Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
Cybook Recieved, First Thoughts

Ater much anticipation, I finally received my Cybook yesterday.

I've got to say i'm very impressed with the overall product. The screen clarity is excellent and really is as easy to read as paper. The operation is straight forward and the firmware seems to do it's job quite well.

The page change flash is quite strange to me but I think I will soon get used to that, what I find a bit annoying is the time it takes between pressing the button and changing the page, sometimes the page change is immediate, and this is perfect for reading. Sometimes the page change happens, but it seems to need to think about it first, with the whole change taking about twice as long as normal, this is a bit annoying, and finally there is the page change that doesn't happen. I've pressed the button, the LED lights up briefly so I know its accepted the input, then nothing happens.

There was a few things which I found dissapointing. I am a very fast reader and in an effort to get more text on each page I found myself trying to read with an uncomfortably small font size. I noticed in the menu there is options to remove the header and pageometer. I removed these expecting to get an extra couple of lines on each page, unfortunatley the page size doesn't change. In a similar vein, an option to set the size of the borders would be great. There is enough room on each page for the ammount of text I wish, It's just not utilized at the moment.

I did encounter one serious problem with bookmarks, they all dissapeared and I couldn't create any new ones. Pressing the reset button seemed to fix this but my bookmarks never came back. Not a problem if it was a one off, a big problem if this is going to happen often, considering how difficult it is to navigate to a point somewhere in the middle of a book. Has anybody else encountered this?

Overall though, if someone was to offer me the full price I paid for it in cash, I'd tell them to get in line with everyone else cos this is a keeper
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyad2000 View Post
what I find a bit annoying is the time it takes between pressing the button and changing the page, sometimes the page change is immediate, and this is perfect for reading. Sometimes the page change happens, but it seems to need to think about it first, with the whole change taking about twice as long as normal, this is a bit annoying, and finally there is the page change that doesn't happen. I've pressed the button, the LED lights up briefly so I know its accepted the input, then nothing happens.
Hmm... that sounds like a bug to me. On my Sony I have gotten used to the page turn delay and generally know when I get near the end of the screen when to press the next page button so it will flash and turn just as I get to the last word on the page.

But, if the CyBook page turns happen at different speeds I don't see how you can do this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Missing the occasional button press is a well-known bug. We can hope that the forthcoming firmware update will fix it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
But this was not missing the button press. I have also observed that the time varies. It seems like sometimes it has to wake up and that this take time.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did encounter one serious problem with bookmarks, they all dissapeared and I couldn't create any new ones. Pressing the reset button seemed to fix this but my bookmarks never came back. Not a problem if it was a one off, a big problem if this is going to happen often, considering how difficult it is to navigate to a point somewhere in the middle of a book. Has anybody else encountered this?
Are your books on an SD card? If so, try using a different card. There appear to be certain cards that the Gen3 just isn't happy with at all, and losing bookmarks is the "classic" symptom. Once you have a card that works, it works perfectly.
Advert
Old 03-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But this was not missing the button press. I have also observed that the time varies. It seems like sometimes it has to wake up and that this take time.
Thats exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are your books on an SD card? If so, try using a different card. There appear to be certain cards that the Gen3 just isn't happy with at all, and losing bookmarks is the "classic" symptom. Once you have a card that works, it works perfectly.
The SD card is an Elite PRO and came with the Cybook. I did notice that whe I first installed it the folders were not readable on my PC. Once I formatted it it seemed fine. If it occurs again i'll try another card.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Thanks - I misread it. I wonder if the "missed button press" bug was fixed in 538? I don't recall whether or not I've seen it since upgrading. Have you?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
There is enough room on each page for the ammount of text I wish, It's just not utilized at the moment.
I wish there was a screenshot (sreen bitmap dump) program for the Cybook, since that would allow non-owners to get a clearer picture of which device wins the "maximum text per page" race. For example, here are my screenshots of the Kindle in reading mode.

In any case, based on the photo's I have seen, the Cybook uses a large line spacing (as does the Kindle and the iLiad's MobiPocket Reader) and this is typically more important than the margin size in reducing the per page content. On the Cybook, line spacing might be effected by the font used (and it might be possible to modify a font to reduce the line spacing - since you know it will only be used in this one application). Also, some fonts are less wide (more characters per line) than others.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Gen3 uses the line spacing that's specified in the Mobi book; it doesn't overwrite it or (currently) provide options for changing it. I think it's pretty reasonable myself.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But from what I have read, one of the sometimes troubles with SD cards is the SD card supplied with the Gen3 by Bookeen. Why would they supply an SD cared that isn't 100% reliable in all cases with the Gen3?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But from what I have read, one of the sometimes troubles with SD cards is the SD card supplied with the Gen3 by Bookeen. Why would they supply an SD cared that isn't 100% reliable in all cases with the Gen3?
Who knows? They seem to supply people with all sorts of different cards. The one they sent me works perfectly.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #12
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Try turning off the "Justified Text" in the "Layout" menu and see if that helps. I thought it made my page turn speed more consistent but it might have been my imagination.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #13
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The Gen3 uses the line spacing that's specified in the Mobi book;
Do you have an example of a MOBI book with an explicitly specified line spacing? On the iLiad and the Kindle, all books seem to have the same spacing - which I assumed was set by the Reader software.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks - I misread it. I wonder if the "missed button press" bug was fixed in 538? I don't recall whether or not I've seen it since upgrading. Have you?
I do not remember it. But now that you mention it is is very possible that missed button press had been replaced with long pauses sometimes since I do not remember these long pauses from the previous firmware.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Do you have an example of a MOBI book with an explicitly specified line spacing? On the iLiad and the Kindle, all books seem to have the same spacing - which I assumed was set by the Reader software.
I think it is always the same on the Cybook also. And I really appreciate that the line spacing is as it is since it makes it easier to read.