Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Mangle - an improved manga reader for the Kindle

Hi, just knocked this together: its a manga reader for the kindle which hopefully avoids the bugs of the one built in to the Kindle 3 (e.g. screen refresh issues, it knows about multi-volume CBZs and so on).

Please see http://adq.livejournal.com/109911.html for more info!

Update: mangle 0.2 is out with lots of fixes.

Last edited by adq; 10-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
adq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Isn't it confusing to use the the exact same name as another app meant to format manga to be viewable on the Kindle? You have KIF, so perhaps KMV?
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
and next can be KSW - for playing swf games and applications (chess, sudoku, etc) ...

that would be just cool.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
KukMan
KukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with othersKukMan plays well with others

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi US
I respect you. Very well =)
KukMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
jozicka
Connoisseur
jozicka doesn't litterjozicka doesn't litter

Device: notebook
so I gave it a try - it works - you are a master.
I just had to unrar my cbr files and zip it to have cbz format. (zip archive)

Opening of 13MB file takes some time.

As I understand, there is no zoom option? (It would be lovely to have something like ComicRack - custom zoom and pressing space to move to next zoomed frame..)

Last edited by jozicka; 10-21-2010 at 01:10 PM.
jozicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Rinzwind
Connoisseur
Rinzwind began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G UK 3.03

Looks great. I am (again) going to try manga on my kindle and see if this works better than the default .png viewing *O*

And I think you should consider renaming it since Mangle is also the name of the convertion tool for manga's
Maybe "Mangle viewer"? Has a nice ring and says what the program does
Rinzwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
adq
Enthusiast
adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.adq has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Isn't it confusing to use the the exact same name as another app meant to format manga to be viewable on the Kindle? You have KIF, so perhaps KMV?
Oops! Sorry, I didn't know there was another app called mangle?! Is that the PDF-exporting one already on this forum? I'd assumed it was just called "convertmanga" from the name of the zip. I've not downloaded it y'see since I just wanted to be able to stick CBZs on my kindle.

If not, can you point me at the program you mean please?

In the meantime, I'd better think of a new name. Damn, I was dead pleased with mangle, but someone obviously beat me to it!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by adq View Post
Oops! Sorry, I didn't know there was another app called mangle?! Is that the PDF-exporting one already on this forum? I'd assumed it was just called "convertmanga" from the name of the zip. I've not downloaded it.

If not, can you point me at the program you mean please?
Yes, that one is called mangle too.
Here's is the projects page: http://foosoft.net/mangle/

Oh and I d/l'd elfenlied chapter 1 and it looks amazing. Here my post in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=23

Excellent stuff!

Oh and, after some thought, I myself do not really mind 2 programs being named mangle (it IS an exellent name). Context should be enough in determining what program is being discussed

But if you do I like "Mangle viewer"! And you are free to use it
Or "Manglevi"

Last edited by Rinzwind; 10-21-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Yes, that one is called mangle too.
Here's is the projects page: http://foosoft.net/mangle/

Oh and I d/l'd elfenlied chapter 1 and it looks amazing. Here my post in another thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=23

Excellent stuff!

Oh and, after some thought, I myself do not really mind 2 programs being named mangle (it IS an exellent name). Context should be enough in determining what program is being discussed

But if you do I like "Mangle viewer"! And you are free to use it
Or "Manglevi"

Thanks! I'll go for Mangle Viewer then! Definitely need to have some way to distinguish!

Actually, I'd better check the developer of (the original) mangle is ok with that first; just mailed him.

Last edited by adq; 10-21-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Rinzwind
Connoisseur

Could you setup a mail notifier for updates on mangle viewer?
Or are you going to update this topic? Regularly or @random?

/me wants updates :+

(My) Kindle is getting better and better
Old 10-21-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
Could you setup a mail notifier for updates on mangle viewer?
Or are you going to update this topic? Regularly or @random?

/me wants updates :+

(My) Kindle is getting better and better
I'll update the thread when I release a new one; I was just about to when I noticed the messages about the name conflicts.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #12
adq
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozicka View Post
so I gave it a try - it works - you are a master.
I just had to unrar my cbr files and zip it to have cbz format. (zip archive)

Opening of 13MB file takes some time.

As I understand, there is no zoom option? (It would be lovely to have something like ComicRack - custom zoom and pressing space to move to next zoomed frame..)
yeah, I definitely want to add zooming etc to it as well; I'll check out ComicRack to see how that works.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Improved handling of big zips would be a good feature, extract images on demand, or maybe pre extract next 5 pages or something.

That way at startup it only has to read the index and the first few images.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
kindleapple
kindleapple began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.16.2.1.1
.cbz files generated by Canti are displaying out of order when read with mangle viewer on my Kindle 2. They read correctly from the pictures folder and in Comix on my PC.

Last edited by kindleapple; 11-12-2010 at 04:07 PM.
kindleapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleapple View Post
.cbz files generated by Canti are displaying out of order when read with mangle viewer on my Kindle 2. They read correctly from the pictures folder and in Comix on my PC.
{irrelevant comment deleted}

Last edited by tomsem; 11-12-2010 at 07:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote