Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Newbie thinking about purchasing Sony Reader but...

I am in Canada. Toronto area to be exact and while the SonyStyle Canada site now has them for purchase, I can't seem to find a unit in a SonyStyle store that I can see and play with. I have never seen an E-Ink device in real life so I am not sure whether I will get on with it. Does anyone local know of anywhere in the GTA I can see one of these? I would have thought the SonyStyle Stores would have them on display but I popped into the Square One location and I didn't see any sign of them at all.

I am a pretty avid reader, I was off books and onto AudioBooks while I was commuting to work over the past few years, which was great but I have now gotten pretty heavily back into actually "reading" again now that I am commuting about an hour by bus rather than car. So my main use for the device will be on the bus but I do read at home, and at the cottage etc. I am currently reading "Cryptonomicon" which is an 1100+ page behemoth and this is what has got me looking at e-readers again. LOL. Ability to carry a huge amount of data on a small device.

After researching it seems the Sony is my best bet currently. Kindle isn't really supported here and the others (Cybook, iliad etc.) seem too expensive. And with the awesome Calibre software(I have already installed it and played with it, converted a few ebooks I have etc) makes it even more enticing. If anyone uses Arch Linux, I made two PKGBUILDS for Calibre, one for the bzr version and one for the standard version.

Thanks,

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
You could place a post in the official "see a device in a café near you" hookup thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26574

Or PM Barcey or Toshanda to see if they live near you.
Toshanda
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ada#post238224

Barcey
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ada#post220285
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I was on holiday in Toronto a few months ago and I saw a display model of the 505 in a mall in Pickering if that helps. I can't remember which mall it was but I do know it has a rather large pet shop with the most beautiful parrots

I'm reading Crytonomicon too (On my Sony).
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I ended up finding one at the Sherway Gardens SonyStyle store. Pretty sweet!! Likely to be a new owner very soon.
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post
I ended up finding one at the Sherway Gardens SonyStyle store. Pretty sweet!! Likely to be a new owner very soon.
Wonderful. I hope you enjoy having it. The eInk screen is what sold me on an electronic reader. Of course, having an electronic reader is *not* helping reduce the size of the To-Be-Read stack of paper books in this house!

As of today, every Target store in the US is supposed to have the Sony Reader on a special end-cap in the electronics section. I already have the Reader, but I heard that they were also going to carry accessories such as the cover with the built-in lightwedge. I plan to go down and take a look and see if there's anything I want.

I hope you enjoy MobileRead. There are many books formatted for the Sony Reader in the upload section of the forum. Check it out -- you can read them with Calibre until you purchase a Reader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hey ould, great news! Be sure and let us know when you get your hands on it and how you like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote