I would love a copy...
dogbreath999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
dogbreath999
dogbreath999 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdarend View Post
As I had a lot of files to convert from EPUB to MOBI (and they were all giving me the left margin problem) I decided to write a small program to overwrite the stylesheet.css file with one of my own definition.

If anyone wants a copy let me know.
I would love one...
dogbreath999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 10:31 PM   #18
Tuffgong4
Tuffgong4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Just got my kindle 3, converted a bunch of epubs and got the same problem. I have a lot of epubs and would love to try your app out mvdarend!

I thought it was weird so I threw one of the epubs on my sister's nook and there is no spacing problem, only on the kindle...weird.
Tuffgong4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
DThor
DThor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
While I appreciate the philosophy of not fiddling with formatting, surely when we're talking about epub books(an increasing standard already heavily in use) and kindle users(a significant percentile of e-reader users, only bound to get larger after the K3), couldn't it be considered as an option in epub translation? I've done this hack on several books now and it's *really* easy and *incredibly* tedious. Whenever I encounter anything like that remotely associated with a computer, I say 'automate it'. A single toggle - set all left/right margins to 0 - defaulting to off?

DT
DThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
opena ticket and attach a few different files showing this behavior. I'll look into adding an option in MOBI Output for it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #21
bravoland
bravoland began at the beginning.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook Lite
i had the same issue with epub to mobi. this thread was a great help.
bravoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravoland View Post
i had the same issue with epub to mobi. this thread was a great help.
Try using epub tweak on the epub and edit the css file with notepad++ revaluing all left-margins to 0 then save prior to converting to mobi.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Try using epub tweak on the epub and edit the css file with notepad++ revaluing all left-margins to 0 then save prior to converting to mobi.
No, don't change all left margins to 0. That could ruin some of the formatting. Not all left margins are supposed to be 0. When you want text that is in from the left margin like a character reading a letter (for example). You can't just willy-nilly change things without knowing what it is you are changing.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #24
mvdarend
mvdarend doesn't littermvdarend doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Quote:
As I had a lot of files to convert from EPUB to MOBI (and they were all giving me the left margin problem) I decided to write a small program to overwrite the stylesheet.css file with one of my own definition.
Sorry for the delay, I have sent everyone that asked for it a download link to the application.

Am I allowed to link to it from here?
mvdarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

If anyone wants a copy let me know.
But what you are doing is possibly making things worse. You are changing the stylesheet willy-nilly. This is a bad idea as you can totally throw off the formatting and make things not quite right or worse, totally awful. It is better to hand edit the stylesheet to fix the left margin issue.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:34 AM   #26
mvdarend

Quote:
But what you are doing is possibly making things worse
Quite possibly yes, but all of the EPUB files I needed to convert had almost the same stylesheet. Also, it doesn't overwrite the original file, it makes a copy with the new stylesheet, so you can always discard it if it doesn't work.

Of course you don't have to use it. But it saved me lots of time, I managed to process +/- 600 files in about 30 seconds.

Last edited by mvdarend; 09-09-2010 at 05:37 AM. Reason: speeling...
Old 09-09-2010, 06:04 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Quite possibly yes, but all of the EPUB files I needed to convert had almost the same stylesheet. Also, it doesn't overwrite the original file, it makes a copy with the new stylesheet, so you can always discard it if it doesn't work.

Of course you don't have to use it. But it saved me lots of time, I managed to process +/- 600 files in about 30 seconds.
Almost, only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. Almost doesn't count when dealing with CSS.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM   #28
mvdarend

Quote:
Almost, only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes. Almost doesn't count when dealing with CSS.
Geez, you try to help some people out....

Get back to me when your your website validates....
Old 09-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #29
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Am I allowed to link to it from here?
Yes .
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #30
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Please provide a link, and add a warning to use at your own risk. If the original file is untouched - using this program does not sound too risky to me.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote