Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #301
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I said wasn't going to try another replacement, but after looking at the lack of good alternative devices I decided there really are none that I don't already own that would be better than a working PW. So reluctantly I'm going to try out one more replacement.
I'm in the same boat as you, Jack. I don't like any of the replacement ideas which is why I tried another one.

I received my replacement tonight and I say this tentatively, but it's definitely better! I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that. It's funny how when you get a replacement and can do a side by side comparison it really brings all the issues to light.

For starters, the new one is whiter and brighter and the contrast looks better to me. I thought my original was fine in the brightness department, but this one is definitely whiter and brighter on higher light settings. Also, my original has a blue cast, something I didn't notice at all until I put it up to the new one side by side. Bit strange but it really made it apparent.

No glowing specks on the new one either, yay for that.

I won't say the screen is perfect, but so far it looks pretty good and is a keeper assuming it doesn't suddenly get pink and blue blobs on it. I admit I keep checking it and expect them to appear any moment now.

I thought maybe I saw a slight pink hue in one area, but I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me at this point. My eyes are slightly buggy from staring and comparing. Let's just say if it stays like this, I'll be happy with it.

It did freeze on start up though which freaked me out, but I did a hard reset and it's been fine. On another note my box doesn't have an R for replacement on it. Hmm.

Anyway, good luck to those still expecting replacements. Hopefully everyone will eventually get a good one.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-10-2012 at 06:28 PM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #302
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Quick follow-up: my return label is for Cupertino. Pretty sure I saw that somewhere else? Maybe here?
Yep, head up to post 290.

It looks like they are hand picking the units to be sent to Cupertino.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #303
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, Jack. I don't like any of the replacement ideas which is why I tried another one.

I received my replacement tonight and I say this tentatively, but it's definitely better! I hope I'm not jinxing myself saying that. It's funny how when you get a replacement and can do a side by side comparison it really brings all the issues to light.

For starters, the new one is whiter and brighter and the contrast looks better to me. I thought my original was fine in the brightness department, but this one is definitely whiter and brighter on higher light settings. Also, my original has a blue cast, something I didn't notice at all until I put it up to the new one side by side. Bit strange but it really made it apparent.

No glowing specks on the new one either, yay for that.

I won't say the screen is perfect, but so far it looks pretty good and is a keeper assuming it doesn't suddenly get pink and blue blobs on it. I admit I keep checking it and expect them to appear any moment now.

I thought maybe I saw a slight pink hue in one area, but I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me at this point. My eyes are slightly buggy from staring and comparing. Let's just say if it stays like this, I'll be happy with it.

It did freeze on start up though which freaked me out, but I did a hard reset and it's been fine. On another note my box doesn't have an R for replacement on it. Hmm.

Anyway, good luck to those still expecting replacements. Hopefully everyone will eventually get a good one.
Great! I think without the blue hue you probably won't have those awful blue green shadows. I hope it remains good.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #304
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Great! I think without the blue hue you probably won't have those awful blue green shadows. I hope it remains good.
Thanks Jack. Here's hoping it does. I'll let everyone know if the blobs start appearing. I've been playing with it some more and it definitely looks quite a bit better. Fingers crossed your next replacement is a good one!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #305
wynand32
Enthusiast
wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wynand32 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Okay, well, toss me into the mix of folks getting a replacement. I thought mine was fine (maybe just a TINY bit of pink blotchiness at the top), but then I let the battery run all the way down and fully charged it today (I like to do that with all my lithium ion batteries at least once). Lo and behold, I now have more pronounced pink blotchiness at the top and some new blueish blotchiness in the center. And, where I could only notice the tiny bit of blotchiness in the dark, now I can notice it in decent lighting.

So, I have a replacement coming on Saturday. Getting the replacement ordered was painless via chat, literally no questions asked. I said I have blotchiness, the rep said they'll send a replacement. My fingers will be crossed.
wynand32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #306
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Wow, you guys make it sounds as if there could be hope that they are really doing something about this!! It is ridiculous how much I want to believe that Amazon is still trustworthy.
Has anyone seen one with an even background yet? I received two today, and am comparing them back and forth wondering which one is the lesser evil. Maybe I should try one more time to replace them?

I tried to take a pic of the colorations, but no matter what I do, my camera auto-adjusts. The attached pics are just to show the difference in brightness and font contrast and stroke boldness. They are at the same light settings and same font. It literally gets bolder in the order that I received them, with the last one on the right having the boldest font. The first and second one are also brighter and, maybe because of it, the font shows less contrast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2620.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	93871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2621.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	93872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2622.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	93873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	93874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2601.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	93875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	93876  

Last edited by xendula; 10-10-2012 at 08:48 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #307
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Wow, you guys make it sounds as if there could be hope that they are really doing something about this!! It is ridiculous how much I want to believe that Amazon is still trustworthy.

If people are getting callbacks and and printing a special return labels then yes Amazon is really working on it. I totally believe if the right people found out about the issues, it would be worked on. Amazon is never one to ignore such an issue. Remember the covers that rebooted the K3s? I have total faith it will be fixed but when is the question no one knows. It could take months.

If I remember right it was a Kindle user who discovered the cover was the cause of the reboots.

And then the K3 rebooting issues because of too large an Archive. That was finally fixed just this last firmware update. So they do listen. It just takes time and getting the problems to the right tech people.

I think people who want to be part in this. Need to leave a review at Amazon in order to get a call back. It seems the right people are keeping an eye out over there. I think those who posted pics are being picked.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-10-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #308
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Has anyone seen one with an even background yet? I received two today, and am comparing them back and forth wondering which one is the lesser evil. Maybe I should try one more time to replace them?

I tried to take a pic of the colorations, but no matter what I do, my camera auto-adjusts. The attached pics are just to show the difference in brightness and font contrast and stroke boldness. They are at the same light settings and same font. It literally gets bolder in the order that I received them, with the last one on the right having the boldest font. The first and second one are also brighter and, maybe because of it, the font shows less contrast.
It's hard to judge, given the difference in displays and perception. What matters is what your eyes see. And while I join you in disappointment and frustration, I think it is unfair to question Amazon's trustworthiness. It has only been one week since the PW's release -- barely enough time for an official response, much less a resolution. Amazon is known for their outstanding customer service and they always have, in my experience, taken care of customers' concerns. I expect that will be the case this time as well.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #309
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Hubby's replacement came in (wifi) and its the best of all we've received (2 wifi, 2 3G). The blotches are still in the bottom but the screen is very clean and white otherwise. The blotches are not very noticeable. It's not perfect, but this will probably be a keeper.

Hopefully mine will be like that when I get my 3rd 3G tomorrow.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #310
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
It's hard to judge, given the difference in displays and perception. What matters is what your eyes see. And while I join you in disappointment and frustration, I think it is unfair to question Amazon's trustworthiness. It has only been one week since the PW's release -- barely enough time for an official response, much less a resolution. Amazon is known for their outstanding customer service and they always have, in my experience, taken care of customers' concerns. I expect that will be the case this time as well.
Skydog, I question their trustworthiness because of the 10 CS reps I had to talk to in order to get my replacements. They promised things that never happened, pretended that specific models were not available while others on this forum were getting them overnighted at the exact time and were never told those models were not available, I had to call back again and again for TWO replacements. This should require exactly one phone call and talking to one maybe two people, not 10. On Monday, I spent 2 hours on the phone with them, on Tuesday at least another hour. I used to think they had the greatest CS as well. Until now.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #311
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Hubby's replacement came in (wifi) and its the best of all we've received (2 wifi, 2 3G). The blotches are still in the bottom but the screen is very clean and white otherwise. The blotches are not very noticeable. It's not perfect, but this will probably be a keeper.

Hopefully mine will be like that when I get my 3rd 3G tomorrow.
Techiegirl, can you post a picture? Is the font even as well?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #312
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Techiegirl, can you post a picture? Is the font even as well?
Here you go. The 1st picture is at 24 and the 2nd picture is at 12.

Sorry, my phone isn't taking very good pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	93878   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	93879  
Old 10-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #313
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Skydog, I question their trustworthiness because of the 10 CS reps I had to talk to in order to get my replacements. They promised things that never happened, pretended that specific models were not available while others on this forum were getting them overnighted at the exact time and were never told those models were not available, I had to call back again and again for TWO replacements. This should require exactly one phone call and talking to one maybe two people, not 10. On Monday, I spent 2 hours on the phone with them, on Tuesday at least another hour. I used to think they had the greatest CS as well. Until now.
I am sorry you are having so much trouble, xendula -- that should not happen. My guess is that Kindle CS has been inundated this week and they are less than organized. I have contacted Amazon twice now for replacements and each time I was transfered to a "specialist," once in the U.S. and once I suspect was the Philippines. Neither call involved more than 10 minutes. I hope your experience greatly improves and you/we will eventually receive PWs we can enjoy.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #314
Trauma Doll
Addict
Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trauma Doll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Gave up on PW. Using Kindle Keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
Here you go. The 1st picture is at 24 and the 2nd picture is at 12.

Sorry, my phone isn't taking very good pictures.
Very nice. If I got one like that (unless there's color variation not making into the photo) I would be very happy.
Trauma Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #315
techiegirl
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Very nice. If I got one like that (unless there's color variation not making into the photo) I would be very happy.
There is no color variation and it actually looks better in person than the picture (other than the shadows).