Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #1
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRSt2, pocket edge
hand written notes + 10" e-reader

Hi,

I'm looking for a ~10" device capable of note taking on PDFs. Looking at older models both because of budget and b/c I don't want a touch screen (avoid accidental touch etc. I still use a blackberry :-p), so I'm only looking at older pen devices.
The edge can do it, but it's big/heavy and very old (android 2.2).

From what I saw I should be looking at:
Irex 1000
Boox m92/m96
pocketbook 903/912

I prefer linux, but android kitkat is also fine.

Reading the wiki etc. I saw the pocket book has issues with PDF - does anyone know if it was resolved?
and are there any other models I should look at?
mkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #2
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Galaxy Tab A 10.0. tablet. Can be had on sale for 250, used for less than that. It is touch but has palm rejection. It has excellent noting taking apps. Lecture Notes, One Note, Quid, and others including PDF annotation apps. It uses Wacom which is the best pen type you can buy for note taking. Writing is very smooth and you it doesn't register touch if the pen is near the screen.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Galaxy Tab A 10.0. tablet. Can be had on sale for 250, used for less than that. It is touch but has palm rejection. It has excellent noting taking apps. Lecture Notes, One Note, Quid, and others including PDF annotation apps. It uses Wacom which is the best pen type you can buy for note taking. Writing is very smooth and you it doesn't register touch if the pen is near the screen.
There are two models of this tablet: one with an S-Pen and one without. I have the one with the S-Pen and it's a fine device for notes and drawing and as good as you describe. The Galaxy Tab A 10 without the SPen is just another tablet and you can't use it with a digital stylus and with a capacative stylus it doesn't have palm rejection. So if you get this one be sure to get the right one.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
BoorJamal
BoorJamal began at the beginning.

Device: ReMarkable, Entourage Edge
I recomend you reMarkable eBook reader.

10.3" display
Linux
E-ink carta
Pena with 2000 levels of pressure
Can read/write epubs and pdf

I think that is perfect for you
BoorJamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoorJamal View Post

10.3" display
Linux
E-ink carta

Is it available for sale now? And shipping?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
BoorJamal
BoorJamal began at the beginning.

Device: ReMarkable, Entourage Edge
Is available, but first batch is just departed. Second batch, my batch, will ship up to four weeks from now. Third batch will be shipped in October or so. If you biy it now maybe you receive it on November or December.
BoorJamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #7
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
There are two models of this tablet: one with an S-Pen and one without. I have the one with the S-Pen and it's a fine device for notes and drawing and as good as you describe.
Barry
You're right. I had forgotten that there were two models. I don't know what the ops budget is but this tablet is the best bang for the buck when it comes to note-taking devices. I also have the Galaxy Tab S3 with S Pen. Its double the price and a nice unit but its not worth double the price. It's just a matter if you need top of the line screen, a more premium build and an extra 16gb of storage. The added storage is nice I'll admit, but spending that, 499 on sale, 597 normal prices. Now you're in iPad Pro range. Also very good at drawing and handwriting but a lot more storage options. I've always found the ereader note annotation devices to be lacking. Usually underpowered and overpriced. I demand complete smoothness with no lag when writing. Perhaps today's devices are better but you can do so much more with a tablet.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I agree that the Samsung devices with S-Pen are excellent (I have the Note Pro 12.2). If you don't mind the backlit LCD screen, they are much more versatile than any e-ink reader or tablet.
If you prefer e-ink and only need a good reading and handwriting experience, I recommend the Hanvon E930. It's virtually unknown outside of China, but it's one of the most advanced e-ink tablets, with dual touch and frontlight, 10-inch screen, and pleasant writing experience with virtually zero lag.
You can order it from China (new) or check the MobileRead Flea Market for used devices.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #9
mkm
Enthusiast
mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mkm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Strictly e-paper, I cannot concentrate reading on LCD, but I appreciate the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoorJamal View Post

10.3" display
Linux
E-ink carta

Sounds real good, though pricey. I think I'll wait for reviews then decide if I'm willing to spend the extra so I guess I'll be waiting a few more months before I'll buy something. This is just a pen, not a dual screen, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
with dual touch and frontlight, 10-inch screen, and pleasant writing experience with virtually zero lag
I know it's a rare beast nowadays, but I'd rather it be just w/ pen capabilities and not touch. It's more like paper that way, I hate it when accidental touches makes it go crazy change page/mode etc.

Thank you all for the suggestions! appreciate it!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm View Post
Strictly e-paper, I cannot concentrate reading on LCD, but I appreciate the input.

Sounds real good, though pricey. I think I'll wait for reviews then decide if I'm willing to spend the extra so I guess I'll be waiting a few more months before I'll buy something. This is just a pen, not a dual screen, correct?

I know it's a rare beast nowadays, but I'd rather it be just w/ pen capabilities and not touch. It's more like paper that way, I hate it when accidental touches makes it go crazy change page/mode etc.

Thank you all for the suggestions! appreciate it!
With this last post, I don't think anyone has made what you are looking for.

I am curious as to why you can't concentrate with LCD.
Is the light too bright or too many distractions?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
mkm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I am curious as to why you can't concentrate with LCD.
Is the light too bright or too many distractions?
Dunno, just not the same. I concentrate best reading paper, but I need to read a lot of PDF articles and it's just annoying to print all the time not to mention the mess.
Most people I know can't read properly on LCD either, not properly.
I found that on e-paper I can concentrate pretty well. If it's really important I'll still print it though.
When I read I concentrate quite a bit, it's not casual light reading like a newspaper or web forums or whatever. It's thorough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
With this last post, I don't think anyone has made what you are looking for.
As I wrote before, the Irex 1000s, pocketbook pro 903/912 and boox m92/m96 all have pen capabilities with no touch and 10" screen.
The ReMarkable seems to be similar (according to the video in the link at least), the price tag is high though, but I'll get a newer OS so if it will really be as good as it looks I might consider it.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
In that case since you do have a few choices, get what best fits your budget and good luck in all your studies.

I still find paper works best for some things. Cross stitch patterns come to mind.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote