Notices

Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Problems after updating connect software

Hi!

When connecting using my Connect software today I got the info about an update and of course decided to install that. The installation seemed to work fine, but... after that I can' start the Connect software anymore. I have Windows Vista, and it just give me the nice message "ebook library has stopped working" and then the only option is to close. I have the 500 reader and have probably bought 75-100 books from the Connect store and it is kind of bugging me not to be able to even connect anymore. Anyone having similar problems and especially is there anyone who knows what is wrong and how to solve it.

Grateful for help!

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I don't know what's wrong, as it could be several things, but can make the following suggestions:

1. Reboot your computer and try again.

2. If no luck, try temporarily shutting down your antivirus program (possibly an icon in the sys tray).

3. If that does not work, shut down any anti-spyware programs running.

4. Check to see what firewalls you have running, and shut them down temporarily.

5. If none of that works, try re-installing the Connect software.

Whatever happens, be sure to re-activate the antivirus, antispyware and firewall programs.

Good luck!
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
Zevs
Book lover!!

Hi!

Thanks for the advice, I have done these things already and still have the same problem! Is the old software available somewhere so I can try to go back to that ?

Zevs
Old 10-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you tried Ebook Library as the administrator?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have the 1.1. version. My 500 came with 1.0 and was upgraded online. However, I might have a copy sitting on my mother's laptop. But, I don't have access to it at the moment.
Advert
Old 10-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I'm not very sharp here with this but why can't he go to Sony connect and download 2.0? Isn't he trying to connect his 500 to Sony Connect???
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
I'm not very sharp here with this but why can't he go to Sony connect and download 2.0? Isn't he trying to connect his 500 to Sony Connect???
The problem is probably to do with Vista. It usually is. But that aside..

He had Connect 1.1 on his computer. It said there is an update which was then downloaded and installed. Now Ebook Library crashes in Vista. He wants to go back to 1.1. I don't have the 1.1 install. If I have it, it's sitting on my mother's laptop.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is probably to do with Vista. It usually is. But that aside..

He had Connect 1.1 on his computer. It said there is an update which was then downloaded and installed. Now Ebook Library crashes in Vista. He wants to go back to 1.1. I don't have the 1.1 install. If I have it, it's sitting on my mother's laptop.
Thanks Jon! Yes that is a correct description of my problem. It isn't just Vista though that is the problem, becuase I luckily have another computer, also running Vista, and there I could install and start the updated Connect software without any problems. That was a clean installation, because I didn't have any earlier version of the Connect software on it. It is still a hassle though because all my books are on the other computer, so if you or anyone else have a version of the 1.1 installation file that I could get my hands on, I would be very grateful!

Have written to the Connect support also, but haven't got any reply yet.

Zevs
Old 10-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevs View Post
Thanks Jon! Yes that is a correct description of my problem. It isn't just Vista though that is the problem, becuase I luckily have another computer, also running Vista, and there I could install and start the updated Connect software without any problems. That was a clean installation, because I didn't have any earlier version of the Connect software on it. It is still a hassle though because all my books are on the other computer, so if you or anyone else have a version of the 1.1 installation file that I could get my hands on, I would be very grateful!

Have written to the Connect support also, but haven't got any reply yet.

Zevs
Since you have Ebook Library working on one computer, you can move all the books from the computer where it does not work to the computer where it does work and from there put them on the Reader.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you have Ebook Library working on one computer, you can move all the books from the computer where it does not work to the computer where it does work and from there put them on the Reader.
No sorry Jon, that doesn't work with books I bought from the Connect bookstore, I need to re-download my books again the store. Not the worst problem perhaps, but I still want to have the program running again on the original computer.

Zevs
Old 10-18-2007, 03:30 PM   #11
Zevs
Book lover!!

Hi Jon!

Could you please do that again, my browser had a popup blocker on, but I have deactivated it now. Sorry for the hassle!

Zevs
Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevs View Post
Hi Jon!

Could you please do that again, my browser had a popup blocker on, but I have deactivated it now. Sorry for the hassle!

Zevs
Just click on User CP and you can list messages and get the PM again without needing it popped up.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #13
Greymage
Greymage began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Wireless Reading Device
I've had Connect crash when there's a corrupted database. You might try renaming the existing database to something else and see if Connect works then (you'll have to relogin to the store and redownload your books, plus reimport everything in your library).

On Windows XP the db directory is under Local Settings->Application Data->Sony (or something like that), not sure where it is on Vista.
Greymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Zevs, I hope you get this fixed. Good luck! Once you get it resolved, please let us know what the cause may have been. Until then, I may just avoid starting the Connect software for awhile.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:30 PM   #15
Zevs
Book lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymage View Post
I've had Connect crash when there's a corrupted database. You might try renaming the existing database to something else and see if Connect works then (you'll have to relogin to the store and redownload your books, plus reimport everything in your library).

On Windows XP the db directory is under Local Settings->Application Data->Sony (or something like that), not sure where it is on Vista.
Thanks Greymage! I did get hold of the previous version (v.1.1, thanks Jon!!) and reinstalled that and everything works fine again. So I'm OK now, and can keep on buying great books from the Connect store.

Zevs