Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
New to the JetBook world..intrested in buying JetBook Color

Hi all

I just found out about the colour version of JetBook and to be honest with you, today it was the first time I read/hear about this manufacture.
I am really excited about their new model and I am looking at buying one. Could you please answer these questions and kindly point me to the pages where I can read more? I could not find much about the device.
Here are my questions:

-What OS is the device running?
-Is there any developer group/community?
-What PDF reader is it running?
-what are the capabilities of this PDF reader in terms of annotating and highlighting PDFs?
-Can the annotations and the highlights be exported on PC? What format is it used?

Thanks
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
All good questions, that are not readily available. I haven't seen any English manual,
only a Russian one.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color/

You might post your questions to the Ectaco Forum:

http://www.ectaco.com/forums/show/185.page

Jerry may be able to obtain some of those answers.

Luck;
Ken

P.S. When you first click on a thread, you will be redirected to the Ectaco main page,
just use your browser's back arrow to return to the forum and select the thread again,
you will then get there.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-03-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Thanks Ken I already checked those pages, I could not find much there and their forums seems to receive less traffic that this one...
Do they reply to questions on their own forum?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: PB912 Matt White
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
-What OS is the device running?
Well, I found a russian manual and on page 2 stands "Windows является зарегистрированной торговой маркой [...]" (Windows is a registered trademark ...). It's the only occurence of the word, so it's unclear, which OS it uses.

Images are looking fine: http://www.jetbookcolor.ru/gallery

Last edited by Backi; 01-03-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Backi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Ken I already checked those pages, I could not find much there and their forums seems to receive less traffic that this one...
Do they reply to questions on their own forum?
Usually they do respond, but as you noted there is not much traffic there
right now (perhaps the release of the Color jetBook will bring back the
posters). The Ectaco guys aren't likely to respond except during working
hours on working days.

Luck;
Ken
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Backi
Connoisseur
Backi has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityBacki has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I found a post, where the user opened a jetBook Color:
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewt...65da450#800932

He writes, that on the backside of a back plate stands Windows Embedded CE 6.0 core!
EDIT: As this Hanvon reader is the foundation, it states WinCE 6.0:
http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-C920.html

Another one writes about the confusion concerning the resolution. As far as I understood, the reader has a 800x600 ppi and with subpixel-dithering it makes out of it 1600x1200 dpi.
9.68" x >200 dpi ~= sqrt(1600^2 + 1200^2)

Last edited by Backi; 01-03-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backi View Post

He writes, that on the backside of a back plate stands Windows Embedded CE 6.0 core!

Another one writes about the confusion concerning the resolution. As far as I understood, the reader has a 800x600 ppi and with subpixel-dithering it makes out of it 1600x1200 dpi.
Wow!
That opens a can of worms for me!
I do have a WinCE phone (old) but I have never investigated the posibility to use it for ereading (small screen)
Now I will have to look and see what PDF annotation apps are out there.
I read on Wikipedia that older version of these readers were using FoxIt PDF... not bad!

see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECTACO_jetBook
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:

Hmm... that could be very interesting. A large display version of that OS
could provide for the use of the many existing win mobile/pocketPC
applications out there. I have plenty on my PDA, that would be interesting
and useful on such a device. As for eReading, I used to read on my PDA
long before I ever got a dedicated eReader. There are a number of reading
apps for that OS.

Luck;
Ken
Old 01-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Hmm... that could be very interesting. A large display version of that OS
could provide for the use of the many existing win mobile/pocketPC
applications out there. I have plenty on my PDA, that would be interesting
and useful on such a device. As for eReading, I used to read on my PDA
long before I ever got a dedicated eReader. There are a number of reading
apps for that OS.

Luck;
Ken
what is it available on the market for PDF reading and annotating?

the screen technology is explained here

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E_Ink_Triton
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
-what are the capabilities of this PDF reader in terms of annotating and highlighting PDFs?
The box cover in this post shows at least annotations in a document.

A poster mentiones, that DJVU is not in the list of supported formats listed in the manual on page 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.jetbookcolor.ru/manual/jbc_manual_sale.pdf
Обычный текст (.txt), FictionBook (.fb2), Mobipocket (.mobi), PRC, PDB, EPUB, RTF, HTML и PDF
Whereas
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ectaco.com/jetBook_Color
Support for: Adobe DRM 9.1, ePub, Mobi, PRC, RTF, TXT, PDF, FB2, djvu, JPG, Gif, PNG, BMP (more to come).
Did they customize the reader for american/european market?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
what is it available on the market for PDF reading and annotating?

the screen technology is explained here

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E_Ink_Triton
You might try googling: "Windows CE 6.0 apps PDF" and "Win Mobile apps"
to find some, as well as other info on the OS. I would expect that a PDF
viewer would be included in the initial apps and with the devices annotating
functions already in place for the academic version, I would expect that as
well.

I would hope that they make it so that the existing apps/cab files can be
installed. If not, I would expect that to be one of the first hacks.

Luck;
Ken

The "Foxit" reader has a free version for Win CE that includes annotations.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Backi
Connoisseur

Quote:
-What PDF reader is it running?
The guy from Ectaco states in this video: take notes, highlight and even underline.

Last edited by Backi; 01-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru

Thanks Ken
I looked at that too. (mobile foxit ).
I am now reading the russian forum for this device.
They are quite frustrated and they are waiting for the US version to be released this month hopping that this new release will fix issues.
The reader seem to be based on Hanvon hardware and I was reading also that this one has problems with the software. Apparently whatever is software written in China is not very good. I think that the device is hackable and sooner or later they will "root" the device to say so.
I am about to pull the trigger for an Onyx M92, that sells for 439$ shipping included hoping to pay no taxes
This one (jetBook Color) is 500$+taxes+shipping and handling. Not sure if I want to wait to have a clearer picture about what this one can do. According with the specs it does a lot. I would need to find out more about PDF functionality and clarify that resolution issue...
Old 01-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #14
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
The guy from Ectaco states in this video: take notes, highlight and even underline.
he says that but can we see it :-) ? Seeing is believing.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard

There are a number of choices for reading PDFs in this price range and display size.
The street pricing tends to drop after the initial release. If you don't need the e-ink
ability to read in the sun, their are plenty of Honeycomb 10" display color LCD devices.
I have the ASUS Pad Transformer myself, but I like the Toshiba Thrive's specs better.
The jetBook Color has the distinction of being the first Color E-Ink eReader of this size.

Luck;
Ken