Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #1681
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewns View Post
now there remains a 'sticky' entry in my library; how can it be removed
Uninstall it the regular way and then delete the KUAL.kual file living under the /documents directory.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #1682
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
My humble contribution may be limited to identifying the problem. I will look into it but I am not sure that I can fix it.
The command in the script will be the same as on the command line -
if file exists rm the file.
I haven't looked, but there should be example if statements in there you can use as a guide.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #1683
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Uninstall it the regular way and then delete the KUAL.kual file living under the /documents directory.
No, this is not right. After uninstall in the regular way, the KUAL.kual file is already dead, but the "thing" is still there, not possible to be removed. Even after a reboot, this is still there.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #1684
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The command in the script will be the same as on the command line -
if file exists rm the file.
I haven't looked, but there should be example if statements in there you can use as a guide.
I have extracted Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin using kindletool. KUAL Booklet uninstaller, the uninstall.sh script, has the proper command on line 26:

`rm -f "/mnt/us/documents/KUAL.kual"`

I can't see why it doesn't. Besides, line 16 reads as follows:

`rm -f "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"`

Having checked out the mentioned directory, I have confirmed that the KUALBooklet.jar file too is still there after the uninstall.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #1685
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfpop View Post
No, this is not right. After uninstall in the regular way, the KUAL.kual file is already dead, but the "thing" is still there, not possible to be removed. Even after a reboot, this is still there.
Exactly. Just delete the KUAL.kual file manually. That is what I did to get rid of the KUAL (DOC) entry in the library.

Last edited by oumlaut; 11-21-2016 at 05:52 PM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #1686
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Quote:
Exactly. Just delete the KUAL.kual file manually. That is what I did to get rid of the KUAL (DOC) entry in the library.
I mean, the KUAL.kual file is already deleted, but the entry is active. Strange.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM   #1687
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
I mean, the KUAL.kual file is already deleted, but the entry is active. Strange.
In my experience, the uninstall script doesn't remove it. It was still in there as a 0 B file.

Other than /mnt/us/documents/KUAL.kual, /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar should be removed as well by the script. The second is a read-only directory so unlike KUAL.kual, KUALBooklet.jar cannot be deleted manually w/o changing permissions.

Last edited by oumlaut; 11-21-2016 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #1688
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have extracted Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin using kindletool. KUAL Booklet uninstaller, the uninstall.sh script, has the proper command on line 26:

`rm -f "/mnt/us/documents/KUAL.kual"`

I can't see why it doesn't. Besides, line 16 reads as follows:

`rm -f "/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar"`

Having checked out the mentioned directory, I have confirmed that the KUALBooklet.jar file too is still there after the uninstall.
/mnt/us/documents/ should be read/write and it is FAT-32 so it does not support fancy acls like immutable.

/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet is most likely read-only.
The script would have to change the file system option to rw if that is so.
Which means the script must be running as user: 'root'
Does the script switch user to the user: 'root' ?

AND
Do you have MKK installed?
It was (should have been) installed in Step #6 of the jailbreak instructions.
If not, or if unsure, install it again - it will do no harm if it was previously installed.

That package also installs the utility used by our add-in packages to gain 'root' permissions.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:47 PM   #1689
hfpop
Addict

Step 6 is rejected when disconnecting USB by last firmware 5.8.5.0.2 for KV.

On 5.8.5.0.2 there are more things going wrong:

- USB networking does not work anymore
- Kual uninstall does not remove the entry, but removes the file

"Does not" should be read as "I cannot make it to".

Last edited by hfpop; 11-21-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:19 PM   #1690
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Step 6 is rejected when disconnecting USB by last firmware 5.8.5.0.2 for KV.

- USB networking does not work anymore

You MUST use MrPI to install update_*.bin name format packages with customer firmware.
At the point of Step #6 instructions, you are still running FACTORY firmware.

You are missing the utilities installed during Step #6.
Use MrPI to install the hotfix package.

Hey!
Behavior of Factory Firmware != Behavior of Customer Firmware.
That is the entire basis of the current jail break procedure, just for those who missed the point (it is not the downgrade in firmware version number, it is the change from Customer -> Factory firmware that enables the process).

Last edited by knc1; 11-21-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #1691
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

hfpop,

Quote:
Two steps to get rid of the entry in the Kindle Library on KV, FW 5.8.5.0.2.

1. Reinstall the booklet version and manually delete the application file, i.e. /mnt/us/documents/KUAL.kual.

2. Then run Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin to uninstall and deregister the booklet, i.e. /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/KUALBooklet.jar and cleanup. For the second step, you will need the kindlet version, i.e. KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #1692
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
/mnt/us/documents/ should be read/write.
Correct.

Quote:
/opt/amazon/ebook/booklet is most likely read-only.
Yes, it is read-only.

Quote:
ANDDo you have MKK installed?
Yes, I have it installed. JB survived as expected. Just renewed my usbnet installation for SSH, which is what I basically use the JB for.

I reinstalled the booklet and uninstalled it. See the outputs below from /mnt/us/extensions/MRInstaller/log/mrinstaller.log:

Code:

[2016-11-22 @ 18:01:33 +0300] :: 
[MRPI r13359] - Beginning the processing of package
'Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin' (KUALBooklet v2.7 I) . . .

--
Running 'install.sh' for 'KUALBooklet v2.7 I' 
(Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin) 
@ Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:01:34 +0300

system: I ota_script:install::installing booklet
system: I ota_script:install::registering booklet
system: I ota_script:install::creating application
system: I ota_script:install::cleaning up
system: I ota_script:install::done

Success! :)

[2016-11-22 @ 18:09:29 +0300] :: [MRPI r13359] - 
Beginning the processing of package 
'Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin' (KUALBooklet v2.7 U) . . .

--
Running 'uninstall.sh' for 'KUALBooklet v2.7 U' 
(Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin) 
@ Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:09:29 +0300

system: I ota_script:uninstall::uninstalling booklet
system: I ota_script:uninstall::deregistering booklet
system: I ota_script:uninstall::removing application
system: I ota_script:uninstall::cleaning up
system: I ota_script:uninstall::done

Success! :)
I have confirmed that the uninstall script removes the application file and the booklet but leaves the KUAL entry in the Kindle library.

For the only way to get rid of the KUAL entry, see #1691.

I am attaching the related scripts contained in Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin and Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_uninstall.bin for those who might wish to look into the problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KUALBooklet_v2.7_Scripts.zip (1.3 KB, 285 views)

Last edited by oumlaut; 11-22-2016 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Correction.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #1693
knc1
Going Viral

Thanks.
That will give someone a start.

(There is no way in the world I can do support, I am lucky to have time to answer questions.)
Old 11-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #1694
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Thanks.
That will give someone a start.
The problem is not FW 5.8.5.0.2 specific. Just gave it a try on PW, FW 5.6.1.1. Uninstall script removes the booklet and the application file but not the KUAL entry in the library. Now I have a very beautiful Application Error box on my PW when I try to call KUAL booklet.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #1695
hfpop
Addict

Quote:
hfpop,
Two steps to get rid of the entry in the Kindle Library on KV, FW 5.8.5.0.2.
Right. Nice trick. Worked brilliantly. Thanks a lot indeed.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified