Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Dizionario Dictionary Italiano Inglese. PDF

Hi!

I just finished my personal version(s) of an "Italian-to-English" Dictionary. (EDIT1: Two different fonts used.)

EDIT2: There are also two versions "English-to-Italian" further down: (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1197408251)

I got the original text files from www.freedict.com, converted it to html, formatted/added items, imported it into Acrobat 5 (not: Reader), made some smaller changes and saved it as PDF.

The file is meant for my SONY PRS500. Size is according. (EDIT3: Engl.>Ital. has page numbers.)
Navigation of the 10,000-plus words is by jumping to

a) letters (A,B,C... - rare letters moved to end)
b) list of starting-words, 3 "pages" apart (a,aiuto,amore,auto...) => max. 3 page turns per word (IF contained)

BUT it is a normal PDF, so you can read it like any other...

IMPORTANT: I used freedicts ORIGINAL text list -- which means all THEIR faults (e.g. some doublets etc.) are in it AS IS.

If anybody is intersted in this (so far very personal) projects, has any questions or remarks (have pity on me!) I'll be glad to discuss 'em.

Hope it's of use to someone "out" there!

Clemens

Last edited by Clemenseken; 12-14-2007 at 03:22 AM. Reason: (Give a better overview of different versions)
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...

Sorry - first upload

Hi! This version uses a font like Times.
The Upload in my next reply contains the font "Verdana" which I find to be better readable on my Sony Reader ...

Sorry.

Edit: I herewith withdraw my previously attached PDF dictionary file ("fdItaEng_Dizionario.pdf").

I had asked for feedback on their usability but only got posts from exactly *T*W*O* members - as compared to over 1,400 downloads...

(I don't mind anybody else placing any of these PDFs in a new thread. But I won't engage in this project any more.)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 03-11-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Ab solutely NO FEEDBACK on dictionary project.
Advert
Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #3
Clemenseken
eWriter

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ... (Dizionario Italiano in Verdana / type face)

Just convinced my acrobat to include Verdana.
(I think "her" much better readable on eink...)

Sorry.

Edit: I herewith withdraw my previously attached PDF dictionary file ("Dizio_Italnglese.pdf").

I had asked for feedback on their usability but only got posts from exactly *T*W*O* members - as compared to over 1,400 downloads...

(I don't mind anybody else placing any of these PDFs in a new thread. But I won't engage in this project any more.)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 03-11-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...
Old 12-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #4
Clemenseken
eWriter

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ... (Dizionario Dictionary Inglese > Italiano)

Salve!

Non parlo Italiano molto bene, ma eccoli:
una versione del dizionario mio per gli Italiani...

Well. I hope someone can use this dictionary.
I improved the navigation (relative to the Italian>English version) to use fewer cursor moves.
My current estimation is ZERO moves of the small cursor to arrive at "a" (uno) up to an average of 10 moves (NOT page turns - which are very slow).
This average can be nearly halved if you move your cursor *UP* initially to get to items in the lower half of any screen...

I'd be grateful for any remarks on usability!
Clemens

(P.s.: further down this page https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1197408251 is a slightly improved version. Words are listed below each other and got page numbers attached.)

Sorry - mi dispiace...

Edit: I herewith withdraw my previously attached PDF dictionary file ("Dizio_IngItaliano3.pdf").

Last edited by Clemenseken; 03-11-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #5
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
This is very useful; I will use it on my Cybook which is the same size as the Sony Reader. I am supposed to get i back from Bookeen on Monday where it is actually for reparation.
Meanwhile, would it be possible to do a similar job for an Italian-German dictionary by using this source? http:http://infoportal-deutschland.a...Italienisch///
Just a question.
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #6
Clemenseken
eWriter

Dizionario Italienisch-Deutsch

Hello Maximilian,

actually I've been looking for a suitable Italienisch-Deutsch dictionary file.

I looked into your recommended website. Quite impressive.

I also mailed to the site owner to ask about copyright issues - otherwise I would not be able to distribute a selfmade PDF file in this forum.

But I will create an Italienisch-deutsches Wörterbuch auf jeden fall, denn das würde mir bei schwierigeren/selteneren Vokabeln selbst auch besser helfen!

An Freunde/gute Bekannte dürfte ich das aber zum Eigengebrauch aber wohl schon weitergeben...

Viele Grüße, Clemens

P.s.: the German text above means that I am allowed to pass on a privately created dictionary to close friends even if copyrights may be an issue - according to German law.
(It is legal to make up to seven copies of music and give 'em to friends. But: no money may be received. These friends again have the right to pass this music to seven of THEIR friends - without financial gain! And so on... Nice, isn't it?!?)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 12-09-2007 at 07:15 AM. Reason: In order to prevent any "but-this-is-illegal" comments from non-Germans...
Old 12-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #7
lindemaximilian

Hello Clemens,
I have now my Gen3 back and installed your dictionary. It fits superbly well on the screen. However, the present version of my Cybook does not support hyperlinks in PDF. Hence, I cannot navigate within the dictionary by using the hyperlinked words of your index. I can only move to specific pages. I would thus need for each of your indexed words the corresponding page number. On the computer it is of course quite easy to find these page numbers but I cannot go into your document to annotate it. Any solution?
Tanti saluti
Peter
Old 12-10-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
Clemenseken
eWriter

Hi Peter!

Can you tell me what "exactly" would help you BEST?

I am anyway planning to re-format the starting pages (with letters/words) because I noticed that it would be more intuitive to list the "letter-words" below each other - as I have to move the minute "joystick" of the Sony PRS500 UP and DOWN to reach other hyperlinks (=words).

As I can easily see in Acrobat where these links point to I might as well append page numbers (in brackets, e.g.).

But please tell me, what would be best for YOU!

Salve da Francoforte! Ciao, Clemens
Old 12-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #9
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
As I can easily see in Acrobat where these links point to I might as well append page numbers (in brackets, e.g.)
This is exactly what I would need.

Ciao Peter
Old 12-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Clemenseken
eWriter

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ..(Dizionario Dizio_IngItaliano4.pdf with page numbers)

Hi Peter,

here is a version with page numbers attached (to links).
How do you normally navigate on your Gen3 reader?
Is it only in PDFs that you cannot hyperjump? (and what do you do instead...)
If so, in what formats CAN you jump?
I know i might find oiut answers in this forum, but it might be easier for you to just write down two sentences for me - thanks!

(I'm still interested in feedback from you and others!)

Have a nice evening/day, Clemens

Sorry.

Edit: I herewith withdraw my previously attached PDF dictionary file ("Dizio_IngItaliano4.pdf").

Last edited by Clemenseken; 03-11-2008 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Is it only in PDFs that you cannot hyperjump? (and what do you do instead...)
Hi Clemens,
Yes, its only in PDF that one cannot jump to hyperlinks. This may change in the future but at present it holds. One can only use page turns or input page numbers with a little matrix that pops up and than move to the selected page. It is quite cumbersome to tab in the numbers on the matrix but its the only method to navigate within a PDF document.

Your dictionary works quite well know. However, I find the first 4 pages not particularly useful. It would be easier to start immediately with the letter A (after a cover page of course), then tap through page by page to the letter one is looking for.
Even better would be - if at all possible - to have the maximum of letters with indexed words on the first pages in very small print, i.e. to have all indexed words with page number for the letters A to D on the first page, E to L on the second page, etc.
However, these wishes are based on what would be optimal for the Gen 3 which might not be the best way to use the dictionary on your device.

Will you also produce the Italian/English version with page numbers?

Kind regards

Peter
Old 12-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Clemenseken
eWriter

Hi Peter,

I might do the Italian/English version later with page numbers, but that's not top priority for me (and apart from you I didn't get any feedback yet).

Those first 4 pages actually are absolutely necessary if you are forced to move by hyperlinks. Each "step" halves the page turns later on...
But I might do a special Peter-version and skip these 4 at the beginning. Putting ALL 200+ word-links on one page would take a VERY small font, wouldn't it? Though, letters A-to-Z could be fitted on page one as kind of "Contents" - so you would know where you find all As, Bs etc. Would that help?

Can you tell me in what formats you can navigate with hyperlinks on Gen3?
Which ones can you use at all, and which ones work best?
(It make sense to do a dictionary that Gen3 people can hyperjump with...)

I'll see to do this no-page-4-version for you tomorrow.

Looking forward to your (and others') feedback,

Clemens
Old 12-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #13
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Can you tell me in what formats you can navigate with hyperlinks on Gen3?
Mobi/PRC is the short answer.
Cheers Peter
Old 12-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
Clemenseken
eWriter

Angry Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ... (Special edition ? ... for Peter)

Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...

Last edited by Clemenseken; 03-11-2008 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Withdrawal of dictionary PDFs ...
Old 12-15-2007, 04:59 AM   #15
lindemaximilian

Quote:
Hello Peter,

this morning I threw out "your" first 4 pages. Then I collected some letters ESPECIALLY for your request...

This attached version is pre-gamma I'd say in its navigational capacities - but maybe what you need...
Please tellme if it's of any use to you.

Have a nice evening, Clemens

Oh dear; you have gone into all this trouble for me but as you have thrown out the first 4 pages the listed page numbers do no longer correspond to those of the actual document. One has to substract 4 pages to find the indexed word. Please leave it as it is, I will use it by mentally shifting 4 pages backward.
Thank you for all your efforts.
Peter