Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
How Seamless is ePUB --> AZW3 Conversion with Calibre?

I have been under the Nook ecosystem for about 4 years so all my e-books exist as ePUBs. I am considering migration to Amazon's Paperwhite so my current library has to be converted.

How seamless is the conversion? My main concern is a fair amount of my ePUBs have large amounts of footnotes/endnotes related to translations. Any common quirks I may see?
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I've never had a problem converting EPUB to AZW3. And endnotes carry over just fine.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've converted literally hundreds of ePub books to AZW3. Never a problem that I can recall. Conversion is flawless.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I did stub my toes with embedded fonts, with multiple font sizes for special effects (drop caps, dividers)

Kovid very speedily replied with the solution, bless him --- I didn't find the terminology in the interface to be very intuitive (my fault --- failure to Read The Manual !!!) --- you must DISABLE Font Rescaling.
see this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264450

So if you have extra-large or extra-small text pieces, check it out.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 10-22-2015 at 06:28 AM.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #5
squeebook
squeebook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
One thing to consider, don't do a mass convert at all. When you send an EPUB book to your Kindle, it will convert at that time to AZW3, then do a send seamlessly. So only the books you actually go to read from this point on are converted. Perhaps years in the future Amazon will support EPUBS (one can dream) or your next reader after your Kindle might, so you would be converting back anyways, possible with an odd formatting quirk creeping in.
squeebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I would ALWAYS recommend keeping your master format.
If you started with an EPUB, don't delete it after converting to AZW3!

Conversions of any type are pretty much always lossy. Always keep the master format around, and use it as the base for any conversions.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Even an ePub --> ePub conversion can cause problems, as Calibre does not retain the original structure of the CSS stylesheet. I would always keep a copy of the original ePub so that you have a reference point for correcting the problems caused by the conversion.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

calibre keeps around an ORIGINAL_EPUB for this exact reason.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
except that Kovid says that the original_format file is NOT a backup and should NOT be used as a backup

so if some future version of calibre zaps all such files without asking first, you have been warned.

He has repeatedly said that you should store your own backup versions outside of calibre.

Having said that, I live dangerously & keep mine inside of calibre, as backups . So far so good
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
except that Kovid says that the original_format file is NOT a backup and should NOT be used as a backup

so if some future version of calibre zaps all such files without asking first, you have been warned.

He has repeatedly said that you should store your own backup versions outside of calibre.

Having said that, I live dangerously & keep mine inside of calibre, as backups . So far so good
You keep raising this hobby horse of yours, and once again you are wrong.

The ORIGINAL_FMT that calibre keeps is a perfectly correct backup of a pre-automated-conversion ebook.

The ORIGINAL_FMT ebook will never be zapped. It will always zap the FMT ebook.
Which is exactly what it should do in @GeoffR's case.

And... that is exactly why the ORIGINAL_FMT facility exists in the first place.

Your case is as we keep telling you, completely different -- you want to keep multiple revisions, which is very different from a pre-conversion backup.
And the problem is that you run the risk of forgetting, trying to convert the book, and zapping the new revision.

calibre is designed to Do The Right Thing if you let it do the work -- so converting EPUB --> EPUB won't mess anything up, because calibre will automatically save the pre-conversion copy and use that for conversions.
When you mess around underneath calibre's skirts and add your own ORIGINAL_EPUB files, you're darn right you're living on the edge!

Stop trying to confuse people. Please.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-27-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't be bothered with this again, a forum search will find the instances of Kovid saying it is a temporary copy, not there to be used as a backup, check if you don't believe me .
Old 10-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #12
cybmole
Wizard

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=144753
Old 10-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

And from that link, ok so this is not kovid posting but he has expressed similar views" ....might be picking nits, but I have found other folks referring to these as backups when this is not their purpose, intention or function. A regular backup of the library is still something folks need to do to ensure they can recover from a catastrophic loss."
That's all I was referring to. No need to revisit the version control issue.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I absolutely refuse to get sucked into your still-continuing conflation of:
  • in-library backup/preservation of originals
  • revision control
and now
  • redundant offsite data backups

You know exactly what calibre is doing -- or would, if you'd dismount from your hobby horse and be honest with yourself.

Last edited by eschwartz; 10-27-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:55 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

cybmole, eschwartz is right, you never miss an opportunity to run this hobby horse in any race you can see an empty starting stall.

eschwartz, why don't you do us all a favor and not do what you always promise you won't do - get sucked in to arguing about other peoples pet peeves.

I suggest you find a pub and have a beer or two together, then afterwards you can go outside and have a donnybrook to settle the matter in the traditional way
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote