Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-01-2023, 01:29 PM   #1
differentj
differentj began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
Post Combine Audio and VTT/SRT

I’ve never created an ebook before but have been using MacWhisper AI to create transcripts of hour long audio files.

I came across a demo HTML page blow that loads in audio and a transcription where you can click anywhere in the transcription and the audio jumps to that.
https://umd-mith.github.io/webvtt-player/index.html

I’m not hosting websites and doing HTML on device doesn’t work easily on mobile. I’ve also looked into existing programs and Shortcuts app but the best solution I’ve come up with is an interactive eBook.

I have my audio files and I have the transcript in VTT and SRT file format.

Ideally I’d like to load the audio and sync the audio to the transcript. The transcript would either be raw or hide time stamps and could be read like a book but if I tap or click on a word I’d like the audio to start playing (or jump) to that point.

If anyone has a good video or instructions or a template for this I’d appreciate it as most of my searches are pulling up older posts of people attempting this when it wasn’t possible in Sigil or took workarounds.

I know basic HTML, and I can fumble through some CSS but I don’t know any JavaScript.

The demo page linked above I did recreate locally on my computer if that helps.
differentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You might want to explore epub3 media overlays.

http://kb.daisy.org/publishing/docs/.../overlays.html

https://www.w3.org/publishing/epub3/...aoverlays.html

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/SMIL
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2023, 03:19 PM   #3
differentj

Thank you for the reply!

I'm currently looking into Media Overlays and already stumbled across the w3 link but will look into the others as well.

I'm essentially looking for a cookie cutter approach where I can just drop in my audio file and VTT and just make personal interactive transcripts of hour long podcasts so there's no chapters or anything.

It seems a little intimidating but I'm diving in to see what I can come up with 😄
Old 04-01-2023, 04:37 PM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That is pretty much what the project you linked to does:

https://github.com/umd-mith/webvtt-player

Check out the section of the readme that talks about using the player *without* React and it has a link to the javascript you will need to link to.

So creating an epub3 with a single xhtml page that uses that javascript should be doable.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:54 PM   #5
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by differentj View Post

I'm essentially looking for a cookie cutter approach where I can just drop in my audio file and VTT and just make personal interactive transcripts of hour long podcasts so there's no chapters or anything.

It seems a little intimidating but I'm diving in to see what I can come up with 😄
.srt and .vtt are common formats for video-subtitles, and any decent subtitleeditor software should be able to do what you want (not the epub conversion, though, but mayby that's not even necessery), even if you're working with sound only instead of full-fledged movies (I have used this one https://www.nikse.dk/ in the past, mostly for subtitling some movies for my son – many, many years ago and in a galaxy far away (or so it seems sometimes), but I think that's Windows only.

AFAIR, it was somewhat timeconsuming making the sound and text timecoding fit together correctly, but then this wasn't an everyday task for me.

Anyway, just a suggestion

Regards,

Kim
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2023, 09:52 PM   #6
differentj

I wanted to say I spent around a lot of time on this but was able to get it to work and shockingly it works in iBooks and I can tap on the text and the audio skips to the right part.. Amazing. It looks awful and I'll have to look into how to span the text to other pages as right now it's showing as one tremendously long page and the formatting is horrid but it's working!!!!

Thank you!!
Old 04-05-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
differentj

Thank you! I did check out his site and looked at the software but it does seem to be windows only for the software and for the website while actually doing 90% of what I was looking for doesn't do audio outside of waveforms and for me that would be an additional hurdle I don't currently have but I do appreciate the suggestion!

Tags
audio, interactive books, srt, transcript, vtt