Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Sony Tablet S

I ordered one today. My NOOKcolor is packed and ready to be shipped off to its new owner.

Professional reviewers vary in their opinion of build quality. I'll have to see for myself. Couldn't hold out for a review from Lisa (MobileTechReview).

Last edited by SCION; 09-18-2011 at 06:05 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: NOOKColor (sdCM7), Kindle 4
Unhappy

Lisa did do a review.

Here's the "first look" that came out a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkPbnxbc9MU

and here's the full review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWIp6MEjZs

Sad to hear you sold your nook color. I'm hanging on to mine a while longer. I've been looking at android tablets for a few months and the Sony is the first one that set off the "I want that!" button in my mind. Ahhh... the lack of disposable income...

ETA: I have no clue why the frown face is on the title of my post. Oh well.

Last edited by Eskarina; 09-18-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, not sure how I overlooked it! I've been on YouTube the past few days viewing everything spoken in English.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I really like how it looks, if only there was a 7" version...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Very cool the Sony tablet loss like a great device, mind giving us a first impressions when you get it? I'm interested on your opinion of the device.

I don't know if I could ditch my nook, with CM7 I'm as happy as a clam.

BTW with so many good options for the android tablets it's really hard to choose one over the other, what was it about the sony tablet that made you choose it.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
BTW with so many good options for the android tablets it's really hard to choose one over the other, what was it about the sony tablet that made you choose it.
You're so right about the choices. More than once I was tempted to buy, but passed because of weight. Then when the 10.1 inch Galaxy Tab came on the scene and I held it, I became more and more aware of the heaviness of the NOOKcolor for its size.

The Sony held my interest because of the 9.4 inch screen, form factor, and weight. When I viewed the specs and saw it is the same weight as the iPad 2 I gave it serious consideration. Being comfortable to hold in portrait mode is a big plus for me as it'll primarily be used for reading. I want a device I can use without a cover, though it will be kept in a slip case. The NOOKcolor is very uncomfortable for me to hold naked for more than a few minutes. I don't want to go through that again, particularly with a larger device.

As for getting rid of the NOOKcolor, I enjoyed it immensely after replacing the stock ROM. Just tired of the 7" screen and the noticeable heft more than anything.

Last edited by SCION; 09-19-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Someone broke the proprietary charging cable on their unit. Not sure if it was user error or bad designing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7oz...eature=related
Old 09-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Someone broke the proprietary charging cable on their unit. Not sure if it was user error or bad designing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7oz...eature=related
Sony has always had a separate charger even when you can also charge via the USB. It will charge faster than the USB connection. The PSP charger will work and that it cheaper than any of the model specific chargers.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sony has always had a separate charger even when you can also charge via the USB. It will charge faster than the USB connection. The PSP charger will work and that it cheaper than any of the model specific chargers.
Doesn't the PSP charger have a "barrel" connector? I'm trying to recall from my Sony 900 days. I know it worked on the Reader, but their tablet is totally different.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskarina View Post
Lisa did do a review.

Here's the "first look" that came out a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkPbnxbc9MU

and here's the full review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLWIp6MEjZs

Sad to hear you sold your nook color. I'm hanging on to mine a while longer. I've been looking at android tablets for a few months and the Sony is the first one that set off the "I want that!" button in my mind. Ahhh... the lack of disposable income...

ETA: I have no clue why the frown face is on the title of my post. Oh well.

As usual Lisa from Mobiletech review did an outstanding job, man why can't Cnet, Engadget etc do these types of indepth reviews?
This is quite impressive. Sony's skin and their touch ups on this tablet are quite impressive. This is a very slick device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
I ordered one today. My NOOKcolor is packed and ready to be shipped off to its new owner.

Professional reviewers vary in their opinion of build quality. I'll have to see for myself. Couldn't hold out for a review from Lisa (MobileTechReview).
It finally arrived today! Been jonesing for an Android tablet. Having only a laptop, smartphone, and eink device hasn't been enough to occupy my time.

Last edited by SCION; 09-27-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
So, tell us how you like it!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
So, tell us how you like it!
I'm forcing myself to go to bed now!

I'll address the build quality. It's much heavier than I anticipated. Some refer to it as cheap and "toy-llke", so I expected the thing to feel hollow and unnaturally light in weight. This is simply not the case. Yes, it's plastic. The screen is not Gorilla glass. The unit is solid with no flexing and it doesn't feel like a toy in the general sense of the word. Compared to the other tablets made of metal with heavy glass it is noticeably lighter because of the materials. That's a plus for me. I held other tablets and they were too heavy and large for me. As I mentioned in another post, being comfortable to hold in portrait mode for long periods of time is a must have feature for me. Being comfortable to hold in landscape mode for long periods of time is a must have feature for me.

This is a tablet I will carry with me every day because of its weight and practical form factor, along with my Sony 950. The Sony Reader tablet app syncs sideloaded books with my 950. It doesn't have a robust feature set, but that alone gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll purchase my books from Sony (when possible) going forward as a show of support.

I'll share more stuff in another post.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I'm forcing myself to go to bed now!

I'll address the build quality. It's much heavier than I anticipated. Some refer to it as cheap and "toy-llke", so I expected the thing to feel hollow and unnaturally light in weight. This is simply not the case. Yes, it's plastic. The screen is not Gorilla glass. The unit is solid with no flexing and it doesn't feel like a toy in the general sense of the word. Compared to the other tablets made of metal with heavy glass it is noticeably lighter because of the materials. That's a plus for me. I held other tablets and they were too heavy and large for me. As I mentioned in another post, being comfortable to hold in portrait mode for long periods of time is a must have feature for me. Being comfortable to hold in landscape mode for long periods of time is a must have feature for me.

This is a tablet I will carry with me every day because of its weight and practical form factor, along with my Sony 950. The Sony Reader tablet app syncs sideloaded books with my 950. It doesn't have a robust feature set, but that alone gets a big thumbs up from me. I'll purchase my books from Sony (when possible) going forward as a show of support.

I'll share more stuff in another post.
Linking your first impressions so far, thx.

I know it's not reading related, but the device is suppose to be PSP certified, whatever that means, is there any meat to that or is it just another marketing check box?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Linking your first impressions so far, thx.

I know it's not reading related, but the device is suppose to be PSP certified, whatever that means, is there any meat to that or is it just another marketing check box?

=X=
Just want to quickly acknowledge your post. Time will tell if there's anything to it. Will there be a Playstation Game store and only certified devices are compatible? Who knows.