Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #31
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Thanks for your quick reply arspr !!! come here in France, I will pay you a beer !
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:20 AM   #32
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
It's identical to firmware upgrades, yes. The TGZ musst be renamed so it's .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz . It's named KoboRoot-disablesickel.tgz in the ZIP as otherwise if you have a hundred KoboRoot.tgz files you don't know what's what...
Thanks. I'll test it ASAP (I'm leaving home).

How do I uninstall it? (With a full firmware reinstallation maybe?)
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #33
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is no uninstall option, but it comes back with every regular firmware update.

So far there have been no reports from users that'd warrant an uninstall... if there is any issue with it I will make a new file
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:03 AM   #34
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
There is no uninstall option, but it comes back with every regular firmware update.

So far there have been no reports from users that'd warrant an uninstall... if there is any issue with it I will make a new file

I've just installed it and it's perfectly working. A totally MUST-HAVE if you are with 3.17.00.

The sad news are that pdf performance (at least in the conflictive ones) has dropped even further...
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #35
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I've never had my kobo crash in the library navigation/book processing areas. I wonder if Kobo could tweak sickel to only reboot if the device crashes while actively reading a book?
I've had mine lock up a few times while reading, but usually the lockup occurs for me when in the book list view or the category list view and I delete the book I just read. Maybe 1 time in 20 it will lock up and not recover from the delete.

I recently stuffed a flattened paperclip fragment between my kobo and my sleep cover. When I take off the sleep cover, I make sure the piece is stuck to the magnet so it doesn't fall out.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:41 AM   #36
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It should be named Kobo pulled a Firmware out of their Ass Release. And I think you really should move the 3.17.0 part of the spoiler out of the spoiler. It doesn't need to be there.
I didn't do the spoiler, Dr Drib did that. Without even a note to me about it.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #37
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The spoiler idea is interesting, but how about a separate spoiler for each version, that way you could just make it show the one you wanted.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #38
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I sideloaded this new firmware onto my Touch 905B today, and so far it's been a very positive experience:

1) First and foremost, it appears to have resolved the constant lock-ups I was getting on my Touch under 3.16 (even on the Home page or in the Settings screens, even after full resets and re-initialisation). It had made me wonder if the hardware was on the way out, but I thought it was probably f/w-related, because after a paperclip-reset my Settings (such as language, wi-fi, date/time and page numbering and refresh) would always be reset to defaults. Customer Care declined to help me troubleshoot it because the device is now out of warranty, even though the problems only occur under the 3.16 firmware that Kobo actually wrote for this device. (Is there any Touch that *is* still in warranty?!) So I did another factory reset (to 1.9.1), sideloaded 2.6.1, and then sideloaded 3.17.0 -- and today I have been through several books, some very formatting- and image-heavy, without a single lock-up. Touch wood.

2) I'm finding UI responses such as page turns significantly faster than under 3.16. Selecting a word/phrase, for highlighting or dictionary check, seems to be somewhat slower.

3) The buglet that saw last lines in a chapter file being pushed over to a new screen *appears* to have been resolved. (Huzzah!) At least, it's not happening now for me on the books I checked. (If it makes a difference, I edit my epubs to set Widows/Orphans to zero.)

So far, this release seems like an improvement.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #39
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Has the pinch-to-zoom bug in Aura FW 3.15 been resolved?

Last edited by melovesflying; 08-13-2015 at 10:22 AM.
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #40
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
3.17.0 is a nightmare

Wow, updating to 3.17.0 from 3.15.0 is a great way to ruin one's Thursday.

Two devices so far, AuraHD and AuraH2O, had the "Critical Error. Factory Reset your eReader" message.

I suspect it is my 128gig card and the very large database it creates. After the factory rest and re-updating to 3.17.0 it has to re-catalog everything, which will take about 11 hours on the AuraHD, 10 hours on the H2O.

Now to try and update the Glo (you would think I would learn), but this device has only a 64gig card, so there is hope

Shunter

ps. you suck Kobo
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #41
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Don't blame Kobo. Do the specs for your devices state that they support 64gb or 128gb cards? I don't think they do. So perhaps you shouldn't expect the cards to work perfectly in your devices. The firmware was not designed with them in mind.

I have updated and patched two Kobos to 3.17.0. No problems whatsoever. No crashing, no freezing, no rebooting. I haven't changed out cards in either one.

I could try my Glo, which has a changed out internal card, of 16gb. I don't anticipate any errors, even so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post

Two devices so far, AuraHD and AuraH2O, had the "Critical Error. Factory Reset your eReader" message.

I suspect it is my 128gig card and the very large database it creates. After the factory rest and re-updating to 3.17.0 it has to re-catalog everything, which will take about 11 hours on the AuraHD, 10 hours on the H2O.

Now to try and update the Glo (you would think I would learn), but this device has only a 64gig card, so there is hope

Shunter

ps. you suck Kobo
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
So why not take a backup before starting the upgrade?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #43
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHunter101 View Post

Shunter

ps. you suck Kobo
Perhaps if you limited yourself to the 32GB uSD cards mentioned in the device specifications? So far, I've managed to update 5 devices without issue and one Glo where I removed the 3.16.10 firmware by factory resetting before updating. The device with the most storage was an Aura HD with an internal 32GB uSD card and an external 32GB uSD card. On that one, I did pull a backup of the database just in case but it went without issue. Even allowing for a rather large average of 2MB per ebook, 32GB gives me the capability of having ~16,000 ebooks on a card. Hmmmm.... 16,000 at 75 minutes average reading time per book... reading 7.5 hours per day.... about 7 years with no time off for bleeding eyes.

As I see it, a PEBKAC error.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #44
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
... at 75 minutes average reading time per book... reading 7.5 hours per day....
You can read 6 books a day?! that's fast. Reading must be a very expensive hobby for you.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #45
SHunter101
Connoisseur
SHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel isSHunter101 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kobo AuraH2O, Glo, AuraHD, JBC2
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Don't blame Kobo. Do the specs for your devices state that they support 64gb or 128gb cards?
No, not assigning any blame to Kobo. To me yes. My choice for using the 128gig card!! In my line of work, I have a large number of reference books which are great to read on the ereader, when needed. They are large pdfs and that warrants the 128gig card. These files worked great on 3.15 and hopefully soon with 3.17. It's great when a 'PEBKAC' can solve a problem - disable sickle and it is working! No more reboots.

Shunter

Thank you frostschutz for the sickle remover

Last edited by SHunter101; 08-13-2015 at 02:05 PM.
SHunter101 is offline   Reply With Quote