Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
How stable is your reader?

I've read more and more people complaining about the Reader crashing on them or not reading certain files. Mine has worked fine with every single file i've tried and has only crashed once in the ten months i've owned it while using it every day since i bought it.

The only time i remember it crashing was when i used it as a storage device to transport a program i had to write for college, the damn thing couldnt have picked a worse time just when the teacher asked me for my homework it crashed and took like 10 minutes to read all the books it had and since the teacher had already seen all my classmate's programs he was almost to the door to leave when it booted up again.

So is your reader stable or a buggy mess? if its buggy maybe its just the UK firmware?
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
Mine is extremely stable. I did have a few issues at first when I had all of my books on a single SD card. It took forever to index the SD and occasionally it appeared to freeze and require a reset. Once I separated my books by author and by SD card the situation was resolved. I suspect that if I had waited long enough the reader would have indexed the library after enough time had gone by. I read in several formats and have no appreciable issues.
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
No problems with crashing here, either. The only problem I ever had was battery life when reading off an SD card. Bought myself a MS Duo and that little problem went right away
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Mine is very, very stable. Haven't had a problem with it.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
My 500 has been rock solid since the second firmware update. I only had one or two problems with it since then.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #6
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've had mine for about a month, and last night was the first night I had any kind of problem.

I was demonstrating the reader to a friend, and was showing him how you can adjust the text size (I was using a Jonathan Kellerman book, Obsession, that I was reading), and the reader locked up. I went back to it later, and found that I could navigate to other books and the menu with no problems, but that particular page of that book would not respond (couldn't page forward or back, change text size, etc.).

I tried restarting the book from the beginning via the menu, and while trying to access the book, the reader shut down and rebooted. After that it was fine.

With that one exception, I've had zero problems so far.
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #7
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
My wife and I have only had ours for a little over a month, but have had no crashes at all.
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #8
aliencane
Enthusiast
aliencane is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, iPad
I've had my 505 since mid July. Updated firmware and customized with PRSCustomizer with no problems. Mine has been very stable. It's one of the best things I have ever purchased.
aliencane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
if I leave it flat on my desk it doesn't move in the slightest, but when stood on it's end it'll only stay stable if the cover is partway open. Wont balance on its corners at all

thank you, I'm here all week

had it for 18 months, not crashed once.

Last edited by Gravitas; 10-02-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
jwhayn
Enthusiast
jwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with othersjwhayn plays well with others

Device: Kindle Voyage
Stability

My PRS505 is by far the most stable electronic item I use.
jwhayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #11
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505
No issues over the 5 months of ownership. I've got over 800 .rtf/.pdf files on an SD card so it can take a couple of minutes for it to sort through those after disconnecting, but no freezeups or other instabilities.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:47 PM   #12
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhayn View Post
My PRS505 is by far the most stable electronic item I use.
yes
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
as long as you know the quirks, you can easily escape them.

Removing a card while reading a book is not a good idea.
Or adding/removing books while reading a book.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Apart from locking up if I disconnect the USB cable incorrectly, mine has been very stable.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
I have had my Sony Reader 505 since July and have noticed a few weird things. It has the updated firmware and I flashed it with PRS customizer to get the clock.

(1) Twice I have noticed that the clock time is off by one hour. I think this occurred immediately after downloading a book to the Reader using the Sony eBook Library software (ver 2.2.00.18100). When I use Calibre to transfer books to the Reader, the clock retains the correct time.

(2) After finishing my last book, I navigated back to the cover page and instead of displaying the cover image, it was blank. I then went to table of contents and switched to several other chapters and back to the cover, but the cover was blank each time. I then changed the font size on the Reader and as it was reformatting, the Reader rebooted and I lost all 8 bookmarks that I had set for that book.

(3) Very occasionally I notice an extreme delay in changing a page (it will take 5 or 10 seconds) instead of the normal 1 second.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stable