Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #61
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I see allot of potential for this, i am most fond of the fact that it has color and interactivity and yet it is still eInk. Don't get me wrong, i love my original jetBook but the eInk is where it's at.

I'm sure the price will come down, like anything that's is brand spanking new to the market it will cost allot. I mean jeez i can get a dam big flat screen, flat panel TV for under $1k, i remember when they were $8K minimum!
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #62
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... they say that nobody wants to see how saugage or laws are made.
With the internet and forums like this, we hear of and see more of the
proccess to bring a product to market than we ever have.

Not everything developed enters the US/Euro market right away. Not
everything is initially intended for this market.

Hanvon worked with e-Ink to develop and bring to market the first
commercially available color e-Ink display ereading device.

Ectaco contracted with Hanvon to obtain a device that they (Ectaco)
could make into a competitive product, for a Russian school systems
contract. They had already been working in that market with one of their
other readers.

WE found out about it. So WE started demanding the device be made
available. Ectaco now is letting us order the same device that they have
in Russian and some Eastern European school systems for contract
consideration. They have not yet produced a product for the general
purpose market in the US/Euro. Hanvon appears to be selling the same
hardware to the Asian market with more general purpose firmware.

So, the "testing" by the customers is taking place in Asia and Russian schools
and Universities. That might be a pretty good and comprehensive testing
environment. Ectaco is trying to win a competition in the case of the Russian
contract, so I expect that they are fielding the best product that they can
provide and will be implementing whatever reasonable improvements or
corrections brought to them by the Russians.

Luck;
Ken
Great post, Ken.

I've been wanting a Color E Ink device for a while since I can't read off of backlit screens - even though I'm only 24 - i just despise it.

I read for 5 minutes, and i mean READ, not watch a movie or a video - and my eyes are completely shot. When I look up it's as though everything is more fuzzy than it was before.

A lot of people have been following the introduction of Color E Ink, and for those who need it, they will buy it. Not only the screen, but the content is also important to me.

I've yet to find a large color device to load my grad books and notes to, and with Ectaco's long line of freedom to content (i have almost every jetBook they've made and got my entire family them as well) I am very enticed by it.

I've already ordered mine, and for $499, it beats me carrying not only a 5 pound business law book, but also ALL the files that I've created or our professor sent us for class.

Excited to get mine and since i haven't seen anyone post the following statement in this thread:

I'M EXCITED TO BE THE FIRST TO REPLACE MY BOOKS AND NOTES WITH THE JETBOOK COLOR!

.....that felt good, lol.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #63
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
....double post deleted....
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #64
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just wished it would display most letter sized (or A4 sized)PDF files, but since it uses the same resolution as my 6" Sony PRS reader (which is 800x600 pix), and the text is barely readable, I doubt it will be readable on a larger screen (as it's not the screen size, but the resolution that's the problem with PDF files).

I'm not too happy about buying a kindle DX, because of it's looks and lack of file support (not to mention SD Card support), but it's one of the few others which has a good resolution.

I guess the Jetbook Color will not meet my needs for now...
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #65
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
For text the color screen can use subpixel aliasing so it just might work ok on a PDF taking advantage of the eyes lack of color discernment for really small dots.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #66
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I just wished it would display most letter sized (or A4 sized)PDF files, but since it uses the same resolution as my 6" Sony PRS reader (which is 800x600 pix), and the text is barely readable, I doubt it will be readable on a larger screen (as it's not the screen size, but the resolution that's the problem with PDF files).

I'm not too happy about buying a kindle DX, because of it's looks and lack of file support (not to mention SD Card support), but it's one of the few others which has a good resolution.

I guess the Jetbook Color will not meet my needs for now...
I just received an e-mail from a friend of mine in Japan who just received hers. Here's a pic, looks like the resolution is fantastic! I think this is a lot more interesting of a product than people believe. I ordered mine and will write a review as soon as it's here:::

*I think you might have to click on the image to blow it up*

Click image for larger version

Name:	japanese text.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	81806
Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #67
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I just received an e-mail from a friend of mine in Japan who just received hers. Here's a pic, looks like the resolution is fantastic! I think this is a lot more interesting of a product than people believe. I ordered mine and will write a review as soon as it's here:::

*I think you might have to click on the image to blow it up*

Attachment 81806
...too bad I don't read Japanese. Is it japanese textbook on the screen?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #68
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
O it is about radiation effects on the human body, Ruby are impressive
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #69
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
...too bad I don't read Japanese. Is it japanese textbook on the screen?
According to Kumabjorn it's about radiation....possibly a textbook
Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #70
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made the preorder for jetbook Color but didn't receive it yet. I hope to get it next week..
Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #71
ProDigit
Karmaniac

As soon as you guys receive it, I'd love to take a few gif/jpg shots of a PDF science book (with some graphs) which I'd love you to show full screen on the device!

If possible I'd also create a PDF by copying one or two pages from regular PDF's to see how they display; but most PDF's I have are protected, so I can't copy their content to another without having to rebuild the page structure of the PDF.

I'm sure reading standard PDF's with reflow will be readable, but you'll lose all the formatting (and on many readers, the pictures too).

I wish to see if it displays PDF files with graphs and text without reflow, and if it is capable (probably not) to remove the white border around the page which wastes nearly an inch or two off your screen. Basically do a 'zoom to text' would probably make PDF's viewable on a 800x600 screen, but Adobe always limited their mobile apps to 'zoom to page'.

Even with interpollation the 800x600 screen might not be enough. At least, on a RBG LCD screen you need 1024x720 or 1024x768 for reading PDF's comfortably.
Try setting your resolution to 800x600, and you'll find you always have to make compromises reading PDF files (unless their format is smaller than A4 or letter format).
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #72
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
As soon as you guys receive it, I'd love to take a few gif/jpg shots of a PDF science book (with some graphs) which I'd love you to show full screen on the device!
If they ever get around to shipping it that's exactly what I intend to do. Considering some people already have them (or claim to...) there's a real dearth of decent hi-res photos out there.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #73
Kris777
Banned

LuBiB posted his jetBook Color review with many pictures here
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167587
Old 02-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #74
LuBiB
Banned

Check out my jetBook Color review guys, i think it will really help in your decision making process: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=jetbook+color
Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #75
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
WE found out about it. So WE started demanding the device be made
available. Ectaco now is letting us order the same device that they have
in Russian and some Eastern European school systems for contract
consideration. They have not yet produced a product for the general
purpose market in the US/Euro. Hanvon appears to be selling the same
hardware to the Asian market with more general purpose firmware.
Nope, you're wrong. Ectaco announced this for the US market back in June 2011. That news came only days after I learned that Ectaco was developing it for the Russian market.

Admittedly it's not done yet, but that is the fault of Ectaco.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote