Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
StickMaker
Connoisseur
StickMaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
print a list of my books?

Hi, no doubt this will show that I just got my Kindle. Ok; I did.

Wanted to make a text file, list, of all the books in my K3. Used "Directory Printer" (in Win 7) and that made a txt file in Notepad. Then I had to clean it up by removing the duplicates for every book, the date, time, ".pdf" and "asi" ".mobi" etc etc. LOTTA work!

There probably is a very quick, simple, neat, clean way, right?
StickMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
From the command prompt in windows type "dir /b *.azw" or *.mobi whichever format you might have..
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
StickMaker
Connoisseur

OUCH! I did that, Ron, and it shut my computer OFF without a chance to save anything. And, of course, I have numerous file formats. So, I'll stick with my (slow) way of doing it. After I got the list, I used another free tool to alphabetize the entire list.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Sorry to hear that, I just ran the command on my kindle with 1,700 books on it and it worked fine. Who knows maybe it chocked on an odd file name or something...

again sorry it crashed you
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I'm on XP, but 'dir /B *.mobi' or 'dir /b *.mobi' works fine from the Windows command-line for me. Make sure you are on the Windows command-line, not using the "Run" menu thing.

Make sure you cd into the directory that you want to list, first. E.g. "cd /D f:\documents"

On XP, it is under Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
"dir /b *.azw" or *.mobi

Should work. But maybe it depends on where you are running command from?

You should change to your kindle "drive" and then to the document folder.

So if you get the command prompt

c:\windows

You'd want to change to the kindle - mine is Drive I:

so enter

I: (enter key)

at the command prompt.

Then

cd documents (enter key)

Then

dir /s *.azw > holdbooks.txt (enter key)

where the > redirects the output into the file holdbooks.txt

/s means go down the folders if you have subfolders like Mystery under documents.

(hopefully, I got most of it right but it still should not reboot the computer)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
StickMaker
Connoisseur

NOT blaming you, Ron; things happen. I DO appreciate all attempts to help this old man.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
StickMaker
Connoisseur

My way, though slow, works and I want all the .mobi, .pdf, etc etc files listed, but not the duplications and for some (books) there are as many as 4 different formats listed; just want the one with the largest file size. And I want the file sizes too; but none of the other stuff. Got it done though. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #9
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
If you use Calibre you don't have to do anything but select the "Convert Books" menu then select "create a catalog of the books in your calibre library". You can select the fields to include, the format of the catalog, and the destination directory.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Hey, Mark, THAT sounds good; I do have Calibre installed. Will try that later today. Just one quickie: how can I see if a book I've downloaded has DRM protection?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
click on view in Calibre and if it can't open it, then it has DRM.

But if you're using Calibre then I highly suggest you just install the plug-ins to get rid of the DRM.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
StickMaker
Connoisseur

Mark, I did all that; I wonder if my results are what you intended. If you don't mind too much......

Here are my "Notes to self" and a picture to show the final result which is not what I had expected; looks like it will take a lot of cleanup like my previous method. Did I do what you intended?

To print a list of all your books:

Install Calibre from http:

Plug the Kindle into the computer

Start | All Programs | Calibre | Calibre - E-book Management

First you need to "bring your books into Calibre" so click the "Add books" button

This opens the "Select books" dialog box.

Browse to the Kindle's "documents" folder and click any one of the books listed, then Ctrl-A to select ALL
the books.

Leave "File name:" blank; click "Open" and watch the books being added.

You will note that there are many duplications

Select the "Convert Books" menu and there, select ""create a catalog of the books in your calibre library."

In the "CSV/XML Options" tab, click on the fields you want in your list, click "Apply" and "OK" note that
when you get there, all are selected in blue; click the fields you do NOT want to turn those white.

In the "Catalog options" tab, choose XML for the format and click Apply and OK

At the bottom-left corner of Calibre you will see that it is generating the new catalog.

This opens the "Select destination for My Books.xml" dialog box; at the top change it to save the new catalog
on the desktop; you can leave "Folder" blank; click "Select Folder" and "My Books.xml" appears on the desktop.