Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
peterbos
peterbos began at the beginning.

Device: eXceL
Question Browser disappeared or is stuck?

Hi,

I just unboxed my new eXceL (=M92 v1.70). I managed to connect it to my wifi and I also managed to download one ebook from the internet. Since then, I have been unable to open the browser, even after resetting the device.

If I click on the homescreen on the 'Webbrowser' icon, I am presented with a screen as per the following description:

- Top left corner: Recent Reader + the name of the ebook I just downloaded
- Top right corner: Analogue clock
- Center area: One arrow icon (Up)
- Bottom bar: menu icon, page scroll bar 1/1, battery status

If I press the 'Up' icon or the physical 'back' button, I return to the home screen.
If I press the 'home' button I am presented with a menu with only 1 option on the 'Websites' Tab: "Add"

If I try to 'add' a website, I enter Name: 'Google' and Url: 'http://www.google.com' and press OK, then I am returned to the screen I first described, with the single 'Up' icon. I was expecting to either go to google or to see a new 'Google' icon next to the 'Add' icon in the menu. This is not happening.

I don't know what to do to get the browser back. Can you help me?

Best regards,

Peter
peterbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
I am not sure I understand what you want to do. What is your desired task.

Is it that you want to run Google (or any other www address) or you want to create a shorcut to Google (or any other www address)?
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
peterbos

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Simpler put:

I would like to start the web browser program, but the 'shortcut' to it seems to have been disabled, i.e. if I click the 'web browser' icon in the main screen, the web browser does not start. Instead, I am presented something that looks like 'an empty directory', i.e. with only an 'up arrow' icon.

I would like to stress that this happened *before* I started tinkering with the reader. I do not know *how* it happened.

In the mean time, I have been able to
1) connect via usb-serial from my laptop and get terminal access to the M92
2) get root access via the same
3) manually start 'web_browser' from the terminal, and then the web browser actually appears on the screen on the M92

So I conclude now that the web browser is not broken, but that the shortcut is malfunctioning. I have yet to figure out how the system_manager normally starts the web_browser; any ideas?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbos View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. Simpler put:

I would like to start the web browser program, but the 'shortcut' to it seems to have been disabled, i.e. if I click the 'web browser' icon in the main screen, the web browser does not start. Instead, I am presented something that looks like 'an empty directory', i.e. with only an 'up arrow' icon.

I would like to stress that this happened *before* I started tinkering with the reader. I do not know *how* it happened.

In the mean time, I have been able to
1) connect via usb-serial from my laptop and get terminal access to the M92
2) get root access via the same
3) manually start 'web_browser' from the terminal, and then the web browser actually appears on the screen on the M92

So I conclude now that the web browser is not broken, but that the shortcut is malfunctioning. I have yet to figure out how the system_manager normally starts the web_browser; any ideas?
Hi,
Just update the firmware - it is the simplest way to fix that issue.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=164162
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
peterbos

Hi Booxtor,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't work out very well. After updating the firmware, the device no longer succesfully boots; it flashes half [only the right half of the screen] of a Boox startup-logo about a dozen times or so and then the whole screen flashes a few times in varying shades of grey, and at the end I am left with a completely white screen. The blue led is on.

I have tried inserting an sd card with older firmware (update-20120309.zip) that I read had previously resurrected another device (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=171640&page=2), but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Nothing happens after 15 minutes so I don't think it is re-flashing.

Can you think of anything else I can do other than repackaging it and sending it back to the store?
Advert
Old 05-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Booxtor,

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately that didn't work out very well. After updating the firmware, the device no longer succesfully boots; it flashes half [only the right half of the screen] of a Boox startup-logo about a dozen times or so and then the whole screen flashes a few times in varying shades of grey, and at the end I am left with a completely white screen. The blue led is on.

I have tried inserting an sd card with older firmware (update-20120309.zip) that I read had previously resurrected another device (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=171640&page=2), but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Nothing happens after 15 minutes so I don't think it is re-flashing.

Can you think of anything else I can do other than repackaging it and sending it back to the store?
I would try to flash update-20120309.zip twice.
This firmware formats the hidden system partition during installation and fixes in most cases problems like yours.
Please contact me if it does not work - we will find another solution.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
peterbos

Thanks for your support!

Yesterday, I left it on (blue led on) and the battery completely drained.

Today, I again tried to flash update-20120309.zip, and now at least I get a message on the screen "No update found, booting device...", after which there is no activity (I left it alone for 20 minutes).
(This message occurs a few minutes after boot; first the screen flashes half of the logo, then I see a few random flashes of the entire screen, and then several minutes of no screen activity).

To rule out a bad sd-card, I tried it with another card; same result. The cards read fine in two other computers.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Thanks for your support!

Yesterday, I left it on (blue led on) and the battery completely drained.

Today, I again tried to flash update-20120309.zip, and now at least I get a message on the screen "No update found, booting device...", after which there is no activity (I left it alone for 20 minutes).
(This message occurs a few minutes after boot; first the screen flashes half of the logo, then I see a few random flashes of the entire screen, and then several minutes of no screen activity).

To rule out a bad sd-card, I tried it with another card; same result. The cards read fine in two other computers.
To be honest I have no Idea now, what else to do. It is definitely something wrong with your device
I would suggest you to contact your vendor and ask for service or replacement.
In such a case we would replace a device with problems like yours, since the internal memory seems to be corrupted.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
peterbos

I tried it a few more times; always same result.

BTW When I start the device *without* pressing the joystick - so normal mode - I also get the flashing half logo, but then eventually I get the 'progress bar' at the bottom of the screen, which gets stuck showing only the first block.

I guess I'll be sending it back to the store. Thanks for your help nonetheless!