Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Not worth it. Will just pick up a new one when this one dies completely (or becomes too annoying) for $5 and it will last another 15 years.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #47
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I still have my Hewlett Packard HP11C, purchased in 1985. Works a treat.

Not sure if my older Sony PRS-300 will last that long!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #48
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeplechase View Post
As a frugal shopper, until eReaders are at least as long lived as a calculator, a portable phone, a remote control, a transistor radio, televisions or even a standard laptop computer I can't see how I would ever purchase another one.

So, when (if ever) do you see them becoming as long lived as other commonly used electronic devices?
I got my first kindle as a present. I broke it after a half of year by accident.
Amazon replaced it, practically no question asked.
I will always buy a kindle withouth any thinking when it will be sturdy as a calculator. Why?

Because basic kindle4 is 70 $. That is average 7 books. I can read thousands and thousands of free books I would have to otherwise loan from library or read on a stupid PC screen which makes my eyes hurt. This makes the device pays for itself.

Second point. Amazon will replace the kindle without any hassle if it breaks in the one year guarantee period. They are really great company for this and they know that building the base of people with their device is building a base of buyers for their books. And this is where the real money is.

So for me your question is no question at all. I read a lot of books and for a year of reading 70 $ is not that much. I give 200 $ on my contacts for a year and I use up them as well.

All modern electronics is made to break in a reasonable period. How else would this consumer society work?

Peace out.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #49
ragnevi
ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ragnevi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pocketbook 622, iPad 3 and Galaxy Note 2
My Casio calculator from secondary upper school got several dead pixels on the screen just after 4 years and I promise, it was not used much in school…
Just bad luck.

But compare to cellphones, how long do you have them? I am glad if they last for two years and there are a lot of people who bought the first ipad and later bought a new one when it had better screen and where faster.
ragnevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #50
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
There is a great difference between a calculator and an ereader.
The difference is great in complexity, versatility, number of features, hardware and especially software elements, and basic intended usage.

I do not think I exaggerate too much when I say this can be thought of as the difference between a bicycle and a (modern) car.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #51
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
My PRS-505 still works, the battery doesn't hold a charge as long as it once did, but it will still last several days on a charge.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #52
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnevi View Post
My Casio calculator from secondary upper school got several dead pixels on the screen just after 4 years and I promise, it was not used much in school…
Just bad luck.

But compare to cellphones, how long do you have them? I am glad if they last for two years and there are a lot of people who bought the first ipad and later bought a new one when it had better screen and where faster.
I had my previous cell phone - a Nokia 5185i - approximately 8 years. It finally quit working in 2012 and I replaced it. Expect to keep my current Samsung Gusto 2 phone as long as it works. I don't use the phone much. I also have an TV that's nearly 20 years old, on a converter box....

I've had my Sony reader for approximately a year. I expect to keep using it until it dies. Hope that's a long time!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:19 AM   #53
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
One issue with these comparisons is that the broken old devices are thrown away long ago and forgotten...

Some of it might have something to do with increased complexity and miniaturisation. New chips are far more dense than the old ones, which can shorten their lives. On other hand this also means more power and cheaper prices. I still don't say that old calculators weren't designed well and with reliability in mind...
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #54
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would love it if my ereader was powered by a tiny solar cell.

I wonder how long it would take one of those to save up enough juice to turn a page.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #55
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
My family has bought all types of calculators, mostly for math classes. Some have bit the dust after a year, some are still going after 10 years. These weren't the cheap variety, either, but graphing and scientific calculators with the large screen.

My take? The larger the screen the quicker the machine dies. Sometimes the screen bit the dust, but others it was the processor or whatever that powered the screen. And that is from observing all the calculators at schools that were required, too. My hubby teaches math and knows that every year a certain percentage of the calculators the school supplies will have to be replaced because they quit working (usually after the warranty runs out).

So, I don't know if screen size is the factor, or the processing that goes on that requires the large screen.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #56
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
So, I don't know if screen size is the factor, or the processing that goes on that requires the large screen.
I would also guess that those with larger screens are more powerfull and have more advanced hardware. Which leads to shorter lifecycle as more things can go wrong and possibly less reliable hardware is used to offset the manufacturing.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #57
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I had my previous cell phone - a Nokia 5185i - approximately 8 years. It finally quit working in 2012 and I replaced it. Expect to keep my current Samsung Gusto 2 phone as long as it works. I don't use the phone much. I also have an TV that's nearly 20 years old, on a converter box....

I've had my Sony reader for approximately a year. I expect to keep using it until it dies. Hope that's a long time!
Boy, if I had used such an old phone and made calls only for every e-mail, skype call or instant message I sent and received during my travels over the years I would probably be in the hole for few 100,000 bucks by now! Not to mention the pictures, movies, and documents I couldn't have sent or received and the fact that people don't always have time for you when you call but they always respond to e-mail when they get around to it.

Besides, why even go to work if you never enjoy buying anything new and better?

And as for the subject of this thread --- the people have spoken, they want cheap, not durable reading devices.

Last edited by HansTWN; 02-15-2013 at 09:35 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:13 AM   #58
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
eh I have two calculators from the 80's that still work pretty well. I also have the Franklin Bible/Bookman lcd reader that still works after over a decade of regular use. Never bought its cartridge books. I got the wordgame cartridge and haul it out whenever I get stuck somewhere. I am still using a cellphone from the early 2000's as well. It may be that ereader components can't last as well as these, but there is no way to tell if anyone is seriously trying to make them work reliably for the long-term. Still, as the prices go down, the irritation on this point tends to reduce right along with it.

I seriously wonder how long the early LCD readers (with replaceable batteries) can last. A number of LCD portable electronics have been lasting very nicely.

Last edited by Shushan; 02-16-2013 at 02:21 AM.
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #59
Shushan
Bibliophile
Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shushan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Pandigital Novel, PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
I would also guess that those with larger screens are more powerfull and have more advanced hardware. Which leads to shorter lifecycle as more things can go wrong and possibly less reliable hardware is used to offset the manufacturing.
That could be! Also the 2-tone style tends to survive better than those with finer resolution. The Franklin's screen is really tiny, and has type like an 80's monitor. Fairly simple. Relatively sturdy
Shushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #60
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
The little devil on my left shoulder keeps whispering to me to oh so accidently drop my kindle touch. I so want a paper white but can not justify $170 when I have an as new touch.
I can feel winter coming and long to snuggle in bed without an annoying clip on light.
shhhhhh little devil

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken