Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #331
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
My email says "put it in original packaging if available" but doesn't say anything about content other than to make sure you have a backup.
I will be removing the ebooks either way.

Here's what it said in mine:

Quote:
When you return your Kindle, please keep your USB cable or power adapter, manual, and any accessories or other items that originally shipped with your Kindle. Remember to back up your personal content to your computer.

If possible, please turn off wireless on your Kindle, insert the Kindle into a plastic bag, put it in original packaging if available, and send it back to us within 30 days from the date of this e-mail. If we don't receive the device by then, you'll be charged for the replacement Kindle.

Here's your replacement order information:
...so I am keeping the cables.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #332
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Interesting. Can you please tell us that the LED's can change from hues to white? Please?

The light cones themselves are always white, or do they just look white, and maybe once conducted through the grid, the hue that is not noticeable otherwise could be intensified. But then why is it getting worse over time?
DO LED lights change in hue over time?
I have never seen one turn white, they get dimmer over time or when they get too warm. Mind you, the LEDs used for the Kindle will probably be totally different from the ones used in LEDs lamps that replace old fashioned lightbulbs, though I am curious how they stay cool not to cause dimming quickly.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 11:12 AM   #333
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Your screen looks green to me. That is a huge difference from my unit which has a very white screen.

I've posted a picture of my unit elsewhere in this forum. It certainly is very white.

I'd return it if reading on a green sheet of paper would bother you. It certainly would bother me.

There are too many defective units coming out. Maybe one of the factories had some problems. I'm sure in a few months there will be a lot fewer defective screens being produced.

Maybe just get a refund and wait until December. By then you probably will get a good unit.

Its possible that Amazon may be shipping the returned units back out again to fill replacement requests now hoping most customers will accept them without complaints.
I've taken the liberty to image edit Trauma Doll's picture of her PW. The coloring could just be an artifact with the camera used. But this should show the issue(s) more clearly then before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PWvK3-2.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	93910  
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #334
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You have 30 days to return it, so it is really safe to give it a trial run. Many people seem to be perfectly content with their PW even though some of us are rotten luck.
I know. You guys are just depressing me is all. Maybe the second batch ie next Friday won't have some of these problems but I think it's going to take more time that that.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #335
zwarbles
Connoisseur
zwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura aboutzwarbles has a spectacular aura about

Device: iPad, Nook, NC, NST, Kobo, Nook Glo, K4, KPW Touch
Just got my 2nd replacement and it's not good either. Out of the 3 I've gotten, the first one is the best, yet the 2nd one was brighter, and the 3rd one is dull with splotches..

I'm giving up for now, 3 strikes and I'm out.

Last edited by zwarbles; 10-11-2012 at 11:49 AM.
zwarbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #336
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have to say I am pretty happy with my replacement. I read on it for a couple of hours last night and it's much better than my first one. That said, I do see a slight pink hue to the entire thing. It's very slight, and I mainly see it when I compare it next to my original PW which has a very noticeable blue hue. Still, I think I'm happy enough with it to keep it.

I guess my only concern is color blobs might suddenly start appearing like they did on my first PW. Also potentially frustrating is if some months from now they fix it and they're perfect. It does make me wonder if I should just return them both now and wait until then, but I really do like it. Still it'll be hard reading in a few months from now that they fixed the issues knowing my month return limit is up.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #337
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I guess my only concern is color blobs might suddenly start appearing like they did on my first PW. Also potentially frustrating is if some months from now they fix it and they're perfect.
If the blobs appear months from now, you can call Amazon back then and ask for a replacement. Hopefully by then, they would have fixed whatever the problem is.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #338
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
If the blobs appear months from now, you can call Amazon back then and ask for a replacement. Hopefully by then, they would have fixed whatever the problem is.
Yes, this is true, although then the unit will be refurbished and not a new one. That's the only catch.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #339
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Trauma Doll, I have to send some of mine back too. I will remove all content from it and degister the device, put it in a plastic bag, and...? Send the black boxes along or not?
Also, I did not realize that we are supposed to keep the cables (kind of neat, I love how long the Kindle cables are).
De-register the device, then perform a factory reset.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM   #340
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
What I'm 'seeing' is, roughly, a triangle of pale magenta in the upper left corner, below that a diagonal band of pale green, and pale magenta in lower right.
That essentially describes the exact pattern I have seen on both of mine.

An update: I received a replacement yesterday. It still had colored blotchiness (same pattern), but it was less severe that on my first unit. It's also worth noting that a brightness of 14/24 on the replacement was equivalent to a 16/24 on my original. I was trying to decide which one to send back, when I noticed the bright spots, almost like dead pixels on a monitor. Once I saw those, I couldn't un-see them. So that one went back. Contacted support via chat, have a third one coming Friday.

As much as I hate talking to support reps on the phone, they're getting a call if this 2nd replacement is no better than the others I love the Paperwhite in principle, I just want an evenly colored screen I can read on at night without discomfort. I wish they could somehow inspect the units they're sending those of us who've been through multiple units.

Honestly, I'll probably keep trying to get replacements to get a good one until it becomes too much of a hassle (i.e., they're not willing). There are no good alternatives for me.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #341
okh
okh has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPad 2
Unexpectedly, Kindle Paperwhite is available in Europe too: what do you suggest? Wait or buy? I don't think European units will be different from the ones Amazon is selling in the US.
okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #342
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
De-register the device, then perform a factory reset.
If you perform a factory reset with WiFi on it usually deregisters itself.

That's all I do when I return a Kindle is do a factory reset. It removes all content and info and removes it from your account. I do back up my docs folder first to my PC for the next kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #343
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Yes, this is true, although then the unit will be refurbished and not a new one. That's the only catch.
Probably not due to them having to fix the issue. It would probably be new. What I see is Amazon is going to be out alot of money once they do fix this issue because no one is going to want to keep theirs when the fixed version comes out and does not have hues problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #344
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
That's what happened to my number 2. The colors came out of nowhere, and seem to be getting worse.
Are you getting a replacement for this one?
Most likely I will.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #345
ultimatejimmy
Enthusiast
ultimatejimmy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle Paperwhite (coming soon)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Probably not due to them having to fix the issue. It would probably be new. What I see is Amazon is going to be out alot of money once they do fix this issue because no one is going to want to keep theirs when the fixed version comes out and does not have hues problem.
I think they'd be out of more money if the Amazon image is tarnished and they lose many happy kindle customers. It is in their best interest to do everything they can to make it right for those customers who aren't satisfied.
ultimatejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote