Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
Well, then 1600x1200 is misleading. Anyway, is 800x600 enough for reading ?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #47
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Short answer, probably yes for reading text, only so so for color images.
800x600 looks pretty good on my old 10" Toshiba Satellite, though. It may
all depend on what you are comparing it to.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Is 800x600 enough for reading clearly books and scanned magazines and why resolution is being advertised as 1600x1200? Is it 1600x1200 subpixels which effectively is 800x600?
This is 800x600 at 9.7". It's going to be low resolution and very jagged. It's not going to be as good as if it was just the 1600x200 B&W display.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course it's misleading. Ectaco has a habit of lying when they advertise their products. That's why they say 1600x1200 instead of the correct 800x600.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:08 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Short answer, probably yes for reading text, only so so for color images.
800x600 looks pretty good on my old 10" Toshiba Satellite, though. It may
all depend on what you are comparing it to.

Luck;
Ken
But more colors can deceive the eye. Look at the old TV sets with the tubes.
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #51
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But more colors can deceive the eye. Look at the old TV sets with the tubes.
You mean 640x480?

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
You mean 640x480?

Luck;
Ken
I don't recall the resolution of NTSC TV, but it wasn't that high and was displayed on some big screens.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #53
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Look it up.

The NTSC 4:3 SD square pixel resolution is 640x480.
NTSC SD is also expressed as 720x480 using rectangular pixel.

In any case 800x600 is much better and more in line with a 15" monitor than with a TV.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #54
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post
DaleDe, you just misunderstood the whole conversation. I posted, that since may 2011 there is a b/w 2400x1650 display and wondered, how long it would take to bring out a color display based on it, which would obviously have 1200x825.
PF4Mobile suggested to look, how long it took to bring out a color display based on the Hanvon E920 b/w 1600x1200 display, which has 800x600.
So I don't need to read the wiki, you just need to read the posts carefully.
Since I wasn't answering your post then I stand by mine. However, your post of 1200x825 based on a subpixel density of 300 is, as you have said, been demonstrated although no actual product has ever been produced to my knowledge. 1200x825 is not the same as 1600x1200 so it is not based on the Hanvon design or pixel density. The Epson controller is capable of 2560 x 2048 @ 85 Hz for a color display so the limit is as it has always been how small can you make a subpixel.

I respond to the post that I quote, not to some post somewhere else. And my post is generally for the edification of other readers, not only one person. However, you personally seem to understand how this works, so it was clearly not aimed directly at you. 300 pixels per inch (150 ppi color) is not quite enough to satisfy some of the people in the particular thread it would seem, and it should all be done for a couple hundred bucks, while we're at it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:32 PM   #55
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I visited Ectaco booth on CES and tested jetBook Color with several books.
It looks pretty good. I tried to buy one on the show but they didn't sell it and asked me do preorder on their website.

E ink also promoted jetBook Color. I like this short video below

I think Ectaco will sell a lot of these units because nobody sell eBook readers with Color E ink screen in US yet and many people like to have a new technology.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #56
LovePlanetEarth
Connoisseur
LovePlanetEarth began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 Black (Finally!!!)
Kris777 - I believe "Looks pretty good" is not enough for such a price.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that this video and 4-5 others from the same event won't make me sure that this is a good product.

I am sure most of us here whant specifics, even more, a hands-on review!

JBC looks awesome "on paper" (that is if you read about its specifications). But how about its performance?

Does it freeze, how responsive is it to the stylus, how well is library organisation and so on...

Why don't Ectaco people make a proper review? Or even better still, get someone else to do it?

I guess I'm just thinking aloud... Don't think Ectaco would do it anyway...
LovePlanetEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #57
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
Kris777 - I believe "Looks pretty good" is not enough for such a price.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that this video and 4-5 others from the same event won't make me sure that this is a good product.

I am sure most of us here whant specifics, even more, a hands-on review!

JBC looks awesome "on paper" (that is if you read about its specifications). But how about its performance?

Does it freeze, how responsive is it to the stylus, how well is library organisation and so on...

Why don't Ectaco people make a proper review? Or even better still, get someone else to do it?

I guess I'm just thinking aloud... Don't think Ectaco would do it anyway...
Well, I spent less than 10 minutes to play with this unit and can't write the detailed review yet. I will do it as soon as get my unit from Ectaco.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #58
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Kris777,

I this there are a group of us (including LovePlanetEarth, myself, and others) who find the JetBook Color to be very interesting, but are somewhat hesitant to part with our money on a product which is hardly cheap, that we have not yet held in our own hands, or will be ale to hold and test ourselves prior to buying.

I am very interested in this product and find myself torn right now between this and the M92. I am willing to spend the money on such a product, but having been burned by Irex and the Iliad, I am a little gun-shy. I think there are others here who feel the same way.

But all of this has nothing to do with you.

I look forward to reading your review after you get your device and have a chance to put it through some use & abuse. I also thank you for your willingness to do so.
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #59
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerRabbit View Post
Kris777,

I this there are a group of us (including LovePlanetEarth, myself, and others) who find the JetBook Color to be very interesting, but are somewhat hesitant to part with our money on a product which is hardly cheap, that we have not yet held in our own hands, or will be ale to hold and test ourselves prior to buying.

I am very interested in this product and find myself torn right now between this and the M92. I am willing to spend the money on such a product, but having been burned by Irex and the Iliad, I am a little gun-shy. I think there are others here who feel the same way.

But all of this has nothing to do with you.

I look forward to reading your review after you get your device and have a chance to put it through some use & abuse. I also thank you for your willingness to do so.
There should be serious tests/reviews by major magazines - including company information. As far sas Pocketbook, Onyx, Ectaco, Hanvon goes,too much is in the dark. It seems to me that their devices are more or less experimental - and the custom does the testing.
Companies like Amazon,Koby,Sony invest large sums of money, actually risking it.
In the field of 9.7 e-readers this money is not available, so they have to pass
the risk to the customer.
The same goes for retail distribution.
It is quite funny that you expect customers to review/test products - a task which is normally done by professionals.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #60
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
There should be serious tests/reviews by major magazines - including company information. As far sas Pocketbook, Onyx, Ectaco, Hanvon goes,too much is in the dark. It seems to me that their devices are more or less experimental - and the custom does the testing.
Companies like Amazon,Koby,Sony invest large sums of money, actually risking it.
In the field of 9.7 e-readers this money is not available, so they have to pass
the risk to the customer.
The same goes for retail distribution.
It is quite funny that you expect customers to review/test products - a task which is normally done by professionals.
Hmm... they say that nobody wants to see how saugage or laws are made.
With the internet and forums like this, we hear of and see more of the
proccess to bring a product to market than we ever have.

Not everything developed enters the US/Euro market right away. Not
everything is initially intended for this market.

Hanvon worked with e-Ink to develop and bring to market the first
commercially available color e-Ink display ereading device.

Ectaco contracted with Hanvon to obtain a device that they (Ectaco)
could make into a competitive product, for a Russian school systems
contract. They had already been working in that market with one of their
other readers.

WE found out about it. So WE started demanding the device be made
available. Ectaco now is letting us order the same device that they have
in Russian and some Eastern European school systems for contract
consideration. They have not yet produced a product for the general
purpose market in the US/Euro. Hanvon appears to be selling the same
hardware to the Asian market with more general purpose firmware.

So, the "testing" by the customers is taking place in Asia and Russian schools
and Universities. That might be a pretty good and comprehensive testing
environment. Ectaco is trying to win a competition in the case of the Russian
contract, so I expect that they are fielding the best product that they can
provide and will be implementing whatever reasonable improvements or
corrections brought to them by the Russians.

Luck;
Ken