Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
brunnhilde44
brunnhilde44 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Unhappy Missing Kobo cables

My husband bought a Kobo some time ago and it doesn't get used often now that he has an ipad. The upshot is that he has lost the Kobo cables and we can't charge it or order new books (for me).
Chapters suggested going to Best Buy but they don't stock the cables and I have not been able to get any help online - which is really surprising!
Can anyone suggest a solution?
brunnhilde44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I can use my cell phone charger for my Kobo. The Kobo just came with a USB connector for the PC and a lot of people don't like charging it that way, so they use their cell phone chargers (if the same format - which mine happens to be).

Some people may also have various USB cables hanging around the house (for other gadgets - like cameras), so you could try that, too.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
That is a standard (USB 2.0) to (USB 5-pin Mini-B) Cable that every camera, MP3 player and phone uses. It's in stock for about five to ten dollars in every store you walk into. Go to any palce they would have cables - WallMart, CTC, etc. You don't need to go online because they're so readily available. Most people have several in their home already. Look around.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...697&CatId=5414

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=012326
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
sunami88
Enthusiast
sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.sunami88 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo
Yep, like ltr said, any 'ol Mini-B cable (that's MINI, not MICRO) will do. Heck, my Sony digital camera came with one in like 1999. Shouldn't be too hard to track down. Try not to pay more than about $15-20 for one though, some places love to charge insane prices for these kinds of things.

Last edited by sunami88; 12-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.
sunami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
I've lost track of how many of those I have kicking around the house. Those and ikea hex keys :-)
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
brunnhilde44
brunnhilde44 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for the advice! I tend to think of cables as specific to one device when that's not so. I tried the cable for our camcorder and it works perfectly with the KoBo. So we are all set to go!
However I think I will also get a plug which enables charging from a socket.
brunnhilde44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstar View Post
I've lost track of how many of those I have kicking around the house. Those and ikea hex keys :-)
I second that 1st part... Right now I have one of those cables plugged into the back of my computer that services my Kobo, my Nikon Camera, my wife's Fuji Camera and an MP3 player I found while out for a walk... but really, Best Buy should have them. They are a really common cable. Future shop should too. Wal-Mart. If you have "The Source" store near you, they would probably have them as well.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnhilde44 View Post
Those are also universal and will charge all sorts of devices from cell phones to MP3 players to pocket camcorders to ereaders. They're also cheap and can be had for under $10.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
A great site for cables and that sort of stuff (like USB chargers) is Monoprice.com, I've bought lots of cables from them without any problems and the prices are great. They're in the US so shipping costs a few bucks and isn't that quick but I'd rather pay $1 for the cable + $2 shipping and wait a week than end up paying $10 - $15 at futureshop or bestbuy.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
KjellM
Connoisseur
KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.KjellM can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Glo HD, Aura ONE
Most of the dollar stores around me have these USB cables for $1.00 to $1.50. Cell phones have mostly switched to the Micro-B connector so there seems to be a lot of these Mini-B cables around for cheap.
KjellM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
G0AT
Addict
G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G0AT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnhilde44 View Post
Thanks for the advice! I tend to think of cables as specific to one device when that's not so. I tried the cable for our camcorder and it works perfectly with the KoBo. So we are all set to go!
You should be able to get a USB power adapter (the device that allows charging from a socket) at Canada Computers for $5. Go to canadacomputers.com and search for "USB Power Adapter", then scroll down to the "Belkin F8Z121 USB AC Power Adapter" to see if they have any near you. That's what I use and it works perfectly.
G0AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
ninicraftone
ninicraftone began at the beginning.

I love that kobo chose to use that cable rather than a less common one or a proprietary one. When I travel I have so many cables and adapters to pack that I now have a policy of trying to only buy new devices that use one of the common usb cables: regular, mini, or micro.

Thanks kobo for keeping the cable and charger situation simple and cheap.
ninicraftone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:33 AM   #13
Ambush
Ambush began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Belkin makes a nice retractable mini-USB cable that is much easier to store in one's bag than a standard cable.
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
A great site for cables and that sort of stuff (like USB chargers) is Monoprice.com, I've bought lots of cables from them without any problems and the prices are great. They're in the US so shipping costs a few bucks and isn't that quick but I'd rather pay $1 for the cable + $2 shipping and wait a week than end up paying $10 - $15 at futureshop or bestbuy.
Amazon are good for cheap cables, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo-cables- lost