Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #16
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ555 View Post
3) older ipads get wonky with their memory and big chunks are irreclaimable (I have 5+GBs of 'Other' in ipad memory now - that's a big portion of 16GB).
I'm not a fan of iAnything, but I've got to believe that memory can be reclaimed ... somehow. But, then again, my wife's iPhone has no way of blocking unknown and/or private numbers so, I guess, if Apple can't handle that (something that should be trivial) they might have trouble with reclaiming memory also. Weird.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:22 PM   #17
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Moon Reader works great on tablets. I hadn't seen the only for smartphone claim.
It's been 3 years or so when I first downloaded it to my tablet, they might have changed their wording by now.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not a fan of iAnything, but I've got to believe that memory can be reclaimed ... somehow. But, then again, my wife's iPhone has no way of blocking unknown and/or private numbers so, I guess, if Apple can't handle that (something that should be trivial) they might have trouble with reclaiming memory also. Weird.
You can "reclaim" storage that is available to the end user, but almost 5gb on a 16gb Mini 2 is set aside for the os. So the numbers TJ mentioned aren't far off of that to begin with.

I use Verizon to block phone numbers from calling my 7+ but don't how you'd block unknown or private/unlisted numbers. I get calls from 1 number that comes up "private" because my mom has her land line unlisted.

I don't answer calls from numbers not in my contacts, and add them to a SPAM contact.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
You can "reclaim" storage that is available to the end user, but almost 5gb on a 16gb Mini 2 is set aside for the os. So the numbers TJ mentioned aren't far off of that to begin with.
Okay. I guess I didn't read the original post closely enough.

Quote:
I use Verizon to block phone numbers from calling my 7+ but don't how you'd block unknown or private/unlisted numbers. I get calls from 1 number that comes up "private" because my mom has her land line unlisted.

I don't answer calls from numbers not in my contacts, and add them to a SPAM contact.
My wife gets calls from unlisted/unknown and spoof callers all the time. She used to be able to block all these with one "blacklist" setting when using her Samsung Note. Apple's iPhone has absolutely no way of doing that. Even my old Blackberry Q10 (with a free app) can handle this issue with one click. The only "solution" I've seen for this when using an iPhone is to set the phone to ignore calls not in your contacts. But this is her business number, so she can't do that. Customers and potential customers don't want to get your voice mail and, since she's on call as a doula, she has to get her calls when they come in.

I don't understand why everyone else can handle this issue and Apple refuses to fix it (and, apparently, has refused to fix it for years).

(Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.)
Old 01-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do know it is getting more difficult to stop the spoof calls. It used to be most were from 800 or 888 numbers, now they use the same 3 number exchange that your area uses. I don't get nearly as many as my husband. He made the mistake of answering one because he thought it was someone from work, and the calls tripled over the next few days.

I ignore numbers I don't recognize, and if they don't leave a message, I add the number to my SPAM contact.
Advert
Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I do know it is getting more difficult to stop the spoof calls. It used to be most were from 800 or 888 numbers, now they use the same 3 number exchange that your area uses. I don't get nearly as many as my husband. He made the mistake of answering one because he thought it was someone from work, and the calls tripled over the next few days.

I ignore numbers I don't recognize, and if they don't leave a message, I add the number to my SPAM contact.
My wife ignores them (doesn't answer them, they're hard to ignore) also but, since she's a business, she seems to be on a LOT of these lists and (at times) she can get five or six of these calls an hour. As far as I can tell every other smartphone has the capability to block these calls, except iPhones. What I don't know is why Apple refuses to fix this. I sincerely doubt that she would have gotten an iPhone had she known this in advance.

Meant to add, I'm not talking about 800 (toll free numbers) but "private," "unknown" and "spoof" numbers (numbers that can't be real phone numbers). I think blocking any real number (like all 800, 888, etc., is not a problem).

Last edited by rcentros; 01-03-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #22
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Okay. I guess I didn't read the original post closely enough.

My wife gets calls from unlisted/unknown and spoof callers all the time. She used to be able to block all these with one "blacklist" setting when using her Samsung Note. Apple's iPhone has absolutely no way of doing that. Even my old Blackberry Q10 (with a free app) can handle this issue with one click. The only "solution" I've seen for this when using an iPhone is to set the phone to ignore calls not in your contacts. But this is her business number, so she can't do that. Customers and potential customers don't want to get your voice mail and, since she's on call as a doula, she has to get her calls when they come in.

I don't understand why everyone else can handle this issue and Apple refuses to fix it (and, apparently, has refused to fix it for years).

(Okay, I'll get off my soap box now.)
I got a spoof call from someone that had spoofed the actual company's phone number.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #23
Deskisamess
Wizard

When I say "spoof calls" I'm talking about numbers that can actually be a real number. Most of the ones we get now use a 417 exchange, which is what Verizon uses in my area. In some cases, they are actual phone numbers, not of the scam caller, but of someone with a Verizon phone.

That is what makes them impossible and or not wise to block. The scammers use a number that starts with the same 6 numbers as the number they are calling. So it looks like a local call.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #24
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I got a spoof call from someone that had spoofed the actual company's phone number.
In that case there is absolutely nothing that can be done. I understand that. But there's also a variety spoof numbers that are not real phones numbers, like 0000000, etc.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
When I say "spoof calls" I'm talking about numbers that can actually be a real number. Most of the ones we get now use a 417 exchange, which is what Verizon uses in my area. In some cases, they are actual phone numbers, not of the scam caller, but of someone with a Verizon phone.

That is what makes them impossible and or not wise to block. The scammers use a number that starts with the same 6 numbers as the number they are calling. So it looks like a local call.
Okay. I see what you mean now. I know there's nothing that can be done about these. A couple weeks ago my wife and I both got calls from 816 (our area code is 817) with our own numbers for the last seven digits. This kind of spoofing has to be dealt with by phone companies (they can trace origination, or at least try to do so, depending on how sophisticated the spoofing is), but phones denying calls from unknown numbers, private numbers and spoof numbers like 000000 is just a matter of blocking calls that don't have standard telephone numbers. That's why I can't understand why Apple won't do it.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #26
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Uploading a large collection into the android CC to be stored on a SD card is much faster if you follow these directions http://cc_faq.multipie.co.uk/index.p...=95&artlang=en before uploading any books. Also uncheck 'Scan on Connect' in the wireless connection menu if you start having trouble with the wireless connection.

On my android tablet I have all my books in CC and stored on a SD card, they can all be automatically opened in my preferred app for that format without the need to move or copy the book file and I can use CC to browse/search though my entire library. On my iOS device I need to either copy books from CC to my preferred app to read them and/or directly store them in my preferred app for reading that book format losing the ablility to browse/search through the entire library at once. Given how often I search/browse through my books (referencing quotes or facts) and the fact that I can't freely access our desktop at all times having a centrally organized library is important to me.

BTW the directions given above to free up memory on iOS devices really does work to remove junk that can't be removed otherwise.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Okay. I see what you mean now. I know there's nothing that can be done about these. A couple weeks ago my wife and I both got calls from 816 (our area code is 817) with our own numbers for the last seven digits. This kind of spoofing has to be dealt with by phone companies (they can trace origination, or at least try to do so, depending on how sophisticated the spoofing is), but phones denying calls from unknown numbers, private numbers and spoof numbers like 000000 is just a matter of blocking calls that don't have standard telephone numbers. That's why I can't understand why Apple won't do it.
816 is St Joseph KS.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I have a Lenovo A10 70 and my wife has the equivalent 8" tablet. These aren't the high end Yoga tablets but solid "generic" android devices. We like them very much. Both tablets have an SD slot (not micro). I used to store many books on the tablet itself, but have since moved them to Microsoft OneDrive.

I use both the Kindle app and the epub Moon Reader Pro. Moon Reader claims it's only for smartphones, but it works just fine on my Lenovo.
I'll second the Lenovo Tab2 A10-70. It's a great tablet at a fair price. Though Lenovo replaced it with newer ones that are cheaper: the Tab3 Plus and the Tab4 Plus. All three have almost exactly the same specs. Not sure why the Tab2 sells for more than the Tab3 or 4.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
There are lightning / USB sticks for Apple products that can used for backup. Stick the lightning end in the i-device, copy files to it, stick the USB end into a PC, read or copy files off.

I've never been an apple fan. But one thing is making me more interested now. I've been disgusted with the lack of security updates that most Android devices get. Apple is far better at timely and continuing updates. I still use Android for entertainment and reading. But I got an iPhone SE to use just as a phone and run my banking app.
I hear about the Android security issues a lot, but have never had any issues on any of my Android devices.

I also never had my photos hacked...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #30
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Tab S2 (and S3) will be most like the iPad mini in display quality and overall performance. The Tab S2 is an excellent device.

I still have my 8 inch Tab S2, but I hardly ever use it anymore, except when I want to use something available only on Android - or when I get the tinkering urge. My iPad Pro and my e-reader have taken up all the slack now.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote