Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #271
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
Oh, interesting. I haven't read all seven pages, so I'm sorry if this has been explained already (I'll read if you're tired of people too lazy to read seven pages. It's not 2, but it's not 22 pages, either ). But what happens if it updates and the hacks aren't compatible anymore? Isn't there a way to not install an update until I hear from others that it'll work with the hacks?
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:14 AM   #272
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Then the hacks wouldn't work 'till an update (of the hacks). No big deal.

If you're really worried about it, you can disable (without uninstalling) the hacks by removing/renaming the "auto" file in the linkfonts & linkss folders, and then restarting your Kindle.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-22-2010 at 01:23 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #273
rbbcpa
rbbcpa began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I read the readme for ebs' timeout hack and I didn't see a reference to how to uninstall the hack. Is it as simple as setting the timeout value to 600 seconds? Please advise.
rbbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #274
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It depends on your device (ie. might be 1200 on a DX), check the install log, but, yes.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #275
OhEmGee!
Reader
OhEmGee! began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3-3g, Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Then the hacks wouldn't work 'till an update (of the hacks). No big deal.

That's what I'm trying to avoid -a replay of the 2.5 update that left people without hacks for a few weeks.

If you're really worried about it, you can disable (without uninstalling) the hacks by removing/renaming the "auto" file in the linkfonts & linkss folders, and then restarting your Kindle.
?? I think I may not have been clear. The hacks are more desirable than the updates. I want to control installation of the updates. I want to stop auto updates so I can wait until the hacks are updated, then I'd install the update. Bottom line is I want hacks working at all times -updates can wait

Can I install the previous version of the hacks? 3.5 and 0.8? If I installed those would Amazon auto updates be prevented from auto installing? That's what I want. If so, where can I find 3.5 and 0.8? I have the version before those currently installed.

*sigh* If I could be less wordy I could probably be clearer .
OhEmGee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #276
rbbcpa
rbbcpa began at the beginning.

Once again, thanks!
rbbcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #277
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@OhEmGee!: No, you can't. (Well, yes, leave your Whispernet off).

Using previous versions wouldn't change much, and anyway, I won't provide older, buggy revisions. If you want a hack that's not update-safe, use another hack. Or patch this one to throw a wrench in the unlink* scripts. (By using a custom prettyversion.txt and commenting out the prettyversion unmounting, for example).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-22-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #278
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay! It's been talked about a few times on KB, and I said I'd give it a try... So here it is!

Bigger fonts, everywhere (Home screens, menu & co.).

There's 3 variants:

Museo_Slab_BIG_125: Everything made 125% bigger. Everything's more or less okay, without things bleeding out of frames or menus.

Museo_Slab_BIG: Serif @ 150%, Sans @125%. Same as before, more or less no graphic bugs, but the Serif (Used in Books & Booklist) is even bigger!

Museo_Slab_BIG_150: Everything @150%. Now, it's *really* big, and there *is* bleedout & graphical bugs (menus, dictionary popup, settings screen mostly). But it's not *that* bad, and the rest is okay.

(These sets are based on the Museo_Slab set).

You can grab all that in post #3: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...07&postcount=3

Check the few screenshots attached. (_150 is Museo_Slab_BIG_150, and the rest is Museo_Slab_BIG. I didn't take screens of Museo_Slab_BIG_125).

The book screens are taken at size 3 (the default).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	big_mix_coll.gif
Views:	1662
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	55587   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_mix_book.gif
Views:	1723
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	55588   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_mix_menu.gif
Views:	1504
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	55589   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_150_collection.gif
Views:	1480
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	55590   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_150_book.gif
Views:	1518
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	55591   Click image for larger version

Name:	big_150_menu.gif
Views:	1355
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	55592  

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-23-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #279
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hey, NiLuJe: can I use those, but then overwrite the applicable fonts with Georgia2 just for the actual book text? If so, which ones would I copy over from the Georgia2 font pack?

Thanks again for all your work on this.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #280
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yes, by only overwriting the Serif_*.ttf files. Keep in mind though that Serif_Bold is also used in the Home screens for the books listing (Title & Author)...

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:01 AM   #281
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Okay! It's been talked about a few times on KB, and I said I'd give it a try... So here it is!
My mum will say

Do you realise that the font size in the books can now be super huge too?

Last edited by Pushka; 07-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #282
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I didn't check, but I guess that's like one/two sizes up? You'll have to hit a lot of 'Next Page' at the largest size now .

So, yeah, side-effect: probably more battery drain (more fade-to-black screen flashes).
Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 AM   #283
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I am thinking one word a page!

To people with a vision disability, it means they can read again. And that is priceless! Thankyou again.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:16 AM   #284
NogDog
Noggin (1998-2011)
NogDog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Yes, by only overwriting the Serif_*.ttf files. Keep in mind though that Serif_Bold is also used in the Home screens for the books listing (Title & Author)...
Thanks, maybe I'll play around with it tomorrow (OK, today) or Saturday and see how it works out.
NogDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #285
yuriman2002
Bibliobibulus
yuriman2002 began at the beginning.

Museo Slab is one good looking font... However, after I installed it, all my Russian books turned to gobbledegook. So, it's back to Droid - not nearly as pretty, but unicode-friendly.
yuriman2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet