Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-23-2023, 08:45 AM   #31
MRM66
Connoisseur
MRM66 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung A7 & A8 Tab.Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.00 & Kindle 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM66 View Post
Windows 11 verion 22H2
If I update will I still be able to convert?
And what format is best for me to convert to?
MRM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 08:48 AM   #32
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
If I update will I still be able to convert?
And what format is best for me to convert to?
Yes, you'll still be able to convert. To what format, depends on where you read them. For your old Kindle 2, convert to mobi.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 02:10 AM   #33
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, you'll still be able to convert. To what format, depends on where you read them. For your old Kindle 2, convert to mobi.
Thanks Sirtel thats a great help.
Didnt want to mess things up with my converions as wasnt sure.

So what version of Calibre should I update to and it will still work with coverting, without me having to do anything more then?
Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 AM   #34
MRM66
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need old versions of Calibre to be able to convert Mobi > KF8. The current version (whatever that may be) will always convert to KF8 and Mobi (if needed for an old Kindle).
Dont understand that as I always thought I could never upgrade, Calibre and still be able to convert to EPub and Mobi
Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 AM   #35
aborel
Enthusiast
aborel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

So what version of Calibre should I update to and it will still work with coverting, without me having to do anything more then?
calibre continues to support any conversion you need, so just use the latest version
aborel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2023, 04:12 AM   #36
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Dont understand that as I always thought I could never upgrade, Calibre and still be able to convert to EPub and Mobi
I don't know where you got the idea that calibre removed capability to support devices? Calibre has always added features

OTOH Some 3rd party plugins have not been updated to keep up with the core building blocks and OS changes.

And Why Mobi at all? You show a Android Tablet. You can use almost any app to read. Others have already stated AZW3/KF8 is a better format for newer Kindles. But AFAIK Amazon devices are the only ones that REQUIRE KF8 or Mobi
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:38 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The latest version of Calibre. Converting to Mobi will always work. So keep your Calibre updated to the latest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 04:40 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Calibre will always be able to convert to/from ePub and Mobi. So just keep yourself updated with the latest version.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:20 AM   #39
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

And Why Mobi at all? You show a Android Tablet. You can use almost any app to read. Others have already stated AZW3/KF8 is a better format for newer Kindles. But AFAIK Amazon devices are the only ones that REQUIRE KF8 or Mobi
The OP has said they also use an old 2nd gen. Kindle.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #40
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The OP has said they also use an old 2nd gen. Kindle.
I lost that bit over the length of this thread... But why is Kindle 2 not on their device list? I did look at that before I asked,
Old 05-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@MRM66, I suggest you put your Kindle 2 in a drawer someplace and buy a Kindle PW5 (Paperwhite 5th Gen). It will less heavy, larger screen, much better contrast, high-resolution, and it supports KF8.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:59 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@MRM66, I suggest you put your Kindle 2 in a drawer someplace and buy a Kindle PW5 (Paperwhite 5th Gen). It will less heavy, larger screen, much better contrast, high-resolution, and it supports KF8.
I'm surprised the battery is still good. (I replaced the one in my K4nt a while back)
The big A makes getting a battery for replacement difficult (you can't buy them from Amazon).