Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What printed Book do you want as an ebook?

I was thinking about this thread at length because I'm a very big fan of Latin American Literature, specifically what's known as the Boom period of the 60s and 70s.

For example, this would include Gabriel García Márquez, Julio Cortázar and Mario Vargas Llosa among others.

Their work of this time is characterized by experimentation with narrative techniques, combined with an exuberance of political historicism and imagination. This was a time when Magical Realism was a catch-all phrase that many Latin American writers were lumped into.

A book I would really like to see is Vargas Llosa's Conversation in the Cathedral. This work looks at power structures in Peru and is a chilling glimpse into that country's politics of the 1950s. Many critics consider this Vargas Llossa's masterpiece. It's not an easily accessible work to read, due in part to the author's way of shifting back and forth in Time as he develops and explores his narrative.

I've written to Sony asking for Vargas Llosa's work to be made available. He's an important writer, one who may win next year's Nobel Prize in Literature. (These writers are also rumored "favorites": Joyce Carol Oates, Haruki Murakami, and Carlos Fuentes.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-02-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: a bit better title
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I don't know how much say Sony has in what gets ebooked, they just sell it once a publisher does an ebook. You probably want to bug the publisher which is Harper Collins. I've had positive results/responses when I've contacted them before, unlike most publishers who just ignore emails & don't reply at all.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-02-2008 at 07:51 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Good idea; I've written Sony as well about authors I'd like to see. I'm also a fan of Gabriel García Márquez.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ah, well, the one book I really want as an ebook at the moment is Clive James's's's's Cultural Amnesia: Notes in the Margin of My Time, fully indexed. It's a fascinating and wonderfully-written book (in a very Clive James style), and, best of all, the cause of much further reading.

I wish, I wish, I wish...

Cheers,
Marc (surprised that multimedia-Clive hasn't pushed off into the ebook-stream)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Ah, well, the one book I really want as an ebook at the moment is Clive James's's's's Cultural Amnesia: Notes in the Margin of My Time, fully indexed. It's a fascinating and wonderfully-written book (in a very Clive James style), and, best of all, the cause of much further reading.

I wish, I wish, I wish...

Cheers,
Marc (surprised that multimedia-Clive hasn't pushed off into the ebook-stream)

I don't know about indexed, but it is out as an ebook (& DRM free).
http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/04...r-clive-james/
http://www.panmacmillan.com/titles/d...&bookID=410307
Advert
Old 05-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
O Brian! My Brian! Mate, I could kiss you!

When I was looking for it some months ago, even amongst the nether regions and back alleys, I could find naught and gave up, defeated.

It appears I have unfairly maligned the wonderful Clive James (I hope he can forgive me - if not, bugger 'im ). I love you Clive. Come home soon!

Cheers, with enormous shmooshy kisses and bearhugs to Brian,
Marc
Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Lots of old books I'd like in ebook format but they likely never will be, Frederick Manfred books for one
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

As an addendum, Brian, I have purchased the ebook from Pan Macmillan. It has a contents section to jump to the appropriate chapter, but also its index in the back is linked to the relevant text/"page". For me, perfection.

Now I am just looking for a local supplier of the CD Audio Book (which I have noted is narrated by Clive - always a plus as he has, in my opinion, a superb voice for narration).

Cheers, mate. Your blood's worth bottling.

Marc
Old 05-03-2008, 06:52 AM   #9
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
Lots of old books I'd like in ebook format but they likely never will be, Frederick Manfred books for one
You could always scan them in yourself. But that involves a lot of effort!

I'd like 'Prophet of Innovation', 'Discover Your Inner Economist', 'Quantum Mechanics and Experience' and 'The Quantum Quark' in eBook format. I have all of these books as pBooks but I far prefer reading on my Sony Reader.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Any fantasy?

Steven Erikson, Robert Jordan, Kate Elliott, J.R.R. Tolkien ...just to name a few.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Tolkein

I bought Lord of The Rings from PocketGear. They sell games for pocketpcs bu also have an ebook section. Since I thought they were an O.K. firm I bought the books without asking questions. Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't know how much say Sony has in what gets ebooked, they just sell it once a publisher does an ebook.
Brian, if that were the case, wouldn't Sony have all the same ebooks for sale that Amazon does? If an author and publisher made the decision to sell the book in ebook format at Amazon, wouldn't it make sense to sell it at Sony? I'm just trying to understand why there is such a large difference between these two vendors.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Any fantasy?

Steven Erikson, Robert Jordan, Kate Elliott, J.R.R. Tolkien ...just to name a few.
Terry Goodkind ..... I don't want to have to buy the last in the series as a p-book !!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I bought Lord of The Rings from PocketGear. They sell games for pocketpcs bu also have an ebook section. Since I thought they were an O.K. firm I bought the books without asking questions. Laine
What format did you buy?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Brian, if that were the case, wouldn't Sony have all the same ebooks for sale that Amazon does? If an author and publisher made the decision to sell the book in ebook format at Amazon, wouldn't it make sense to sell it at Sony? I'm just trying to understand why there is such a large difference between these two vendors.
I think it's all in who's the distributor. Amazon has Mobipocket & it's distro setup to draw on. Many vendors use someplace like LightningSource to get their ebooks from & it appears that they don't have the catalog that Mobi does. Where the breakdown is I'm not sure. I don't know if Sony acts as it's own distro for files or if they go through someone. Sony probably chooses to some extent what to carry from what's available, but what I was saying is if the publisher doesn't offer it as an ebook in any format I don't know how much Sony can do about it. At that point it's in the hands of the publisher/author/agents.