Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
The 12 YO Anarchist in me. . .

Wants to read some really good post-apocalyptic stories from a modern writer. I'm a bit over zombies, the first 1-2 books in a series tend to be good, but then they just devolve into 'killing zombies'.

I'm open to any other trigger though, War, famine, pestilence, alien invasion. But it needs to center on how people react to the "New World Order" and less on the trigger. Saying that, I'd hate to pass on a good story about the 'trigger' either!

Any suggestions?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
What sorts of books do you usually like to read?

Meanwhile, you could look at Severance, Station Eleven, New York 2140, some of Paolo Bacigalupi's books, Octavia Butler's "Parable" books, Clade, Atwood's Maddaddam books, Song for a New Day, The Swan Book, Who Fears Death, the Broken Earth trilogy, and Lotus Blue.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 03:14 AM   #3
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I second the suggestion Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (2014). Most of the elements are not that novel, but the way it is told was quite different and after some early reservations I liked it very much.

There are also two interconnected novellas by Maia Sepp that I quite enjoyed. An Etiquette Guide to the End Times and Wake. They used to be available everywhere (I got them from Kobo) but I think they went exclusive to Amazon some time ago. The first is mostly post-apocalypse, the second is more of the apocalypse in motion. In my reviews I've described them as the "world ending with a whimper rather than a bang" and "the cosy apocalypse". Their lack of violence actually made them seem quite real to me.

Last edited by gmw; 09-12-2021 at 03:17 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 06:20 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
How modern? The Postman by David Brin was published in 1985, and it was a pick for The New Mobile Read Book Club.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
How modern? The Postman by David Brin was published in 1985, and it was a pick for The New Mobile Read Book Club.
Yes! I loved "The Postman", and I'm one of the 6 people who liked the movie. Actually, I think Costner's science fiction movies are generally underrated, as are Charleton Heston's.
Advert
Old 09-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More apocalypse than post-apocalypse
Spoiler:
seems like there ain't gonna be much "post" to write about
, The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters (2012) is a good read. There are three relatively short novels in the series - I thought they were all good.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

And a series I haven't read yet, but my wife enjoyed them: The Rampart Trilogy by M.R. Carey. First book is The Book of Koli.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Earth Abides, by George R. Stewart.

Limbo, by Bernard Wolfe.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #9
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Alan E. Nourse did one about plague back in 1983.

The Fourth Horseman

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Horsem.../dp/B00GTUYP3I

I liked it.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
He also published a book in 1974 about organ harvesting. The title was Bladerunner and when Phillip K. Dick's book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was made into a movie it confused the hell out of me at first.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
And a series I haven't read yet, but my wife enjoyed them: The Rampart Trilogy by M.R. Carey. First book is The Book of Koli.
Thanks for this suggestion! I bought the first book in the series.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #12
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Wants to read some really good post-apocalyptic stories from a modern writer. I'm a bit over zombies, the first 1-2 books in a series tend to be good, but then they just devolve into 'killing zombies'.

I'm open to any other trigger though, War, famine, pestilence, alien invasion. But it needs to center on how people react to the "New World Order" and less on the trigger. Saying that, I'd hate to pass on a good story about the 'trigger' either!

Any suggestions?
This may or may not push your buttons. The new novel from Andy Wier ("The Martian") is called "Project Hail Mary." It almost meets your criteria, but has two parallel-ish storylines.

Spoiler-free description: the apocalyptic stuff is told in flashback as the main character awakens from a medically-induced coma, and begins to recover the memories that he's humanity's last hope for survival.

Last edited by curtw; 09-14-2021 at 02:35 PM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:39 PM   #13
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Depending on your preferences and what exactly you are looking for, I quite enjoyed One Second After, by William R. Forstchen.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
davtay
The Continental
davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davtay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yes! I loved "The Postman", and I'm one of the 6 people who liked the movie. Actually, I think Costner's science fiction movies are generally underrated, as are Charleton Heston's.

I'm number 7. I loved the movie.
davtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 09:35 PM   #15
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
Far North: A Novel by Marcel Theroux. Rarely seen on post-apocalyptic lists but one of my favorites.

The Dog Stars by Peter Heller
The Old Man and the Wasteland by Nick Cole novella
The Savage Boy by Nick Cole
A Boy and His Dog at the End of the World by C. A. Fletcher
The Dead Lands by Benjamin Percy

American War by Omar El Akkad. This is more of a regional post-apocalyptic story. The southern USA lost the second civil war and suffer oppression from the north. I suspect that the author wanted to mirror and develop empathy for the Palestinian problems.
John K is offline   Reply With Quote