Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your Covid vaccination status?
I’ve had both shots. 3 3.45%
I’ve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I haven’t got it yet. 2 2.30%
I’m qualified in my state or region and want it, but haven’t been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
I’m not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one. 0 0%
I’m opposed to the vaccine on principle and won’t get one. 2 2.30%
I’m waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
There’s no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 05:13 PM   #61
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'd rather be sick for months, than dead for eternity.
Nevermind the risk of being a spreader even if you don't get sick at all...
Old 02-20-2021, 07:35 PM   #62
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
I don't buy that.

Suppose that a vaccine tested against COVID prevented all deaths from the disease, but everyone who took the vaccine got long haul COVID. There's no way that vaccine should, or would, be authorized. And Barbara1955 is, as I read it, saying that she believes, based on experience with some other vaccines (tetnus? diphtheria? flu? pneumococcal?) a COVID vaccine would give her a long haul illness.

I was given the Moderna first dose, just this afternoon, after having read the evidence concerning benefits and risks. I think the benefit-risk ratio is better than with other vaccines (and I take all my family doctor suggests). But AFAIK, in our society, adults like Barbara1955 are allowed to make their own medical decisions. Pressuring strangers, whose medical history I don't have, to make the same judgment I do doesn't feel right to me.

What if, God-forbid, the next time there is a new virus as easy to catch as COVID, it kills with the lethality rate of rabies (maybe something like 99 percent) or smallpox (maybe 30 percent). Then I expect physicians would refuse to treat those who declined vaccination, or the government would force-jab refusers. But in this more borderline situation, where the death rate is closer to 1 percent, I think this is between her and her physician.

I do agree with the point in #61. But there are other ways Barbara1955 can reduce the chances of giving the illness to others, such as not flying on an airliner.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:56 PM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Suppose that a vaccine tested against COVID prevented all deaths from the disease, but everyone who took the vaccine got long haul COVID. There's no way that vaccine should, or would, be authorized. And Barbara1955 is, as I read it, saying that she believes, based on experience with some other vaccines (tetnus? diphtheria? flu? pneumococcal?) a COVID vaccine would give her a long haul illness.
Given the studies done by the vaccine manufacturers, can you point out where there is any evidence of "long haul COVID" triggered by the vaccine? Or is this a hypothetical situation you are running up the flagpole?

I have to agree that it is Barbara1955's decision to make. After all, it is her life to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
What if, God-forbid, the next time there is a new virus as easy to catch as COVID, it kills with the lethality rate of rabies (maybe something like 99 percent) or smallpox (maybe 30 percent). Then I expect physicians would refuse to treat those who declined vaccination, or the government would force-jab refusers. But in this more borderline situation, where the death rate is closer to 1 percent, I think this is between her and her physician.
I tend to believe is that those who refuse to be vaccinated have no right to medical services that they are not billed for when they contract the disease—they've made a choice and can and should be held responsible for the costs and consequences of that choice.

Admittedly as a Canadian with universal Medicare, that is a nastier view than for Americans who rather often do not medical insurance.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:27 PM   #64
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
So move to Canada.

IMO, it's their choice to make, and as @DNSB said, their life to lose.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #65
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
My partner got a kidney transplant last year, is diabetic and 47. And, based on the actual rules, he'll have to wait until people his age get called. They completely ignore high risk population and decided to go only with age for general population.
From what I have read, age is the biggest factor in mortality. Far more significant than other medical conditions and immunosuppressed (spelling?) individuals. While many things can make you greater risk, age is the greatest risk. So it makes sense for age to be the primary consideration in determining a pecking order.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:56 PM   #66
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
I almost DIED from the Flu shot TWICE! 1st time I was Sick 6 months1 2nd time a Year! You dont like it go take a Long Walk off a Short Bridge!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:59 PM   #67
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Given the studies done by the vaccine manufacturers, can you point out where there is any evidence of "long haul COVID" triggered by the vaccine? Or is this a hypothetical situation you are running up the flagpole?

I have to agree that it is Barbara1955's decision to make. After all, it is her life to lose.

I tend to believe is that those who refuse to be vaccinated have no right to medical services that they are not billed for when they contract the disease—they've made a choice and can and should be held responsible for the costs and consequences of that choice.

Admittedly as a Canadian with universal Medicare, that is a nastier view than for Americans who rather often do not medical insurance.
No problem I am a VET! ALL my medical is FREE.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:07 PM   #68
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Nevermind the risk of being a spreader even if you don't get sick at all...
I am Not a Carrier! My son was Tested Jan 1st Before they took him into OR. I been Tested Several times like about Every time I go to VA about my MERSA every 3 months.

THE Worst is OTHERS! I am Not a huggy person But Since the Covid pandemic Even after the Gov of WV made it a LAW Not to get within 6 feet & wear masks. I had people I dont know Crowd me Hug me pat me on my arms Ever after I tell them No Touch I have MERSA! Seems to me they WANT to get Sick!
Old 02-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #69
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
No problem I am a VET! ALL my medical is FREE.
I see the issue as being that while it's wonderful that YOUR care is free, part of the rational for the vaccine is to prevent YOU getting the disease and passing it onto other people, who might NOT have the luxury of free health care.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:12 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I am Not a Carrier! My son was Tested Jan 1st Before they took him into OR. I been Tested Several times like about Every time I go to VA about my MERSA every 3 months.
Is it MERSA or MRSA?
Old 02-21-2021, 04:14 PM   #71
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
From what I have read, age is the biggest factor in mortality. Far more significant than other medical conditions and immunosuppressed (spelling?) individuals. While many things can make you greater risk, age is the greatest risk. So it makes sense for age to be the primary consideration in determining a pecking order.
As much it makes sense to have an age priority, it does not make sense to only take age in consideration.
Why not put vulnerable people / high risk profiles in a higher priority order than general population?
His COVID risk factors are : diabetes + kidney disease + lower immune system due to the anti-rejection drugs.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #72
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is it MERSA or MRSA?
Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus sooo MRSA
Old 02-21-2021, 04:29 PM   #73
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Sad part is KIDS are DYING cause they cant get the shot.... CDC does Not know if its Safe or how much to give to Children...
Old 02-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #74
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
As much it makes sense to have an age priority, it does not make sense to only take age in consideration.
Why not put vulnerable people / high risk profiles in a higher priority order than general population?
His COVID risk factors are : diabetes + kidney disease + lower immune system due to the anti-rejection drugs.
You CAN get it IF you are in High Risk Job or Medical problems. Age makes no difference. Before the VA called me with shots were given out to the 80+ people my Drs wanted me to get them. Not all my Drs are at the VA I use drs away from the VA on a Lot of things. Including Diabetes. Immune problems do to Thyroid problems.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #75
DNSB
Bibliophagist

For anyone who is interested in what conditions are considered as at increased risk and might be at increased risk, you can check the CDC site at People with Certain Medical Conditions.
Closed Thread