Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Sony PRS-600 screen - can you get use to it?

I'm debating between the BeBook Neo and the PRS-600. I would buy the Neo, but it's just a tad bit out of my price range. So my question is: do you get use to the screen of the PRS-600? I found that it's not as sharp as the others b/c of the touch feature, and even in the sony store the lighting was so bright that I couldn't read the screen at some angles.

Thoughts?
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
My concern here is more for the lack of ``palm rejection'' --- when experimenting w/ a PRS-600 demo unit I've always been able to angle it so that the screen was readable, but I quite often got extra jagged lines from where my knuckles would touch the screen when trying to draw / write on the display....

Would any users care to comment?

I've been considering the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60, but it's apparently as large as a 1st generation Kindle (and I rejected the Kindle 'cause it wouldn't fit in my shirt pockets).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
My concern here is more for the lack of ``palm rejection'' --- when experimenting w/ a PRS-600 demo unit I've always been able to angle it so that the screen was readable, but I quite often got extra jagged lines from where my knuckles would touch the screen when trying to draw / write on the display....
Would any users care to comment?
I've used annotation on my PRS-600 extensively. No probably whatsoever with this.

Quote:
I've been considering the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60, but it's apparently as large as a 1st generation Kindle
No, it isn't.

The Kindle 1 is 203x135mm
The Neo is 196x121mm
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Thanks! (for the note on no issues w/ getting extra jagged lines).

The size of the BeBook Neo while a bit smaller than the 1st Gen Kindle, does seem to be closer to the latter (in height) than to the size of a PRS-600 (~175mm x ~122mm x ~9.7mm), but since the width and thickness are closer to that of the PRS-600 it might be small enough for me....

Thanks!

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
If you can't read the screen at some angles - don't use those angles...

The advantage of a hand-held unit is you can tilt it any way you like - just like a book.

I an a happy 600 user.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Just read straight on, no need to read at an angle, lol
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I understand that some people cannot get past the screen issue but i barely remember the screen at all once i'm concentrating on reading.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Some people do seem to be more "sensitive" to these issues from others, but I honestly think that there is a tendency for them to be blown up out of all proportion by people who have never actually used the device themselves.

For me personally, the Neo is the better machine, but before I got my Neo, it was the PRS-600 that I was using daily. The 600 is a very, very good book reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I have my PRS600 since September last year and love it. No problems with the glare here as I always seem to find an angle that suits the situation.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Lastly for all those PRS-600 users... Do you find it a bit heavy? Or am I being a wimp? I guess I'm comparing it to the PRS-300, which is obviously much lighter.
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx666 View Post
Lastly for all those PRS-600 users... Do you find it a bit heavy? Or am I being a wimp? I guess I'm comparing it to the PRS-300, which is obviously much lighter.
Sounds like you are a wimp - the PRS600 is definately lighter than some of the books I read. I bought 'New York' (E Rutherfurd) as pBook but it was too heavy for me (I got spoiled by the reader) and went and bought it as eBook - what a delight to read it in bed.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #12
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
I do find it a bit heavy compared to some other readers like the jetbook and cooler. Without a cover, its weight is acceptable to hold with one hand. But with the sony cover, i find it heavy enough to feel the weight. Feels solid though, and i feel more compelled to treat it with more care.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote