Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
crod
crod began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Talking Nook in Canada - It works

Just got my Nook today. I am in Ottawa, Canada and as expected the 3G wireless access does NOT work. But Wi-Fi works perfectly and I was able to download all my purchased ebooks through it without any issues. Of course the activation was done over Wi-Fi.
The only tricky part was to actually order it.
To get ebooks I had to register my account with an US address but with my Canadian credit card. Worked just fine.
The actual ordering was done using the US address US Unlocked gave me (they are a great option for anyone outside US willing to buy anything over there) and they shipped the Nook to me yesterday using FGX. Shipping/their fee/etc was $45 and got here next day (today)! Very impressive service.
My impressions about it so far? Great device. Note this is my first e-reader so I cannot comment how it compares to anything else. What I found so far:
1. Pages turn VERY fast for me. I did not measure but it is definitely under 0.5s.
2. The touchscreen interface, yes, it is no iPhone 3GS. But works fine and it is responsive enough IMHO. Nothing that ruins the experience.
3. On all my books it DOES remember the last page I was on.
4. I am on firmware 1.1.1 from what I can see.

In a nutshell, I would buy it again for sure. And for a 1st generation device that will for sure get better over time, it is impressive.

And after looking at one Kindle 2 one of my friends has, the Nook looks way, way better. But for some people the lack of a keyboard may be a show stopper. Not for me. Plus it does not look like something out of the 90s like the Kindle does.

Cheers guys!

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Well, even though I'm a Kindle user, congratulations on your nook and welcome to MobileRead.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
I am happy to see that you could order a nook to be delivered to Canada.
You mentioned the $45 to re-direct the nook to your canadian address.
Can you tell me your total out of pocket cost including GST, duty, and brokerage fees.
I'm trying to decide if I go the way you did, or plan a trip south of the border.
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:26 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I too have a kindle but welcome and I am glad your nook works The wifi is a huge advantage for those not in the continental us
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #5
crod

Here is the breakdown of costs:
- Device, US$ 259.00
- Shipping/US Unlocked fees: US$ 47.00
- Taxes/Duties/Brokerage fees: CAD$ 34.00

Roughly I would say a total around CAD$ 364.00, everything in, delivered to my door. Not bad at all.

CR
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 05:57 AM   #6
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
barth90 -- how far away from the border are you? afaik there're package receiving companies just south of the border for those canucks willing to shop online.

You can then import the nook yourself. From my experience, more often than not they won't bother with duties if the goods you're bringing are worth less than $300 (in theory you should pay for anything exceeding $50 I think if you were away less than 48 hours, after 48 hours this limit increases).
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Greetings, Crod, and welcome to MobileRead! I'm glad the Nook is working out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
... Plus it does not look like something out of the 90s like the Kindle does. ...
Hey, now. That wasn't nice! I like my old-fashioned retro-look Kindle just fine, thank you!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
barth90 -- how far away from the border are you?
I'm about 90 minutes from Burlington, Vermont where there's a B&N store.
We go there once in a while, so I might just stop and buy one while I'm there
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
Please write your experience inside B&N store with your Nook as they say you can 'browse' books on nook.

TIA
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
I'm about 90 minutes from Burlington, Vermont where there's a B&N store.
We go there once in a while, so I might just stop and buy one while I'm there
They're unlikely to be in stock tho. So I would look into opening an account with the mail receiving company (there're 3 just south of the BC border, I'd assume there would be more back east) and order your nook online.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful! Glad it's working and all is great!
Welcome!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
crod

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Greetings, Crod, and welcome to MobileRead! I'm glad the Nook is working out for you.

Hey, now. That wasn't nice! I like my old-fashioned retro-look Kindle just fine, thank you!
I know, I know. I am all for old fashioned stuff! I collect old tube radios and listen to my 1937 Zenith and 1936 GE all the time. They not only look brand new but work as new ones.

I do think both the Kindle and the Nook are great devices, each with its own strenghts and weaknesses and I am sure you are enjoying your Kindle as much as I enjoy my Nook!

Happy Reading and Happy New Year everyone!

CR
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
skaquix
Member Retired
skaquix began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
To get ebooks I had to register my account with an US address but with my Canadian credit card. Worked just fine.
is this necessary? couldn't you just use your own address? will this circumvent the "this item ships to us addresses only" restriction?
skaquix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
DaFlake
DaFlake began at the beginning.

Device: Nook (the Mrs's) and my Iphone
Don't be surprised if your 3G gets turned off. It will work but you are roaming at this point and once they see that they may turn you off permanently.
DaFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #15
crod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
Don't be surprised if your 3G gets turned off. It will work but you are roaming at this point and once they see that they may turn you off permanently.
Nope, that is not the case. The device simply does not work on the 3G cellphone network when outside the US. At this stage there is no such thing as 'roaming' on the Nook.

Also note that US owners may be actually traveling and using their Nooks outside the US so there is no way B&N would start turning off 3G radios on the Nooks based simply on the location the device is.

Again, when outside the US all that happens is the device simply does not work over 3G. Simple as that. No penalties, nothing to worry about that. Wi-Fi of course works as expected.

CR