Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-28-2023, 11:31 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
By already configured: we mean that it inherits your Alf's configuration.

No DRM is one of those that MR does not host, (We can only mention it, no further help allowed) so the Calibre Notice and update tool does not work. That does not stop you from installing it the same way all other Calibre PI get done. Preference Plugins.

Always read the release notes on the download page if you are using an old OS
Kovid always discusses Major coming changes that might affect existing plugins.

IF there are any USER issues with Calibre or its plugins, they will be mentioned here, usually within hours of release. So just check here

You do have me a bit puzzled. Why are you waiting to convert your books? (or were you including new purchases in this use)
Once converted, they are a part of your Library and just need to be delivered (USB or email) at a later date? That part (or if necessary, an OS 'file Copy') will always work. AFAIK Calibre has never removed a format support. Calibre 2.0 was limited to newer OS when it was discovered that it was unreliable under XP. There simply are no NEW 32 bit releases being made. All older 32 bit releases are still available for download
Staying as current as you can, means new devices and file types are supported.
And you'll have any improvements made to eBook conversions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:48 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you'll have any improvements made to eBook conversions.
But what you have is still usable.
People seem to believe that UP conversion, always improves something.
It does not. Anything NOT in the source is a GUESS by the up converter. (Some guesses are pretty good. Some suck.)

And Calibre can and does EMBED metadata without converting
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 11:50 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
But what you have is still usable.
People seem to believe that UP conversion, always improves something.
It does not. Anything NOT in the source is a GUESS by the up converter. (Some guesses are pretty good. Some suck.)

And Calibre can and does EMBED metadata without converting
Modify ePub does a good job of embedding metadata in ePub without changing the code.

If it's an original KF8, I prefer loading it into the editor and editing it by hand.
Old 08-28-2023, 12:10 PM   #19
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
I am even more confused now. Last I heard ages ago was to stick with an earlier version of Calibre as the newer ones were not compatible with conversion.
So now they are...... and if I decide to upgrade I just click on the latest one it shows available on calibres screen?
And will Google show me where NoDrm is then?

I always update my pc programs but with Calibre I get worried about messing up
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am still confused: Conversion IS part of Calibre. Or are you using the KFX plugins to up convert?
There are OLDER plugins that are not maintained that will no longer work with newer Calibre Major versions. Preferences:getplugins: (select installed at the top to see if what you have installed): The Calibre column list the required version to run

There are links to the No DRM site on MR (that is allowed, so here you are)
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 12:38 PM   #21
MRM66
Connoisseur

https://www.epubor.com/calibre-drm-removal-plugins.html

Can I do this?
Old 08-28-2023, 02:38 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Epubor ripped off Apprentice Alf and Harper's work and now they are continuing to rip off NoDRM and other contributors.

Instead of using their link, I would simply use the link posted in message #20 ( https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/releases to download the latest version.

Download the .zip file, extract the two .zip files inside it and use Calibre => Preferences => Plugins => Load plugin from file to install them. If you have any issues, this is about as far as we can go on MobileRead so you will have to use Discussions on NoDRM's github for further help.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-28-2023 at 02:42 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:43 PM   #23
MRM66
Connoisseur

Thanks. It just seemed easy too follow as I couldn't
remember how I did it ages ago.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:32 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I am even more confused now. Last I heard ages ago was to stick with an earlier version of Calibre as the newer ones were not compatible with conversion.
So now they are...... and if I decide to upgrade I just click on the latest one it shows available on calibres screen?
And will Google show me where NoDrm is then?

I always update my pc programs but with Calibre I get worried about messing up
I don't know where you got your information, but it's 100% WRONG! You source is useless. Calibre has always supported eBook conversion from day 1.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:34 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have no idea if you can do that as I will never ever go to that website since they charge for DRM removal tools that they stole from free source code for the DeDRM plugin for calibre.
Old 08-28-2023, 06:39 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I don't know where you got your information, but it's 100% WRONG! You source is useless. Calibre has always supported eBook conversion from day 1.
Conversion, yes, but there was a brief period when deDRM didn't work with new versions of Calibre. That was a long time ago, though.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 06:41 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks. It just seemed easy too follow as I couldn't
remember how I did it ages ago.
This will give you directions on how to install a plugin manually.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347331
Old 08-29-2023, 02:57 AM   #28
MRM66
Connoisseur

Question

Such a lot of help here but getting so confused
I tried new things a year ago when I upgraded to Windows 11 and lost Documents folder,when I decided to move it to create more space on D Drive!
PC still works well but am still mad at myself.

I thought that webpage I found seemed to give me clear instructions how to add the converion plug in.
But clicking on the one you suggested just tells to to download DeDRM_tools_10.0.3.zip
Not what to do with it
Or even if to delete the Alf one?

Sorry to be ignorant but am an oldie and not sure.
If I find instructions for anything I always print them out so not to make mistakes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PLUG INS.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	203422  
Old 08-29-2023, 03:23 AM   #29
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
This will give you directions on how to install a plugin manually.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347331
Page will not load sorry
Old 08-29-2023, 03:35 AM   #30
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Page will not load sorry
try this link

or

Code:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347331
(it's the same URL provided in the original post, but for some odd reason the one posted before doesn't seem to work on your browser. )
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote