Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
windowsrefund
Connoisseur
windowsrefund began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wifi
Next firmware update for kobo wifi?

When will it be released and what functionality/fixes will it deliver?

(Please don't turn this into a feature request thread).
windowsrefund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

bumped
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

bump. Anyone devs awake?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Not on a weekend...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I can't speak for the developers, of course (many of whom were at CES this week), but given that a light mention of a possible enhancement gets somehow transformed by some into a promise that is never here soon enough, I don't expect much in the way of future announcements before they are ready to go.

Jordan (JCKobo) did say that they had a minor update for the WiFi that will fix the sleep problem that was missed in 1.7.4. I would not be surprised to see that fairly quickly, now that the holidays and CES are over.

Last edited by taming; 01-09-2011 at 03:25 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@windowsrefund, was there a specific problem or feature you were waiting for?
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

There are plenty but I don't want this to turn into a feature request thread. Any clue as to what is in the pipeline and when we'll see it?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
batkinson001
Kobo App user
batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.batkinson001 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
well there is at least one thing that the new firmware on the original kobo has that the wifi kobo doesn't, BMP file viewing (as far as I know, seen it in a thread on here)...
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Also CBZ/CBR viewing.
That's the one I'm waiting for.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
windowsrefund
Connoisseur

Is this request for information so unreasonable? Not a single developer can provide a heads up to this community as far as what is being worked on and when it's targeted for release?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
Is this request for information so unreasonable? Not a single developer can provide a heads up to this community as far as what is being worked on and when it's targeted for release?

Considering how bashed they got for not releasing the original kobo firmware "on time", I don't blame them whatsoever for not giving a release date. It's great that interest is still being shown, and they have stated that it's being worked on, and that's should be good enough for everyone. I don't want a date that they might not be able to hold to for whatever reason. Give it to us when it's done.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowsrefund View Post
It would, in my experience, be unusual to get anything other than hints and vague details regarding enhancements and updates, regardless of the device or software.

You may think it's a small thing but someone with even a whiff of officiality even hinted that they're trying to get a version of Tetris (for example) running on the Kobo, it would hound them until they either delivered it or 'til the End Of Days, whichever happened first.
And so they keep things necessarily vague, if not on the down-low until as details on what updates may contain/add/enhance, and when they may arrive are always subject to revision. In short, developers (and again I'm referring to those from all walks of electronics) tend to not make promises that they can't keep. And while that may be frustrating to some degree on our (the end-user) end, it is preferable to the alternative.

Having said all that, when it comes to firmware 'fixes', developers are more forthcoming as it's obviously important for a user to know that their problems are being addressed. And from what I've seen, the Kobo staff that visit and take part in this forum lean towards they 'very responsive' end of the spectrum.

But if you're just fishing for what's in the pipeline...good luck.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
KoboNo
Connoisseur
KoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of lightKoboNo is a glorious beacon of light

I think it is reasonable to say that Kobo has no clue when the next update is coming. They had trouble with infinite 'coming soon' claims and should be careful what information is released. Any false information, be it on these unofficial boards or their own site only makes them look silly. I am all for them giving us information but continuous delays to promises don't help anyone.
KoboNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombWii View Post
...they're trying to get a version of Tetris ... running on the Kobo...
Alright, dev team, I'm holding you to this!
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
Alright, dev team, I'm holding you to this!
My thought's exactly!! A good Tetris was (is) one of my favourites of all time. Could be a little hard on the d-pad though
robko is offline   Reply With Quote