Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
And "unlimited 3G" could mean that it is not limited as to WHERE it can go on the web. It does not necessarily mean "unlimited download bandwidth". Even some cellphone companies that DO advertised "unlimited downloads" still impose a (hidden) data cap, although it is a lot higher than 50MB.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #47
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
"Unlimited" 3G wasn't mentioned, people are just adding that in themselves!

From the wayback machine showing the Kindle 3G pre-order page on Amazon:

Quote:
Free 3G Wireless – No monthly payments, no annual contracts

Global 3G Coverage
Travel the globe and still get books in under 60 seconds. Kindle uses GSM technology—the most popular mobile wireless standard - with wireless coverage in over 100 countries and territories, such as Australia, Hong Kong, Germany, Japan, Norway, Spain, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and many others. Stay in touch with news from home by having your newspaper and magazine subscriptions delivered wirelessly while you travel.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #48
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Got a reply:

Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused in this regard.

I understand your concern regarding the report on MobileRead.com.

We didn't change any policy and we don't have any comments on other websites.

However there is no need to concern, your wireless connection is free and included with your Kindle purchase. There's no confusing service plans, no contracts or commitments, and no monthly fees.

Shopping and downloading from the Kindle Store is free. So is accessing your Archived Items on Amazon.com and Kindle's Basic Web that allows you to browse and search on the Internet.

Delivery of personal documents via 3G carries a charge of $0.15 per megabyte of content you submit for conversion.

If you need any further assistance, you can always write back by visiting this link and state the problem or request a call from us, we will help you right away.

http://amzn.to/XXXXX

We appreciate your understanding and we look forward to seeing you again

Thank you for your inquiry.
After reading more about this 50meg limit around the net it seems the limit is only for outside the US.

I don't think I'm entitled to unlimited 3g for paying my extra $50 but I also do not appreciate being penalized because of a smacktards on the internet. Want to punish someone? Punish them, turn off the 3g access for those units using the hack to share the 3g connection.
Yeah, this issue/scare has come up a few times in the last ~2 years, and so far, it has always turned out to be a confusion about US usage vs outside. Someone finds the rules about outside the US and thinks it's new and now applies to the US.

Who knows, but seems likely when the Amazon rep says nothing has changed.

Thanks for posting the reply for us.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #49
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
It's a really understandable change to make, for people outside of the US. The problem is largely with tethering the device to a PC and using it for a free broadband connection. Amazon are the ones picking up the bill, and it's surprising they've taken this long.

BlackBerry had to do the same thing over here - after they audited the service after years of 'free for all', at the end the numbers were pretty straight forward : 95% of bandwidth use was the result of <5% of the active user base (iirc they later confirmed it was more like 98%).
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #50
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
Got a reply:

Quote:
Hello,

I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused in this regard.

I understand your concern regarding the report on MobileRead.com.

We didn't change any policy and we don't have any comments on other websites.

However there is no need to concern, your wireless connection is free and included with your Kindle purchase. There's no confusing service plans, no contracts or commitments, and no monthly fees.

Shopping and downloading from the Kindle Store is free. So is accessing your Archived Items on Amazon.com and Kindle's Basic Web that allows you to browse and search on the Internet.

Delivery of personal documents via 3G carries a charge of $0.15 per megabyte of content you submit for conversion.

If you need any further assistance, you can always write back by visiting this link and state the problem or request a call from us, we will help you right away.

http://amzn.to/XXXXX

We appreciate your understanding and we look forward to seeing you again

Thank you for your inquiry.
After reading more about this 50meg limit around the net it seems the limit is only for outside the US.

I don't think I'm entitled to unlimited 3g for paying my extra $50 but I also do not appreciate being penalized because of a smacktards on the internet. Want to punish someone? Punish them, turn off the 3g access for those units using the hack to share the 3g connection.
That's not a complete answer, since it didn't address the 50MB limit. Amazon's response just adds to the confusion and compounds it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #51
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's not a complete answer, since it didn't address the 50MB limit. Amazon's response just adds to the confusion and compounds it.
Here it is straight from the official "amazon kindle keyboard support" page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200505470

An amazon policy change announced 2012 July 1 added this text:
Quote:
The Experimental Web Browser is currently only available for some customers outside of the United States and may be limited to 50MB of browsing over 3G per month. This limit does not apply when customers are browsing over Wi-Fi.
So, it appears that the 50mb limit really DID go into effect on 2012 July 1, which tends to support the claims made in the first post of this thread.

More supporting information:
http://www.gadgetbox.msnbc.msn.com/t...-limits-910470

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-25-2012 at 08:49 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #52
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right, but that's why we're saying it seems the limit is only for outside the US; both of those pages are addressing non-US Kindle users.

The person who emailed Amazon is in the US, and was told there was no change. So it makes sense... but like i said, who knows.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #53
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Right, but that's why we're saying it seems the limit is only for outside the US; both of those pages are addressing non-US Kindle users.

The person who emailed Amazon is in the US, and was told there was no change. So it makes sense... but like i said, who knows.
Amazon should've addressed the 50MB cap in their response to eliminate the confusion.

I hate half answers.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #54
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon should've addressed the 50MB cap in their response to eliminate the confusion.

I hate half answers.
Oh, me too.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 AM   #55
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post

In that case, I might email them and ask why there the discrepancy between those in the US and those not. Why cap one and not the other. I don't use a 3G Kindle, don't see a problem with them putting some kind of cap in place, but that just makes me want to buy a Sony or Kobo instead!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
In that case, I might email them and ask why there the discrepancy between those in the US and those not. Why cap one and not the other. I don't use a 3G Kindle, don't see a problem with them putting some kind of cap in place, but that just makes me want to buy a Sony or Kobo instead!
I would imagine it's capped in countries where Amazon doesn't have a roaming arrangement with a local telecoms operator. That's only a guess of course, but I'd be interested to know if it's capped in the UK, for example, where Amazon have a deal with Vodafone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #57
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
BlackBerry had to do the same thing over here - after they audited the service after years of 'free for all', at the end the numbers were pretty straight forward : 95% of bandwidth use was the result of <5% of the active user base (iirc they later confirmed it was more like 98%).
Isn't that the same justification that companies like Verizon have used when doing away with their unlimited plans? "Only 2% of data users go over X-amount of GBs a month, so most everyone will be ok with these tiers!"
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #58
StephenM
Temporal Tourist
StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.StephenM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo VOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Of course, the Kobo and Sony readers have no 3G offerings that I am aware of, so you might as well say that you are switching to a Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, and abandoning the 3G feature.
StephenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #59
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would imagine it's capped in countries where Amazon doesn't have a roaming arrangement with a local telecoms operator. That's only a guess of course, but I'd be interested to know if it's capped in the UK, for example, where Amazon have a deal with Vodafone.
That's a very good point HarryT. I never thought of that, and that would make some sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenM View Post
Of course, the Kobo and Sony readers have no 3G offerings that I am aware of, so you might as well say that you are switching to a Kindle Keyboard Wi-Fi, and abandoning the 3G feature.
I did say I don't use a 3G Kindle, it's the principle of the thing! As per HarryT's suggestion above though, there may well be a fair enough reason for it, in that case I'll go back to loving Amazon to bits
Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #60
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Now confirmed by Amazon that this doesn't apply to the UK, but the limit will apply when you travel outside the UK - so same as the US then.

"Beginning on July 1st, 2012, web browsing on the Kindle Keyboard experimental web browser using a 3G connection will be limited to 50 MB a month outside of the UK. You will still have unlimited access to Wikipedia, Amazon, the Kindle store, and the ability to download content" and "I can confirm that there will not be any limit in the use of Kindle keyboard over 3G in UK for UK residents."

So, looks like HarryT was spot on with his thought that it's capped in countries where Amazon doesn't have a roaming arrangement with a local telecoms operator. I don't know which countries other than the US and the UK has agreements, anyone else?