Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Folders?

I'm considering adding a Sony Reader to my collection, just for library books. Does it allow you to make folders to store your books? Something the kindle is sorely lacking. Thanks, Debra
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
You can use folders and it will find the books in them, but it will present them all in a flat structure (as if you didn't actually use any folders). Sucks - I don't know what's the problem most e-reader manufacturers have with folders.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I'm considering adding a Sony Reader to my collection, just for library books. Does it allow you to make folders to store your books? Something the kindle is sorely lacking. Thanks, Debra
You won't be able to keep the library ebooks. They expire after so long. But yes, you can make a folder (collection).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was considering whether to use the kindle or the sony as my primary device. If there was real folder capability, I would probably use the sony. I currently have 20 pages of books, and I have only had my kindle for 2 months. I can see this getting pretty awful pretty quick.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I don't get it. You don't think $100 a year NYPL card is worth it. BUt, you will spend $300 to get a Sony reader?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't get it. You don't think $100 a year NYPL card is worth it. BUt, you will spend $300 to get a Sony reader?

BOb
??

No mention ahead of your post of:
- $100
- NYPL
- being dissatisfied paying $100.

Was the post you were replying to edited after you posted? If so, the quoted part in your message also got altered to match the edit, which is bad design--it should have stayed original.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
??

No mention ahead of your post of:
- $100
- NYPL
- being dissatisfied paying $100.

Was the post you were replying to edited after you posted? If so, the quoted part in your message also got altered to match the edit, which is bad design--it should have stayed original.
I believe Bob was referring to a post she made on another thread.......Clevnet. You gotta pay attention!! (it can get confusing, to say the least..............)
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Sorry for all the confusion. I tried numerous times yesterday to get on the NYPL site, and could not. If they have lots of mobi titles, however, I think that would be a good idea. Thanks for all the comments! Debra
Old 01-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
PGP_Protector
Enthusiast
PGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litterPGP_Protector doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
No there are no Folders, But you can Organize your books into Collections.
This is what I'm doing for now with my Series Books.
So you can have a Collection for "Author" or a Collection for "Harry Potter" or what ever.
Not a Perfect Solution, but works for now.
PGP_Protector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Sydney's Mom--

Here's the link I use for NYPL's e-book site.

If click on the e-search tab, under expanded search change the Format to "eNYPL MobiPocket Book" and leave all the other boxes as they are, you should a list of 4963 (!!) mobipocket books.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I found 1063 romance books. That should hold me for quite some time. I think I will go ahead and join NYPL! Debra
Old 01-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I certainly wouldn't spend $100/year for a library card, and am very happy with my $300 Reader, which I expect to be useful for a good deal more than three years. Also, I expect it to weigh less than half a pound, no matter how much activity I'm doing with it. And I don't expect to have to make annoying trips at odd times if I've mis-scheduled my week, in order to keep from paying extra fees for the books I want to read.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I certainly wouldn't spend $100/year for a library card, and am very happy with my $300 Reader, which I expect to be useful for a good deal more than three years. Also, I expect it to weigh less than half a pound, no matter how much activity I'm doing with it. And I don't expect to have to make annoying trips at odd times if I've mis-scheduled my week, in order to keep from paying extra fees for the books I want to read.
Ok... I think maybe you are not aware that we are talking about the NY Public Library's eBook system. There are no annoying trips and no extra fees. These are ebooks that you "check out" and they are automatically returned. Many feel that for $100 a year they are able to check out 10-20 books per month it would be quite worth it. If you figure it out, $100 would by you about 10 books. But, for the $100 library fee you could check out say 10 a month which would cost you $1200 to buy assuming the same $10 per book.

You still need your $300 reader BTW. And the person I was replying to already has a $360 Kindle.

Also, this person said they wanted to buy the Sony reader because their library didn't have a very large selection of books.

Of course, you are welcome to your opinions and can do what you want with your money. But it certainly sounded like you were comparing getting pbooks at a library compared to ebooks as we were discussing.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Yes, my goal is never to read another paper book!