do you prefer? Also if you have a specific font please say so.

I am curious what people like.

Myself... I like Sans Serif, but I think most books, if not all, that I have bought on Amazon for the Kindle have been Serif.

Last edited by kilofox; 02-19-2009 at 12:19 PM.
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sans serif is easier on my eyes, because it doesn't have the distracting "decorations" around each letter.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is a reason why virtually all books are printed in Serif fonts - it's what the majority of people prefer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Personally I have a slight preference for a serif font on screen. I'm just more comfortable with them, but I have no problem with sans-serif fonts on screen most of the time. (I've bought some ebooks that were sans serif and got used to them fairly quickly).

Paper's a different story.

I cannot stand sans serif fonts in general, or Arial in particular on any printed document over 10 pages or so. It's just a pain to read.

Online it's no big deal - but Arial on paper is a mess. Since I do a lot of manuscript work, I generally leave any word-processing software set to something with serifs for anyone who has to use a printout of the document.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
kilofox
Connoisseur
kilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litterkilofox doesn't litter

In the end... I can deal with either. I just find San Serif more "relaxing" to my eyes. I tend to see more Sans Serif online than I do in paper.
kilofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
In the end... I can deal with either. I just find San Serif more "relaxing" to my eyes. I tend to see more Sans Serif online than I do in paper.
I think this also has to do with the Font... face it, some fonts are just crap. A good quality serif font can be very pleasing to read.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is a reason why virtually all books are printed in Serif fonts - it's what the majority of people prefer.
... and there is also a reason why most of the on-line content is presented using sans-serif fonts. Including Mobileread.

The vast majority of text that appears on screen is in sans-serif. With the possible exception of text inside Text Processors, or DTP programs. Sans serif is much more readable on a low resolution medium. And e-ink *is* low resolution medium and will remain low resolution medium until it doubles its dpi to at least 300.

let's have a look, once again at quote from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans_serif
---- quote ----
Sans-serif fonts have become the de facto standard for body text on-screen, especially online. This is partly because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs. However, the resolution of digital displays in general can make fine details like serifs disappear or appear too large.
---- end of quote ----
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
Myself... I like Sans Serif, but I think most books, if not all, that I have bought on Amazon for the Kindle have been Serif.
You can measure how much easier it is to read one or the other.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_S...l_Presentation
and try some of the programs.
Try different fonts and see how many words per minute you can comfortably read
Old 02-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
kacir
Wizard

The pool question is very unclear.

I propose
What font do you prefer for reading ON [e-ink] SCREEN?
Serif
Sans Serif
Old 02-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Nope, that's what publishers prefer. For readability, sans serif is probably better, but serif looks nicer.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I actually prefer sans serif, though it's hard to find anything printed in it.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #12
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

I strongly prefer serif when reading a book. But I'd rather see sans serif on a website, because I like to use a fairly small text size and most serif fonts get distracting to me at smaller sizes.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
San serif on low resolution devices like a Cybook (Lucida Sans) and serif on paper.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
The font used on the Kindle (1) is a very crisp serif font. Even though the e-Ink screen isn't as high-res as print, this font displays very nicely and is easy on the eyes. I'd have to pick up my Sony reader -- and it's currently asleep in my backpack -- to check and see what fonts have been used in the couple of purchased books I have. The majority of books I have on the Sony were created using Calibre and I haven't gotten my hands around setting a font other than the default. Might be worth some experimenting.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I read my first e-books on PDAs like Palm or Sony CLIe. On those I preferred a sans-serif font for better readability. On E Ink screens I find serif fonts rather pleasant to look at, so most of my self-made texts are now in serif.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote