Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 09:01 PM   #1
Pearly
Pearly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Gen 8
Post New to Forum but not to Kindle

Hi from Down-under and a Happy New Year to all.

Two days ago I upgraded my old series 4 Kindle to a new Touch unit. I understand that the system is similar in most respects to the Paper White version.

I backed-up all my old 'Documents' folder from my old Kindle to my PC and connected my new Kindle.
Hello there was no Documents folder showing in Windows Explorer.
Okay, assuming I had to create one I decided to just drop my back-up copy to the Kindles root. Appeared to copy across fine BUT no Documents folder appears in my Explorer widow. Damn, I tried to create another folder in the misconception that the copy failed. Explorer rejected the attempt asking if I wanted to overwrite the existing Documents folder. The penny drops - it's a hidden folder but how can that be if I have Explorer is set to show hidden files.

This is how I solved the problem and hopefully this method might be useful to other Kindle users who experience the same problem of not seeing their Documents folder. This will work on a PC but I believe that something similar exists for OSX.

1. Note the Drive letter allocated to your Kindle when you connected it to your PC.
2. On the PC, press and hold the Windows key and simultaneously press the "R" key to open the Run dialog box.
3. Type in "CMD" not case sensitive.
4. After the ">" character, the cursor will be blinking. Type in the following (in my case my Kindle was "E" drive) -
attrib E:\documents <enter> (Replace the E: with your drive letter)
5. It should return something like this (as in my case) -
SHR E:\documents
6. At the cursor again, type the following -
attrib -s -h -r E:\documents
7. It should then return you back with the original entry that appeared after you first enter "CMD" E.g., in my case - C:\users\Pearly>

The "SHR" attributes in my case told me that the Documents folder I dropped to the Kindle was created by the Kindle as a 'System' 'Hidden' and 'Read only' folder. Why, I've no idea but one would assume that the Documents file was there all along and hidden. By dropping my back-up Documents folder, the Kindle just copied all the folders and files directly into its own hidden Documents folder.

To see whether your NEW Kindle has a hidden Documents folder, follow steps 2 and 3 above and then at the cursor enter -
dir E:\Documents
The result, if the hidden folder exists, should show you the folder and any contents. If nothing appears you need to create a "Documents" folder in Explorer in the Kindles root. Open the newly created folder and drop all you existing .mobi files and folders into it.

I hope that the above might prove useful to other users.

Cheers, Pearly.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:46 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The "Introduce Yourself" forum, as its name suggests, is for introducing yourself, telling people about your interests, etc. Please post technical information to the appropriate device forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Pearly
Pearly began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch Gen 8
Thanks, Harry. I always find these Forum sites utterly confusing to start with. I was automatically presented with the 'Introduce Yourself' page so that's where I started. I've pasted the text into the Forum 'Kindle' page. Again, thanks for setting me straight. Cheers, Pearly.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote