Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 AM   #1291
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
I was encountering cases where scanned pages of a magazine with two columns were not being detected as such. On a hunch I added "-as" to my command line and it appears to have fixed the problem. Watching as the program ran I don't recall seeing a rotation exceeding +/-1 degree, but it appears that the columns were tight enough that even a minor rotation was a problem with recognition.

Perhaps this will save someone having similar problems some time fixing it.

Dave
Thank you my friend for your post, it's a great help.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #1292
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim1406 View Post
Thank you my friend for your post, it's a great help.
I'll add something to my 2-column help page about using auto-straighten and maybe add a pointer to it in the FAQ page.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #1293
Anairb
Anairb began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
Mac Installation problems

I'm trying to install k2pdfopt on my MacBook Pro 64bit (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013; 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5). I download it, follow the instructions, using Terminal, it appears on my desktop, but when I click on it, I get the message that it is damaged and should be moved to Trash. I've re-downloaded it several times, always with the same result. What do I do?
Anairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:21 PM   #1294
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anairb View Post
I'm trying to install k2pdfopt on my MacBook Pro 64bit (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013; 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5). I download it, follow the instructions, using Terminal, it appears on my desktop, but when I click on it, I get the message that it is damaged and should be moved to Trash. I've re-downloaded it several times, always with the same result. What do I do?
Did you try the 32-bit and 64-bit versions both? Difficult to tell what it might be. This is not a common complaint from Mac users. What is the size of the download (exact number of bytes)?
Old 08-30-2016, 01:00 PM   #1295
prokofiev5822
prokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Smartphone Android Nexus 5
Processing pages with paragraphs and tables

I want to downsize a scanned document containing on the same page paragraphs of text and tables, all with the same text size. Naturally , I use the default mode with text wrap option. The result is excellent for text, but the tables are misconfigured because k2pdfopt considers them as paragraphs of text. Tables don't contain vertical lines. Is it possible to tell the program not restructure the tables, but only text paragraphs? Thanks
prokofiev5822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #1296
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokofiev5822 View Post
I want to downsize a scanned document containing on the same page paragraphs of text and tables, all with the same text size. Naturally , I use the default mode with text wrap option. The result is excellent for text, but the tables are misconfigured because k2pdfopt considers them as paragraphs of text. Tables don't contain vertical lines. Is it possible to tell the program not restructure the tables, but only text paragraphs? Thanks
Welcome to MR. It is difficult to tell what is a table just using a graphical layout analysis when the tables do not have a box around them. Can you post an example or two of what you are talking about (the source PDF file)?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:10 AM   #1297
prokofiev5822
prokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenprokofiev5822 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Thanks for your fast answer!

Here you can see an example of table and text in the same page...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf print.pdf (609.8 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #1298
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokofiev5822 View Post
Thanks for your fast answer!

Here you can see an example of table and text in the same page...
Yeah, those types of tables are difficult to auto-detect. All I can suggest is that you don't use text re-flow (e.g. try -mode fitwidth to read the document in landscape mode on your reading device) or that you manually edit your PDF and add black boxes around the tables. Sorry there isn't a better solution right now.

PS. MS Word (Office 365) did a nice job converting your page to text using OCR, but it still had trouble with the table. See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip print.zip (54.3 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by willus; 09-01-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 AM   #1299
prokofiev5822

Thank you very much. I already assumed that it was not easy to solve this problem , so I had edited the document to add a black box around the table and, yes, k2pdfopt does a magnificent job with the document. It is not the perfect solution , but it's enough for me.

Thank you very much...
Old 09-02-2016, 03:25 PM   #1300
Poul
Poul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenPoul has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle (2016)
Edit: Never mind.

Last edited by Poul; 09-07-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Poul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:03 PM   #1301
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poul View Post
Edit: Never mind.
Sorry if I didn't see your post in time. I did not get an e-mail notice on this one for some reason. Sometimes that happens when posts come in too close together. Hopefully you resolved your issue.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #1302
knntmr
knntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sorry if I am posting a solven issue.

Is there any way to make k2pdf read the file name instead of metadata? I have numbers on each article in my library for PhD research. But My Kobo Aura H20 seem to show metadata as the file name, and it makes it really hard to find what you need in a 40-ish number large list of articles.

Or is it possible for k2pdf to stamp the given filename onto the metadata of the pdf?

I'm also open for suggestions; clearly I'm new in this area of devices.

Thanks in advance,
knntmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #1303
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knntmr View Post
Sorry if I am posting a solven issue.

Is there any way to make k2pdf read the file name instead of metadata? I have numbers on each article in my library for PhD research. But My Kobo Aura H20 seem to show metadata as the file name, and it makes it really hard to find what you need in a 40-ish number large list of articles.

Or is it possible for k2pdf to stamp the given filename onto the metadata of the pdf?

I'm also open for suggestions; clearly I'm new in this area of devices.

Thanks in advance,
There is not currently a direct option to put the file name into the TITLE metadata field, but you can specify that meta data on the command-line:
Code:
k2pdfopt -title "My Title" ...
So you could probably develop a script relatively easily that would generate a set of commands to substitute the file name for the title.

PS. I'll add that feature request to my list.

Last edited by willus; 09-10-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #1304
knntmr
knntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenknntmr has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
There is not currently a direct option to put the file name into the TITLE metadata field, but you can specify that meta data on the command-line:
Code:
k2pdfopt -title "My Title" ...
So you could probably develop a script relatively easily that would generate a set of commands to substitute the file name for the title.

PS. I'll add that feature request to my list.
Many thanks for immediate reply, I'll try to do that.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:12 PM   #1305
knntmr

Ok, for now renaming with adding -title ".." worked very well.

My second issue is with the tables. I assume there is no perfect way for the program to detect tables and leave them as they are.

In a 2-column pdf, I generally prefer to reflow into 1.

But,

A. Sometimes there are pages in landscape mode with a full blown table.
B. Sometimes there are tables occupying half of the page and then followed by two columns.

In my experience, the conversion is butchering the tables in these scenarios. These also tend to happen in 1 column articles in some occasions. Is there any way to prevent this?

For example:

A: Leaving a selected page as it is and converting/reflowing the rest.
B: Manually selecting a section of one page (for a half-pager table) and reflowing the rest of the sections on that page.

It will be perfect for me if I can solve this issue.

Again, many thanks.

Last edited by knntmr; 09-11-2016 at 12:14 PM.

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools