Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 07:49 PM   #1876
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Blossom,

I know you don't care for steampunk so Meljean Brook's Iron Seas series is out. But have you tried her The Guardian series? I haven't read it, but a number of my friends who read UF have and enjoyed it. FWIW, I think they are all romances with different couples and not UF following the same couple across books.
No I haven't but I don't read paranormal with biblical creatures such as angels or demons which is why the Immortal After Dark series is not for me or Katie McAllister's Dark Ones. Kerrerlyn Sparks was the exception and that's because she handle it with so much respect and they were minor characters.

I know Guild Hunters is about angels but they are not angels in the biblical sense. They are really ancient winged type creatures and her world doesn't follow a religious biblical pattern.

This is why I say I'm running out of paranormal series that I can read. Although I have found a few more since saying that, that don't include said creatures.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #1877
worktolive
Guru
worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.worktolive ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This is why I say I'm running out of paranormal series that I can read. Although I have found a few more since saying that, that don't include said creatures.
I'm not big on angel/demon storylines either. They usually end up getting religious and that's not for me.

Have you ever tried Kelley Armstrong's werewolf/witch Women of the Otherworld series? I've never read it, but I used to see it recommended all the time. I think it's more UF, but I know there's romance also.

Also, there's Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress and various spinoff series. Not sure if you've read those. It definitely straddles the line between UF and PNR, but has a strong central couple in each series. And if you haven't read it, Chapter 32 in the second book is a well-known bedroom scene.
worktolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #1878
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
Have you ever tried Kelley Armstrong's werewolf/witch Women of the Otherworld series? I've never read it, but I used to see it recommended all the time. I think it's more UF, but I know there's romance also.
For sure more UF, but it definitely does have romance as well. It does have demons/half-demons though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:45 AM   #1879
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worktolive View Post
I'm not big on angel/demon storylines either. They usually end up getting religious and that's not for me.

Also, there's Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress and various spinoff series. Not sure if you've read those. It definitely straddles the line between UF and PNR, but has a strong central couple in each series. And if you haven't read it, Chapter 32 in the second book is a well-known bedroom scene.
Yes Cat & Bones I've read and a few of the spinoffs. I read Bitten but did not like Clay so never read the sequel. I do think I gave it a high score though. I just need to start Mercy Thompson series after Psy-changlings. She's my avatar so I need to at least read the series. lol Oh and C.C. Hunter is another on my TBR and P.C. Cast. I still have some oldies too like Linda Lael Miller, Maggie Shayne, Lynsay Sands, Christine Freehan and Amanda Ashley. I guess I just want to find another epic world building series. I still need to read Illona Andrews and Jayne Castle as well.

Now I don't recall this bedroom scene. Hmm
Old 01-23-2019, 02:49 AM   #1880
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
For sure more UF, but it definitely does have romance as well. It does have demons/half-demons though.
Thanks Brian, definitely not for me. I did read Bitten though and it makes a good stand alone.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 AM   #1881
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
I know you don't like spaceship-type of SciFi either, but what about stories set on other planets?

Not sure if you read Krentz, but her World of Harmony series written as Jayne Castle or her Psynergy Inc series might work for you. Some have murder mysteries, but really they are more like light-hearted regency drawing room mysteries that happen to be set on another planet. There's no blood and gore. The later books in the World of Harmony series do crossover into her long-running Arcane series, but they can be read without having read any of her JAK or AQ titles.

The World of Harmony series is also known as Ghost Hunters series, but they aren't actually ghosts. They are energy traps left over from a long ago civilization. Just FYI.

I know you like paranormals set close to the "real world" but things aren't that different. The series has paranormal elements because humans have psychic powers, but they are also like historicals in many ways as there are marriages of convenience, etc. I am so not describing it well, but a lot of the tropes you like in historicals are in futuristics as well.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #1882
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I totally agree with @library addict. Her "ghosts" are energy "masses", sex is almost behind doors (a bit more but....) and a lot of regency tropes. I like them a lot and I miss them.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:43 AM   #1883
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
There is also Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter series if you haven't read those or Lisa Shearin has urban fantasy series, but I haven't read last titles, so I'm not sure how much romance is in there. I'm more fond of her Raine Benares series.
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #1884
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
These are the series I've been committed to for a while that haven't already been widely discussed.
  • G.A. Aikens - Dragon Kin - makes me laugh
  • Anne Bishop - The Others - just finished, very slow romantic arc and a bit gory at times but great world. Looking forward to next series in the world but will wait for a few more books so I can binge it again.
  • Kelley Armstrong - Women of Otherworld - Clay improves in later books, he's not even in some of them
  • Jennifer Ashley - Shifters Unbound
  • J.C. Daniels - Colbana Files - not far in series yet but liked first book
  • Shelly Laurenston - Pride Stories - makes me laugh
  • D.B. Reynolds - Vampires in America - nothing cute about these vamps but not too gory either.
  • Lynsay Sands - Argeneau - early books were better but started getting very repetitive after 15 or so books
  • Dianne Sylvan - Shadow World - need to pick this up again, haven't gotten very far yet
  • Rachel Vincent - WereCats (Finished) & WildCats (not started yet)
  • Eileen Wilks - World of the Lupi - A little behind but always enjoy these, very rich world
  • Marjorie Liu - Dirk & Steele - It's been a while but enjoyed it for awhile

Series I haven't started yet but are high on my list
  • Darynda Jones - Charley Davidson
  • Ilona Andrews - Kate Daniels, Hidden Legacy & Innkeeper Chronicles
  • Thea Harrison - Moonshadow
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:41 PM   #1885
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished the last KMM Fever book (High Voltage). Totally did not see THAT coming.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:56 AM   #1886
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. L.A. I have Jayne Castle on my list and if it's just for these dust bunnies I keep hearing about. It sounds fascinating.
I don't have a problem with ghosts, I've quite a few paranormals with just that. I mean I'm from the Ghostbusters generation. lol

I also have read Sherrilyn Kenyon first three books.

What do you guys think of what she is claiming about her husband? It's surreal. First her newsletter, then the media picked it up and she was on Inside Edition.
At first I thought she had issues but now the more I hear about the more I think she's been through alot and is lucky to be alive. I still don't know why she let him move in another woman. I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Apesmom thanks for the huge list! Several of those are on my TBR list. I'm currently redoing my TBR list as my tastes keep changing.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 01-25-2019, 01:00 AM   #1887
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Just finished the Thea Harrison - Moonshadow trilogy. 4/5. Excellent, especially the last book.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #1888
ShortNet
Connoisseur
ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (all flavors from 1 thru Oasis)
Thanks for the information on the Moonshadow trilogy. Maybe this will be what I need to actually finish the second book. I enjoyed Moonshadow but have started Spellbinder twice but put it down for lack of interest. If the third one is good it gives me a reason to keep going as I can't imagine starting the third without finishing the second.
ShortNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #1889
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Just for Now is free again at Kindle US and Kindle UK. (Fierce is not free anymore.) Links below are still good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Just For Now is the third in the Escape to New Zealand series by Rosalind James. It is free right now at Kindle US. I don't read much contemporary romance, but picked up one of the books in this series for free, loved it, and binge-read all of the rest of them that were available via KU, which is almost all. Since then, I've been keeping an eye out and picking up titles on sale/free when I can. Although these are a series, I think it only matters a little whether you read them in order.

link: https://www.amazon.com/Just-Now-Esca...dp/B00945K8GI/

Note: The first title in James' Not Quite a Billionaire series, Fierce, is still a long term freebie at Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/Fierce-Not-Qu...dp/B01161WVQM/

EDIT:
Just for Now and Fierce are also free at Kindle UK...
Just for Now: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Now-Es...dp/B00945K8GI/
Fierce: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fierce-Not-...dp/B01161WVQM/
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #1890
apesmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Just finished the Thea Harrison - Moonshadow trilogy. 4/5. Excellent, especially the last book.
Really looking forward to this one, loved Elder Races. But trying to exercise a little discipline before I start buying a new series. Want to get caught up on Guild Hunter, Psychangling, Vampires in America and World of the Lupi first.

Finished off Mercy Thompson/Alpha & Omega, The Others and Fever so at least I'm making good progress.

Last edited by apesmom; 01-25-2019 at 10:54 AM.