Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-29-2023, 03:50 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Such a lot of help here but getting so confused
I tried new things a year ago when I upgraded to Windows 11 and lost Documents folder,when I decided to move it to create more space on D Drive!
PC still works well but am still mad at myself.

I thought that webpage I found seemed to give me clear instructions how to add the converion plug in.
But clicking on the one you suggested just tells to to download DeDRM_tools_10.0.3.zip
Not what to do with it
Or even if to delete the Alf one?

Sorry to be ignorant but am an oldie and not sure.
If I find instructions for anything I always print them out so not to make mistakes
Maybe it does have the correct instructions. But I won't go there to look and see. I won't have anything to do with it because they are making money from the DeDRM code they have no right to steal.

As for the version, you want 10.0.9 and not 10.0.3. Where it shows 10.0.3, click under that where it shows + 4 releases.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 05:51 AM   #32
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Thanks Wolf.
Just trying to decide what to do.
Would like to update. But....
I will be devastated if I get it wrong.
And am unable to convert books I buy from various sources.
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 07:24 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks Wolf.
Just trying to decide what to do.
Would like to update. But....
I will be devastated if I get it wrong.
And am unable to convert books I buy from various sources.
That won't be an issue. I've done the upgrade and there were no issues.

But in order to be safe justy in case, backup calibre's configuration directory. You can find where the configuration directory is by going to Preferences > Miscellaneous > Open calibre configuration folder and then make a copy and you can upgrade knowing your existing configuration is safe.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-29-2023 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:44 AM   #34
MRM66
Connoisseur

But does that mean I could go back if theres a problem?

Also not sure if I download the plug what part of it to add to calibre
Old 08-29-2023, 10:10 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
But does that mean I could go back if theres a problem?

Also not sure if I download the plug what part of it to add to calibre
It means if something happens with the upgrade, you can go back. But it won't go south.

As for DeDRM, the plugin is in the ZIP file you've downloaded.
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 01:31 PM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I keep the previous download of updates until the next update after succeeds.
So I have a Calibre624 in my downloads. That will be removed when 6.6 is stable. (I also remove Problem downloads as soon as the patch appears)
So looking back, I have the previous version of those tools to fall back to.

Note: Some of the updates are required just because Calibre is now using a newer version of its building blocks (eg Python, QT...) Kovid does post long before this happens so that PI authors are ready
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #37
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You also need to configure the deDRM. And even installing it may be an issue for non-technical people.

I don't update Calibre every time an update is released. Often not in several months. There's no need unless you have a problem or you want something the new version offers.
I am hesitating in case I mess things up. Don't know much about configuring the deDRM also.
Old 10-21-2023, 12:22 PM   #38
rosemaryknits
rosemaryknits began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite
Quote:
I am hesitating in case I mess things up. Don't know much about configuring the deDRM also.
I read through this thread with great interest. I also have a 4.something version of calibre and in the past, I updated and lost the ability to remove DRM. I was able to go back to the version that de-drm'ed but first, I had a panic!

Did you update? Did you install the new No DRM? Did it go well?
rosemaryknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #39
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemaryknits View Post
I read through this thread with great interest. I also have a 4.something version of calibre and in the past, I updated and lost the ability to remove DRM. I was able to go back to the version that de-drm'ed but first, I had a panic!

Did you update? Did you install the new No DRM? Did it go well?
I have not updated yet as it worried me.
I'm not well at the moment so still not sure
What would you advise?
Old 10-21-2023, 11:08 PM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what this may be worth, I just killed a couple of hours helping one friend of mine install calibre on their new computer. They were running 3.48 32bit on their old Win7 machine and are now running 6.29 64bit on their new Win11 computer.

Basically, we downloaded the update versions of the plugins they were using and wanted to continue with including downloading the latest DeDRM from NoDRMs site. Since we had decided not to export their calibre setup so we did not inherit their old settings, we did screenshots of the settings on the plugins they were going to continue using and the two custom columns they wanted to continue using. Finally, we copied their old calibre library to a flash drive along with the plugins we had downloaded, the screenshots and other bits and bobs.

With all this done, we moved to the new computer, installed calibre, installed the plugins from the flash drive using the load plugin from file tool, added the custom columns and copied the few settings we had wanted to save. Once all that looked happy, we imported their old calibre library using the add from folders and subfolder option. This was relatively easy since the old library had only epub files so each directory contained 1 book in 1 format. We waited about 30 minutes enjoying a coffee while the library was imported We then checked the library which came up with no errors.

Comparing the old library with the new one showed the same book count and a quick check did not seem to show any missing covers, metadata, etc. At that point, we created a new library called Intake since they seemed to like the idea of having an working library where metadata is updated, files are edited, etc. before they are copied to the main library. Since they'd been holding off for a couple of weeks, we added the new ebook downloads to the intake library, updated the metadata, ran PageCount and edited a couple to clean up the layout.

There will probably be a few glitches over the next while but over all, it went very smoothly. <straining arm patting ones self on back>
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 02:44 PM   #41
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is 100% wrong. The current version work even better then the one you are running now. It's a good idea to keep updated whenever a new version is released. You won't get support for an old version should you need. The suggestion will be to upgrade and then report back if you still have a problem.

If you run DeDRM, you will need to upgrade that. Download and install 10.0.9.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
It says go to file, butt hen there is no file? There's a bunch of scripts, but no file to download?
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 03:13 PM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
It says go to file, butt hen there is no file? There's a bunch of scripts, but no file to download?
Click the blue link that says + 4 releases
Old 11-24-2023, 05:26 PM   #43
JollyRoger
Zealot
JollyRoger is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
You need a bloody degree just to find files
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:09 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyRoger View Post
You need a bloody degree just to find files
Pretty standard behaviour for GitHub. Try finding the calibre betas for more fun.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 03:01 AM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Pretty standard behaviour for GitHub. Try finding the calibre betas for more fun.
Wot?
I just used the link Kovid provided in the Beta Notice (and I book marked it years ago )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote