Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Serif or Sans-Serif Preference?
Serif (with the small finishing strokes) 92 56.10%
Sans-Serif (without the small finishing strokes) 51 31.10%
Don't Care / Don't Notice 21 12.80%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Sans! Serif makes me letter switching happen more often. Sometimes when I'm reading, letters in words switch places and poof you get a new word hahaha. It seems to happen more with the serif fonts.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
Serif for e-ink ereaders, sans-serif for LCD/backlit ereaders and screens. Not sure why I make those distinctions. The article was interesting though, thanks.
This.

Serifs are easier for the eye to follow in print & non-lit screens like e-ink. Sans serif is easier on backlit screens and anything with low resolution; the extra pixels get in the way.

I would probably like a slab serif font on higher-res backlit screens; Rockwell would probably be good.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2011, 01:05 PM   #33
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I suppose it may have something to do with my age. I'm old enough to have grown up talking about "founts" (English) rather than "fonts" (American). I find sans-serif ugly and unappealing, but unfortunately they are everywhere today. But with electronic media one usually has a choice, so we can all be happy.

I should like to add that I was a fan of the country of San Seriffe.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #34
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Serif for eink. Sans for LCD.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #35
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
The sans serif seems darker to me, I like it better.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #36
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
The sans serif seems darker to me, I like it better.
Can you tell, though, if the serifs themselves make a difference? As in, if the serif font were darker, would you like it better still? Do you have a book with some bold text to compare, perhaps?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #37
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know, I can't find a book with bold text so I can compare them. I just like the clean look of the sans serif.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #38
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Sans serif for headlines and advertising; serif for e-ink and printed texts and body copy.

I am quite surprised the research over the years has shown no legibility advantage because for me serif is plainly a more comfortable read. Then again, classic serif fonts are just more elegant. As much as I like sans serif like Frutiger, and find slab serif fonts like Rockwell downright ugly, many of the newer serif fonts like Georgia have reinforced, in my view, the serif legibility and comfort factor.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 05-29-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: deleted a rogue "sans" that slipped in
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #39
PG4003
Addict

I love the Georgia font, I wish I had it on my Kindle. On my K2, I had done the font hack and had mine set to the Georgia font, but I tried to install the font hack on my K3 and almost bricked it so I'm scared to try again.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #40
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
As much as I like sans serif like Frutiger, and find slab serif fonts like Rockwell downright ugly, many of the newer serif fonts like Georgia have reinforced, in my view, the serif legibility and comfort factor.
I find Rockwell ugly in print. I like it on low-res screens and for tiny type on the e-ink screen, where the not-slab serifs tend to look blurry at the edges.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #41
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
agree with all those who said that it very much depends on the font - used to be a "Sans" fan, until I discovered Gentium, and more recently Lexia DaMa (a free Caecilia clone), now the standard font on my reader. Both Gentium and Lexia DaMa are Serif, but there are more Sans fonts that I haven't experimented sufficiently and that look beautiful, as e.g. the Ubuntu font family. Some fonts have both a Serif and a Sans serif version, e.g. Droid.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #42
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Paola: Thanks for the link on Gentium ... gorgeous text font ... perfect for rereading Sherlock Holmes!

There's even a download link: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...ntium_download
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #43
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Question wasn't specific enough. For reading books (including ebooks) I prefer a serif font; on my computer screens for reading emails, web pages and the like, I prefer a sans serif font.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:23 PM   #44
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Question wasn't specific enough. For reading books (including ebooks) I prefer a serif font; on my computer screens for reading emails, web pages and the like, I prefer a sans serif font.
"When reading on an e-Reader, do you prefer Serif or Sans-Serif fonts? "

You need to read the first post...more room for details than the title.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Paola: Thanks for the link on Gentium ... gorgeous text font ... perfect for rereading Sherlock Holmes!

There's even a download link: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...ntium_download
glad you like it: but I got it in turn from Kacir, who has a lot of interesting things to say on fonts (here just one example).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote